RECRUITING: Jeff Beverly to visit on May 3

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Foot speed doesn't mean a whole lot in basketball, especially in the post. It's all about quickness.
Footspeed is another convention for quickness. Call it what you want, but from what's online it looks as though he may have trouble guarding away from the paint. We'll see.

Stereotype

Apr 23, 2017
Tbh I kinda want us to maybe pick up a grad transfer forward like Beverly and get another sit out guard so we'll be in a really good situation for 18-19. Maybe give Babb the starting role at the 3 rotate him with Terrence Lewis, I know this is probably an unpopular opinion but when I look at Babb I see a guy with a lot of talented but not a ton of confidence. If he gets more reps during his junior season I think he could have a break out senior year.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Tbh I kinda want us to maybe pick up a grad transfer forward like Beverly and get another sit out guard so we'll be in a really good situation for 18-19. Maybe give Babb the starting role at the 3 rotate him with Terrence Lewis, I know this is probably an unpopular opinion but when I look at Babb I see a guy with a lot of talented but not a ton of confidence. If he gets more reps during his junior season I think he could have a break out senior year.

I feel like part of it was confidence, and part was Nick deferring to guys who were proven offensive threats. He's undoubtedly talented, and this year he shouldn't have to defer to anyone.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Obvious take: It's always an unknown when making the jump in competition. Some guys play up, some don't. I'm hoping he's one of those guys that excels by being around better players.

Like many have mentioned, Beverly wanting to be a Cyclone is huge. He may not be the homerun that we were anticipating, but I'm not going to underestimate his talent, especially when it's coupled with a desire to be here.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I am fine with getting Beverly. People just need to temper their expectations. If he gives ISU what Bowie did last year, I will be happy. What they really need is for Lard, Young, Kasongo, Babb, Long, Jackson and the incoming freshman to work their butts off to improve for next year. Oh yeah and landing Brown would help.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I am fine with getting Beverly. People just need to temper their expectations. If he gives ISU what Bowie did last year, I will be happy. What they really need is for Lard, Young, Kasongo, Babb, Long, Jackson and the incoming freshman to work their butts off to improve for next year. Oh yeah and landing Brown would help.

If we land a scoring guard two things need to happen IMO to be pretty good next year. Babb either needs to improve quite a bit or Lewis needs to be ready to go. Secondly someone between Beverly, Lard and Kasongo need to be solid

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

We first need to see about Brown. If he comes to ISU Prohm will start a 3 guard lineup. There are still wings and posts available well have a better idea on the roster look at the 3 spot in June. Weller-Babb is probably the favorite with the current roster day one right now. Lewis will be eased in. Long is another option that could be tried.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
Obvious take: It's always an unknown when making the jump in competition. Some guys play up, some don't. I'm hoping he's one of those guys that excels by being around better players.

I mean, dang, Monte even did this.

When some guard on the opposite team presented him a true challenge, he played 10x better.
But when we played western crap-all state with John Doe as their starting PG, he seemed disinterested most of the time.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I've said it before and I'll say it again bit I can see Babb having that big sophomore to junior jump that we saw with Ejim.

Aug 11, 2016
Yeah like Kane, there was a reason he played at Marshall. Oh wait he was good.
Or theres Merrill Holden. Of course there are exceptions like a Kane who was basically a grown man when he got here. My point was that expectations will be low so if he can contribute in any way that would be outstanding.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Or theres Merrill Holden. Of course there are exceptions like a Kane who was basically a grown man when he got here. My point was that expectations will be low so if he can contribute in any way that would be outstanding.

Good point Holden was predicted to be the starting Center for ISU and provide a rebounding defensive presence when he signed.
Beverly wouldn't have that type of expectations put on him. If he starts great. if he settles into a Bowie type role and provides a spark off the bench great. If he doesn't play much well it only ties up a scholly for a year slightly, disappointing but fine. Today I would expect the bowie role but we'd need to see how his game fits with the talent on ISU's roster.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron