Ref have no consequences

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I counted 4 non-calls for targeting on Baylor one of which rendered an ISU player unconscious. Art Briles ran a cleaner program at Baylor than than Aranda.

There were four worse than our game fixing call that I saw and one that maybe should’ve actually been called. The one where Brock was calling for a flag was leading with helmet and helmet to helmet was main contact, ISU was driving and the 15 yards and ejection on actual targeting would’ve helped them score just like it did when Baylor got the fake call.

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
Reeder didn’t get the sack. These refs said you can get unnecessary roughness if you jam a receiver too hard. Total crap call.
I've never seen that call and I saw Van Galder play. Speaking of Van Galder he was a sportscaster in St Louis for many years where I used to live. Another shock jock sportscaster made some disparaging remarks about Van Galder and the next day the guy showed up wearing sunglasses to hide the black eye he received as a result of the disparaging remarks.

RIP to a great Cyclone Tim Van Galder.

Reactions: BCClone

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
It’s pretty clear refs had an agenda they wanted to implement at certain points in the game. There is a lot of money being exchanged every week in college football and I don’t think for a second that refs are immune to it. Given how lax the NCAA and Big XII are on oversight, it’s not surprising to see this kind of thing happen every week. For some reason ISU is often the hunted party. It’s hard to remember games that ISU won due to blow calls.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
It’s pretty clear refs had an agenda they wanted to implement at certain points in the game. There is a lot of money being exchanged every week in college football and I don’t think for a second that refs are immune to it. Given how lax the NCAA and Big XII are on oversight, it’s not surprising to see this kind of thing happen every week. For some reason ISU is often the hunted party. It’s hard to remember games that ISU won due to blow calls.
Only one I can remember is us hitting a halfcourt shot after the buzzer vs. Creighton in basketball like a decade ago.

We have certainly lost a lot of games on blown calls or bad officiating though.

• Agree
Reactions: Peter

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I counted 4 non-calls for targeting on Baylor one of which rendered an ISU player unconscious. Art Briles ran a cleaner program at Baylor than than Aranda.
Did Baylor hire that POS Greg Williams away from the NFL?

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I legit cannot think of a single ISU football game where we got all the bad calls in our favor allowing us to win a game we shouldn't have.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Only one I can remember is us hitting a halfcourt shot after the buzzer vs. Creighton in basketball like a decade ago.

The Oklahoma game in 2020 where they missed the PI at the end against Eisworth, but the year prior they missed a PI on the 2 point conversion to Pettway so I didn't feel bad about that one at all.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The Oklahoma game in 2020 where they missed the PI at the end against Eisworth, but the year prior they missed a PI on the 2 point conversion to Pettway so I didn't feel bad about that one at all.
ISU outplayed OU all day that day in 2020. They deserved the win regardless. I'm trying to come up with a game we should have easily lost without the calls helping.
This crap happens at home and the road.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

One or two bad calls happen, especially if the are quick close judgement calls. When it’s a cluster of 4-6 horrible one sided calls that all go one way and all make no sense, “chance” becomes far less likely than human intention.

The first half of this game was the worst I’ve seen since the end of the KU basketball game at Hilton that I think was 2013.

In no way do I think either of those were just chance. Who knows the motivation or reasoning but it was clear at the end of that game the officiating was crooked and it was clear in the first half yesterday. The odds that both were just chance or bad luck are astronomical when you look at how wrong and one sided the calls were compared to normal reality of the sport.

For example I was in KC for the “Seneca was in” game and I think he’s in, but that’s just luck/chance type of call and we remember it for how great the game was.

ISU had won that KU basketball game after they bricked that floater, it was a reversed win. ISU very clearly dominated and won first half yesterday yet somehow trailed 17-14 so don’t give me this “Baylor dominated” nonsense. They dominated one quarter after refs fixed half the game.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
ISU outplayed OU all day that day in 2020. They deserved the win regardless. I'm trying to come up with a game we should have easily lost without the calls helping.
This crap happens at home and the road.

You’re struggling because you need to find 3-4 horrifically bad calls in one game all favoring ISU.

KU @ Hilton that year in the span of two minutes:
- KU starter fouls out and they give foul to player who was touching nobody 15 feet away. Ridiculously wring call.
- KU gets away with charge on desperation shot. Wrong call but every charge/block is judgment call
- KU bricks another shot
- KU player allowed to jump on top of Niang for loose ball
- Niang called for foul because a KU player is laying on top of him

That’s the sort of ending or sequence you’re failing to find. You can find “his foot was barely out” or “he didn’t quite beat shot/game clock” because those are things that just happen to every team.

Even our notorious MSU ending in elite 8 was much more judgement calls than yesterday and that fixed KU ending…both big 12 games in our own facilities. It’s ISU and the officials the Big 12 retains/hires.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
One or two bad calls happen, especially if the are quick close judgement calls. When it’s a cluster of 4-6 horrible one sided calls that all go one way and all make no sense, “chance” becomes far less likely than human intention.

The first half of this game was the worst I’ve seen since the end of the KU basketball game at Hilton that I think was 2013.

In no way do I think either of those were just chance. Who knows the motivation or reasoning but it was clear at the end of that game the officiating was crooked and it was clear in the first half yesterday. The odds that both were just chance or bad luck are astronomical when you look at how wrong and one sided the calls were compared to normal reality of the sport.

For example I was in KC for the “Seneca was in” game and I think he’s in, but that’s just luck/chance type of call and we remember it for how great the game was.

ISU had won that KU basketball game after they bricked that floater, it was a reversed win. ISU very clearly dominated and won first half yesterday yet somehow trailed 17-14 so don’t give me this “Baylor dominated” nonsense. They dominated one quarter after refs fixed half the game.
I was at that Seneca was in game too at Arrowhead, and yeah everyone at the game thought he was in lol

IIRC though wasn't that before instant replay / review was officially introduced to the college game?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron