Alert: Regarding this week

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I got summoned awhile back but each time I called the number to see if I had to report and each time I lucky got a "no need to report message"

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'm out and am apparently not juror worthy.

Might have to go back on Wednesday though.

See you guys at Hilton tonight.

CW jury duty = NCAA Tournament for Des Moines. Has there ever been a time you were out and some big news did not happen?

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I served on a jury last fall and actually enjoyed it very much. Very cool to see how attorneys work. Trial I was on a guy was being charged with 1st degree theft. He was basically running a ponze scheme and took $180,000 from investors who thought he was investing the money but wasnt. So the second day of the trial starts and he doesn't show up. Turns out he went to Wisconsin where he lived and bought a ticket to India and was trying to flee the country.
Such a cliffhanger to this story...

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Been selected for jury duty only once for a case of a lady sueing an old lady for for slipping and falling on the ice that was on her sidewalk and hurting herself. It wasn't that the sidewalk wasn't scooped, because it was, but just not good enough with icemelt on it too for it to be completely safe. This was in Story County as I was summoned while I was a college student in Ames. All I remember is that one of the questions the lawyers asked me was what I thought about the term quote, unquote "frivelous lawsuits". My answer was that I thought they were stupid. Needless to say, I got booted in the first round of interviews. Overall, I don't think it takes much to get booted.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Oh man...The theory lives!

I think the CW Vaca Theory has delivered more consistently than the legendary Madden Curse over the years. Time to get a CF kickstarter going for his next vacation. We ship him off someplace warm for March Madness and sit back to enjoy watching Hoiberg and crew cutting down the nets for sure.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think the CW Vaca Theory has delivered more consistently than the legendary Madden Curse over the years. Time to get a CF kickstarter going for his next vacation. We ship him off someplace warm for March Madness and sit back to enjoy watching Hoiberg and crew cutting down the nets for sure.

At this point i'm beginning to think in terms of good news for ISU any money would be better spent on plane tickets and resort packages for CW than on a direct donation to ISU.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

When Fred gets us to the Final Four, there is no way CW is there covering it. That can't be allowed.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
[video=youtube;N90s-T1GV7M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N90s-T1GV7M[/video]

your first submission?

I had to watch all the way...Nova Scotia...through for the denouement. I was disappointed...Nova Scotia...that the guy didn't...Sydney, Nova Scotia...faint out at the end of that. Apparently...Halifax, Nova Scotia...it is okay to go for a walk...Nova Scotia...without sunscreen and without drinking water if you are recording yourself...Nova Scotia...on a cell phone.

Nova Scotia.

GottaTri

Jul 26, 2012
Just to be a counter-point for those that are obviously joking.

I have been called to jury duty twice, served once. In my trial an individual was video taped, identified by the victim and witnessed by an officer beating this man.

I had 3 people in my jury pool that still "weren't sure" he actually did it. It took a long time to convince them, I wonder if they had the misconception that they needed to be 100.00% sure it happened and if they have 0.0001% doubt they have to say innocent.

So, please, if you are a rational, fairly intelligent individual don't purposely get yourself out of jury duty. We need you there, jury trials can be a complete crap shoot with certain individuals.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

I have been called to jury duty twice, served once. In my trial an individual was video taped, identified by the victim and witnessed by an officer beating this man.

I had 3 people in my jury pool that still "weren't sure" he actually did it. It took a long time to convince them, I wonder if they had the misconception that they needed to be 100.00% sure it happened and if they have 0.0001% doubt they have to say innocent.

So, please, if you are a rational, fairly intelligent individual don't purposely get yourself out of jury duty. We need you there, jury trials can be a complete crap shoot with certain individuals.

Great post. My eyes were really opened today. I came away with SO MUCH respect for the process. I seriously had no idea what went into everything. When the judge calls it your most important civic duty, that is the truth.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Excellent point. It is a pain in the ***, but remember if you ever have to have a jury trial would you want to have a jury entirely of people who were too stupid to get out of jury duty? It is a pain, but a necessary pain for our democracy to work.

I served once, was passed over for one trial and seated on another. After a couple of hours it ended in a mistrial.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I've served on several - it's actually kind of interesting. I've heard, however, that if you walk into the courtroom and shout "they're all f*ing guilty!", odds are you won't be selected.

Not subtle enough. I suggest going the Madame Defarge route. Show up with wild disheveled hair, yarn and knitting needles and mutter “Guillotine, guillotine, guillotineâ€￾.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Chris - two words to use during your selection.

"Jury nullification"

:yes:

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Been selected for jury duty only once for a case of a lady sueing an old lady for for slipping and falling on the ice that was on her sidewalk and hurting herself. It wasn't that the sidewalk wasn't scooped, because it was, but just not good enough with icemelt on it too for it to be completely safe. This was in Story County as I was summoned while I was a college student in Ames. All I remember is that one of the questions the lawyers asked me was what I thought about the term quote, unquote "frivelous lawsuits". My answer was that I thought they were stupid. Needless to say, I got booted in the first round of interviews. Overall, I don't think it takes much to get booted.

Somewhat tangential, but the bolded reminded me of when a friend of mine got summoned for jury duty while a student at ISU. He's from Omaha, and got ISU to convince the court to remove him from the pool on the grounds that if he's enough of a resident to serve on a jury (in Ames) he's enough of a resident to pay in-state tuition.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron