Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I don't believe this for one moment, why would either OU or UT want to go a league that makes it harder for them to reach the playoff? For the money, both are in the top 10 in funding each year, with UT generally leading it.

If they want to go, then go enjoy going from leading the conference to now being one team in a conference where your opinion has less weight then those schools that have been their for decades.

I would say this is nothing more than both OU and UT trying to send a message to big 12 that it might be time to do away with our some what equal revenues and they want to be paid more for staying in the league.

That's my thought as well. Go from being traditionally #1 or #2 in the league and basically have a reserved slot in the new playoffs while playing against (let's be honest) a collection of mid-high level teams to playing in the chipper shredder that is the SEC?

I mean, yeah the bottom half of the SEC is garbage but the upper echelons are just monsters. Why fight against the monster when you get to be the monster.

The only play I could see here is if they are trying to position themselves for the SEC flipping the bird to the NCAA for college football, but if/when the SEC does that, it won't matter. The SEC will just take whomever they want.

• Agree
Reactions: scratch

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
It seems like this is incredibly shortsighted by Texas especially. The Big 12 caters to them, no way they would like playing second fiddle to Alabama in the SEC. I also don’t know how much success they could have considering they haven’t won the league in a while now.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Why did they add Rutgers and Maryland then? What do they bring to the conference other than big TV markets? If it was about better rivalries and balance wouldn't Pitt and Syracuse been better schools?

That was 7 years ago. And this next round of realignment won't happen for another 2 years. A lot changes in a decade.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm sure this is just about a contingency plan if the TV networks don't offer P5 type money in the next round.

Bit how big does the SEC get before it splits itself? They already have it setup where you could go 4 years without playing everyone else in your own conference.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
That was 7 years ago. And this next round of realignment won't happen for another 2 years. A lot changes in a decade.
None of which are Iowa's population getting bigger. The natural move if you are the Big 10 is UNC and the major markets of that state.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Why did they add Rutgers and Maryland then? What do they bring to the conference other than big TV markets? If it was about better rivalries and balance wouldn't Pitt and Syracuse been better schools?
Or why not ISU...well, due to the Iowa veto, that was never going to happen. As for OU...they are tied to OSU. I'd believe the OU and OSU to the SEC before any rumor of TX and OU. As for TX, no way they are going to a conference where they wouldn't be the top dog. Now, if a rumor comes out that the first combo to jump to the SEC gets it between TX and TTech or OK and OSU...that has more merit.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron