Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I agree with you. I think what fuels the frustration is Bowlsby gave the appearance that he was very confident of the Big XII's future and had a good handle on where all conference members stood, only to be blind sided very publicly by people he's known and trusted for a very long time. Most people would fall victim to that unless they're paranoid every waking moment of every day.

Exactly. And besides, what was Bowlsby going to say in that situation anyway? If he so much as hints that he has concerns about realignment, the firestorm would have totally engulfed Big 12 Media Days.

People are just grasping at straws for easy explanations for things that we've known were possibilities for 10 years.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone87

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I just can't express what a silly mindset this is. Of course he was blindsided - they worked really hard to keep it a secret! The media is on constant lookout for this stuff and they whiffed on it too.

The point is, he and others surely planned for this eventuality. A big part of that plan was building up the stability and financial security of the league over the last 10 years. And the more short-term part of that plan was very likely to do whatever the hell OU and UT wanted to keep them in the league.

Because that's all you can do when all the prevailing conditions are so stacked against you. It wasn't enough, and there's almost certainly no scenario where it ever would have been.

I hope you are right that we have a plan for this eventuality - clearly we don’t know yet. Because nothing good has been announced. Perhaps it is happening, but we don’t know. All we heard was Bowlsby meeting with the Pac 12 commish and the Pac-12 apparently teaming up with the B1G and ACC shortly thereafter. Another chance for Bob to get embarrassed.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I hope you are right that we have a plan for this eventuality - clearly we don’t know yet. Because nothing good has been announced. Perhaps it is happening, but we don’t know. All we heard was Bowlsby meeting with the Pac 12 commish and the Pac-12 apparently teaming up with the B1G and ACC shortly thereafter. Another chance for Bob to get embarrassed.

First off, I was only referring to the plan to keep OU and UT from leaving.

But once that's done, I think people should disabuse themselves of the idea that there's some sort of silver-bullet master plan to save the rest of us. If someone ain't buyin' what you're sellin' then there isn't much you can do.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
First off, I was only referring to the plan to keep OU and UT from leaving.

But once that's done, I think people should disabuse themselves of the idea that there's some sort of silver-bullet master plan to save the rest of us. If someone ain't buyin' what you're sellin' then there isn't much you can do.

So Bowlsby did a good job because why? He knew that this might happen? But only might? What value has he added over a replacement commissioner in this situation? I think it’s fair to say it’s much too early to tell - but that cuts both ways. Meaning he doesn’t deserve any sort of praise for how this is going.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Never heard of him.
Very big OU guy on Twitter who used to be 1000% anti SEC and just hilarious to Texas people on Twitter and now that the team he cheers for is in a good spot, he basically changed his entire stance on everything and just makes fun of the rest of the Big 12 while saying “he feels bad”. He’s such a patronizing douche now. I only follow him now because he sometimes tweets out expansion news.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Very big OU guy on Twitter who used to be 1000% anti SEC and just hilarious to Texas people on Twitter and now that the team he cheers for is in a good spot, he basically changed his entire stance on everything and just makes fun of the rest of the Big 12 while saying “he feels bad”. He’s such a patronizing douche now. I only follow him now because he sometimes tweets out expansion news.

Yes but is he heartbroken? That’s the sign that he really cares

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yes but is he heartbroken? That’s the sign that he really cares
Nah he just makes comments like “that new uniform of OSU’s will look great when they’re playing Tulane next year.” Turned into a gigantic troll. He used to be hilarious and now he’s fine with his team holding Texas’ inside pocket as they walk their candy asses to the SEC.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Though he got played, Bowlsby is the best shot we have at making the best of this. We can't bring in a new commissioner. I am glad Bowlsby went public after ESPN and hope the Wolf in him carries on. If he has proof of ESPN meddling, that is something. We have leverage over ESPN with OU and Texas with the next 4 years. Maybe he plays that card too. Maybe the SEC will need 8 more voting teams on their side to counter the Pac-12/Big 10/ACC possible alliance. Basically, we need a seat at the table for playoffs is high priority.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
So Bowlsby did a good job because why? He knew that this might happen? But only might? What value has he added over a replacement commissioner in this situation? I think it’s fair to say it’s much too early to tell - but that cuts both ways. Meaning he doesn’t deserve any sort of praise for how this is going.

I don't know how else to explain this. This a conference that was always very, very unlikely to be held together in this environment, by Bob Bowlsby or anyone else. In a different environment where universities might give up some small portion of their market value for the overall health of the sport around the country, perhaps things might have been different. But at least right now we're in the Wild West, where everyone is grabbing what they can for themselves.

I'm not "praising" Bowlsby. But you're asking him to singlehandledly turn the college football world upside-down by himself in order to preserve the Big 12, and that's an impossible ask.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I don't know how else to explain this. This a conference that was always very, very unlikely to be held together in this environment, by Bob Bowlsby or anyone else. In a different environment where universities might give up some small portion of their market value for the overall health of the sport around the country, perhaps things might have been different. But at least right now we're in the Wild West, where everyone is grabbing what they can for themselves.

I'm not "praising" Bowlsby. But you're asking him to singlehandledly turn the college football world upside-down by himself in order to preserve the Big 12, and that's an impossible ask.

You didn’t praise him, so that was an inaccurate description by me. But your last sentence is a huge strawman itself.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
You didn’t praise him, so that was an inaccurate description by me. But your last sentence is a huge strawman itself.
I think a lot of the issues people have with Bowlsby is that they believe Texas and OU when they said he could have done something to keep them happy.

I don't believe it's a strawman. I think it was the combination of the inherent instability in the Big 12 plus OU and UT's constant shiftiness, along with the impending collapse of the NCAA and NIL stuff that created a tidal wave that no one could have stopped. If all that stuff hadn't happened at once, maybe we had a shot.

Did OU and UT say he could have done something to keep them happy? I missed that. But I don't believe it. Maybe it buys us more time, but when has Texas ever been placated? We'd be right back here in a few more years.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017

I used to like RDS on Twitter but he’s turned into such a smug douchebag ever since this whole thing happened.

So basically fans of the remaining 8 should just smile and be happy about the situation.
wackaflocka.gif

Reactions: khardbored

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think a lot of the issues people have with Bowlsby is that they believe Texas and OU when they said he could have done something to keep them happy.

Why would anyone believe anything Texas or OU says related to staying in the Big12. They are chasing the money. If Bowlsby could have done something to keep them, I haven't heard it. Sure OU was ticked off about playing Nebraska at 11am, but I would blame Nebraska's lack of pull with FOX on that more than something the Big12/Bowlsby could have demanded.

The only way OU & UT would have been happy in the Big12 is if the conference agreed to give them vastly more in media $ than the other schools.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I agree with you. I think what fuels the frustration is Bowlsby gave the appearance that he was very confident of the Big XII's future and had a good handle on where all conference members stood, only to be blind sided very publicly by people he's known and trusted for a very long time. Most people would fall victim to that unless they're paranoid every waking moment of every day.
Can’t trust Texas and not only in sports.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
News?

Reactions: Number Monkey

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
What really sucks about all of this is that UT and OU maybe weren't giving serious thought to leaving. Enter Sankey. Sankey says to both that he is on a playoff expansion committee. Sankey says the committee is heading to 6 or 8 teams. Both say great news as the Big 12 champ will then make the playoffs. Sankey says to both that he will be steering the committee to 12 teams where he envisions 4-6 SEC teams, especially with ESPN controlling the playoff narrative angling as usual for the SEC. UT says "I'm in! OU, you coming?"

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
"And so a lot of the motivation for realignment is no longer there. Is that to say it couldn't happen? No, it could possibly happen for other reasons. But it doesn't appear to me that the motivation is there at this point in time. Not to say it couldn't happen, but it's not one of the things that keeps me up at night."

Bob Bowlsby on July 14.

Houston Chronicle report about UT and OU to the SEC was July 21.

I'm glad he got at least one more week of a good night's sleep though!
And, the irony, is he may still be right. The rest of the world needs to 'bite'. Those that play it cool will come up with a better non-monopolistic plan which will benefit the sport.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I used to like RDS on Twitter but he’s turned into such a smug douchebag ever since this whole thing happened.

Typical moron on Twitter thinking he’s saying something smart and snarky when his whole point is moot with elementary reading comprehension and reasoning. Nobody’s saying they are going to boycott CFB. They are saying if their team is relegated to a lower division with no chance at a playoff they will lose interest and not watch.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron