Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021

What happens to Iowa State's Matt Campbell?
The Cyclones head coach would already have been atop the wish list at places like Michigan and USC, which are both expected to have openings if the schools don't have outstanding seasons.

Campbell has been inordinately loyal to Ames, as he has resisted overtures the past few seasons from the highest levels of college and the NFL. Ames has been a perfect bubble for Campbell, who loves digging in with his team and is ambivalent toward the front facing parts of the job like media and engaging with boosters.

Iowa State has been able to thrive building what he likes to call a "life factory," not a "football factory."

But with Big 12 revenues destined to shrink and recruiting made more daunting by the lack of being able to sell a top conference, Campbell may turn to more of a traditional football factory.

He has pushed Iowa State through some glass ceilings, including four consecutive bowls for the first time in school history and a breakthrough Fiesta Bowl victory on the national state last season. He has built a staff fiercely loyal to him.

Can that last forever?

With 19 starters returning, this feels like a last call for Campbell in Ames. He should be able to have his pick of jobs in college and interest in the NFL.

The dilemma of Campbell doubles as the issue for the Big 12.

"Can you afford the coach?" asked a Big 12 source. "You could based on current revenues. But for the future, that's the uncertain part of it. The second piece is perception. Are you at the same level? Does the coach see it through that lens? Do they think their job just got harder? Is recruiting harder?"

Well Nebraska will be looking for a coach. Maybe there’s hope for you there

• Dumb
Reactions: Praxis Farms

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
No s*** we’d try to build a great football conference lol.

I think the point Max is alluding to is the league would go for the best football programs it could get, geography be damned. A conference with all of BYU, Boise, WVU, and UCF is not exactly compact. You could imagine a world where the B12 says we want Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, and one more somewhere along that footprint instead.

If Max is right then the Big 12 would surely go West and East.

West: BYU, Boise State, Texas Tech
East: UCF, West Virginia, Cincinnati

ISU KU KSU OSU TCU BU half in each division. Only assumption would be TCU and BU are split to get Texas in both divisions. Do a protected crossover rivalry and you can split ISU/KU/KSU as well if you want.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
No surprise here. SEC expects OUT to be competing for them next year.

So do I. They will write the check and settle. I'd be shocked if they aren't in the SEC in 2022.

• Agree
Reactions: Brandon

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Here is what the conference would look like under what Max Olson floated earlier today, with the insight that the Big 12 is reluctant to bring in Houston.

Big 12.png

If you forget about the money aspect, it is a really good football league.

Number Monkey

Aug 12, 2021
big12fanatics.com
Here is what the conference would look like under what Max Olson floated earlier today, with the insight that the Big 12 is reluctant to bring in Houston.

View attachment 88485

If you're going that route, I'd cut out Boise/BYU and bring in Memphis and either Houston or Temple or even Tulane The people are out east, not west.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
If you're going that route, I'd cut out Boise/BYU and bring in Memphis and either Houston or Temple or even Tulane The people are out east, not west.

Targeting markets over quality teams with good fanbases is a 2010 mentality. We want teams who (1) are quality opponents and (2) have fans that will pay for Amazon Prime to watch the games. No one in Philly cares about Temple.

Number Monkey

Aug 12, 2021
big12fanatics.com
Targeting markets over quality teams with good fanbases is a 2010 mentality. We want teams who (1) are quality opponents and (2) have fans that will pay for Amazon Prime to watch the games. No one in Philly cares about Temple.

Contrary to popular belief, Boise and BYU don't command a lot of eyeballs either. The concept of Memphis/Houston/Tulane/Temple, whatever, pick your poison, is central/east timezones, bridging the gap between the 7 and WVU, who do or have played competitive ball, in markets you can increase viewership.

• Informative
Reactions: Cloneon

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Contrary to popular belief, Boise and BYU don't command a lot of eyeballs either. The concept of Memphis/Houston/Tulane/Temple, whatever, pick your poison, is central/east timezones, bridging the gap between the 7 and WVU, who do or have played competitive ball, in markets you can increase viewership.

I’m skeptical that existing viewership data is apples to apples if the Big 12 is looking ahead to streaming. The numbers that matter would be, who has “avid fans” that go out of their way to seek out this content? I don’t know how any of the potential additions stack up there (I’m sure smart people with access to far more data are looking at this) but I am pretty sure Temple and Tulane are not looking good. Houston and Memphis, maybe. Although the Athletic report said the league doesn’t really wanna work with Houston, so if they’re only just as good as an alternative then they might be out.

This is also not even addressing the point that remaining a P5 league requires teams that play good football. BYU and Boise have done this; Temple and Tulane are not even close.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

I agree with your comment, but other than BYU... yuck. City College of Cincinnati, City College of Boise, City College of Memphis, and City College of Houston don't help with eyeballs or interest. The Directional School of Central Florida doesn't help either.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Let’s trade the PAC OSU/KSU for WSU/OSU and the B1G KU/ISU for MY/RU. Get people where they belong and protect the old big 8.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Going west would suck.

If the money is about equal, I think I also prefer swapping BYU and Boise for Memphis and Houston, and then creating a Big 12 East that includes the four new additions plus WVU and Baylor. The four Big 8 originals plus Tech and TCU would form a West division.

Reactions: Brandon

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

View attachment 88485

If we're doing that, then I like the idea of going to 16 with the service academies as someone posted in one of these threads recently.

Reactions: DarkStar

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

View attachment 88485

It's significantly better football conference than the ACC and Big East were for most of the 00s while they had "BCS" status. Before Clemson's resurgence, there were often years both of those conferences struggled to get a ranked team.

Probably stays in the top 4 of all conferences for hoops. B12 has been #1 pretty much every year in hoops since Nebraska left. Cincy is a legit add, BYU is a solid add, UCF and Boise are non factors...Texas and OU are the first significant hoops losses of the 6 teams that have left the big 12. A lot of the previous defectors actually made the Big 12 significantly tougher in hoops and are why it's been ranked #1 in computer models for a solid decade despite the media ignoring that reality.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
It's significantly better football conference than the ACC and Big East were for most of the 00s while they had "BCS" status. Before Clemson's resurgence, there were often years both of those conferences struggled to get a ranked team.

Probably stays in the top 4 of all conferences for hoops. B12 has been #1 pretty much every year in hoops since Nebraska left. Cincy is a legit add, BYU is a solid add, UCF and Boise are non factors...Texas and OU are the first significant hoops losses of the 6 teams that have left the big 12. A lot of the previous defectors actually made the Big 12 significantly tougher in hoops and are why it's been ranked #1 in computer models for a solid decade despite the media ignoring that reality.

I agree. In football, top to bottom it is right there with the Pac and ACC in quality, other than Clemson being a perennial top 4 team. In hoops, it has an elite anchor brand plus plenty of quality.

If the league can land a splashy Amazon deal that pays more than most people think, and if it can then go out and win FB and BB games within its first few years, it will do wonders for its perception as a major conference. I always think of Big East basketball in this way: that’s a league that easily could have slipped after that realignment wave, but they just won games from the jump, and they have basically established a P6 in hoops ever since.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I agree. In football, top to bottom it is right there with the Pac and ACC in quality, other than Clemson being a perennial top 4 team. In hoops, it has an elite anchor brand plus plenty of quality.

If the league can land a splashy Amazon deal that pays more than most people think, and if it can then go out and win FB and BB games within its first few years, it will do wonders for its perception as a major conference. I always think of Big East basketball in this way: that’s a league that easily could have slipped after that realignment wave, but they just won games from the jump, and they have basically established a P6 in hoops ever since.

I was about to unsubscribe from Paramount Plus after I had watched the shows I wanted...then I saw they added Italian soccer of which I am a fan...it's always been hard to follow jumping around obscure cable networks and crappy non-legit streams. I'm going to test it out and see.

If it's Amazon I have it already for numerous reasons...but football on Amazon would be one more reason to never subscribe to basic cable fantasy land where Rutgers delivers the city of new york's population.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
If you use attendance and its national LDS following to correlate for future streaming earnings potential, BYU is an absolute no brainer for B12 expansion along with its academics and location. Cincy would be the other no brainer due to location, attendance, academic profile and athletic facility investment as long as WV remains in the B12.

Going beyond one AAC or MWC school for B12 expansion would be foolish on the Big 12's part. 10 schools is optimal for a variety of reasons.

Reactions: StLouisClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron