Residential Solar Panels

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
The system. Not producing like I expected and I expected less than they stated.
That is what I expect on most systems, but it seems few who have it will admit that. My total annual electric bill is somewhere in the $2000-2500 range. I've been quoted 60K on a non battery system, but suspect 30K price tag is more reasonably sized and priced system. Even considering the "free" money from the government the payoff is at least 12 years IF it performs as advertised. My dad put a system in a year ago in southern Missouri. I'll see how that is doing and try and estimate the pay off myself. I have an ancient EE degree, so I wouldn't mind tinkering with a system, but also understand the limitations both as a individual and society. People don't understand how the unreliability of solar stresses the electric grid and that there is a real cost born by utilities managing it. California has a big problem with it. Look up the duck curve.

Reactions: GoldCy

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Solar isn’t inefficient. Compared to nuclear we don’t build, yes but not compared to coal.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and figure you meant to say "green" instead of "inefficient". Solar is definitely less efficient than coal.

• Agree
Reactions: cyphoon

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I'm not considering solar any time soon, but I pretty sure it's against our HOA. Anyone else have this issue?

I'm guessing with how times have changed in the last couple decades it's going to get to a point where local law/regs supercede and allow for solar despite what 25+ year HOA docs say (if it doesn't already).

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
I'm not considering solar any time soon, but I pretty sure it's against our HOA. Anyone else have this issue?

I'm guessing with how times have changed in the last couple decades it's going to get to a point where local law/regs supercede and allow for solar despite what 25+ year HOA docs say (if it doesn't already).
Illinois has this now. HOA's cannot prevent a roof mounted or ground mounted install. They also cannot regulate it in such a way that would cause more than a 10% reduction in output.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That is what I expect on most systems, but it seems few who have it will admit that. My total annual electric bill is somewhere in the $2000-2500 range. I've been quoted 60K on a non battery system, but suspect 30K price tag is more reasonably sized and priced system. Even considering the "free" money from the government the payoff is at least 12 years IF it performs as advertised. My dad put a system in a year ago in southern Missouri. I'll see how that is doing and try and estimate the pay off myself. I have an ancient EE degree, so I wouldn't mind tinkering with a system, but also understand the limitations both as an individual and society. People don't understand how the unreliability of solar stresses the electric grid and that there is a real cost born by utilities managing it. California has a big problem with it. Look up the duck curve.
I got the federal and state tax credit. A rural electric grant also. Since it’s a business I can depreciate the remainder and it will get the pay back to like 6 years. Total cost was 57,240. I had them size it to my second lowest bill so I would have one month where extra is produced and one where it’s break even. Problem is the metering works. It doesn’t come out well.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

**** HOA's

Reactions: 515 Apparel

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I read that Iowa law does not allow HOA's to restrict rooftop solar, but this is all I could find in the code.

"Iowa Code 564A.8. The law gives local city councils and county boards of supervisors the authority to implement ordinances prohibiting homeowners' associations or subdivisions from restricting or limiting the use of solar collectors. Local governments are tasked with adopting and administering these protections. See also, Iowa Code, § 18B.1 (Iowa smart planning principles), § 335.5 (Regulations and comprehensive plan — considerations and objectives — notice, adoption, distribution). "

Reactions: shadow

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Anyone had a door to door sales pitch on solar? Had a guy who said he was from vantage solar stop by yesterday but he didn't know the difference between Iowa and Iowa state so I am suspicious. Plus I cannot find a vantage solar online that is in the same time zone.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Anyone had a door to door sales pitch on solar? Had a guy who said he was from vantage solar stop by yesterday but he didn't know the difference between Iowa and Iowa state so I am suspicious. Plus I cannot find a vantage solar online that is in the same time zone.
Sounds like a scam - knock on doors until you find a confused eldery person who will write you a check on the spot.

Or someone outright casing your house.

• Winner
Reactions: shadow and 06_CY

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

I don't think an HOA can prevent you from solar, just like they can't prevent you from a satellite dish.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I read that Iowa law does not allow HOA's to restrict rooftop solar, but this is all I could find in the code.

"Iowa Code 564A.8. The law gives local city councils and county boards of supervisors the authority to implement ordinances prohibiting homeowners' associations or subdivisions from restricting or limiting the use of solar collectors. Local governments are tasked with adopting and administering these protections. See also, Iowa Code, § 18B.1 (Iowa smart planning principles), § 335.5 (Regulations and comprehensive plan — considerations and objectives — notice, adoption, distribution). "
Iowa has very few laws concerning HOAs. They need to address them.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I don't think an HOA can prevent you from solar, just like they can't prevent you from a satellite dish.
Your half right.
There are currently 25 states that are protected under the law for homeowners wanting to go solar. This includes: Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I personally think for the ~450/yr we pay, we get a decent value from our HOA. Understand the negative sentiment though.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
The HOAs that I've had the misfortune of being associated with harassed people for the dumbest stuff while doing nothing to those who totally neglect their property. What color you want to paint your house is no business of mine even if I live next to you, but neglected yards full of weeds and never mowed are. I just drove past the house I owned in a nice neighborhood in Bellevue, NE. Several yards next to my former home looked just like I described. While I lived there, the HOA did nothing constructive and spent most of their dues on lawyer fees putting liens on houses.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
The HOAs that I've had the misfortune of being associated with harassed people for the dumbest stuff while doing nothing to those who totally neglect their property. What color you want to paint your house is no business of mine even if I live next to you, but neglected yards full of weeds and never mowed are. I just drove past the house I owned in a nice neighborhood in Bellevue, NE. Several yards next to my former home looked just like I described. While I lived there, the HOA did nothing constructive and spent most of their dues on lawyer fees putting liens on houses.

Kinda strange to bump a thread about solar panels with zero activity for a month + to rant about HOAs...

Reactions: ISUAlum2002

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Bumping this as we are getting bids for solar. 10.8-11.34kW system

Anyone go with Tesla? If so, what experiences do you have with them. Their bid is the most affordable but I'm heard from a few people that the service is awful.

How is the performance for those that have gone solar compared to the projections from those companies prior to install? Anyone have multiple years of data on their systems?

Tax Credit....maybe @isufbcurt can answer. If we don't pay during tax time (we max what they take out through the year), do we receive the tax credits? Will we need to adjust withholdings to receive those creds? I can DM if need more specifics. I don't like the sales people answer when i speak on these. Some say I'll just receive a check at the end of the year and I know that is wrong.

I'm in NY so electric company/grants/credits are a different story than most. But as I run the numbers, financially it makes sense over 25 years and even more over the life of the panels. $0.30/W production grant. State tax cred 25% up to $5000. Fed tax 30%.

Couple things I'm seeing in the bid process now. Degradation rates 0.25-0.5% per year from all companies. Performance, parts and labor guarantees through year 25 but lifetime monitoring. Net metering is clutch. If that wasn't monthly here, we probably wouldn't do it. Panels being bid are 400-440W production.

Financing the project here seems favorable. Production grant to take price down right off the top. NYSERDA has a low interest loan and a couple of banks have low rates as well. Even with financing the project, we net substantial money over 25 years. With that being said, I'm projecting electric rates to increase annually at 3% (fair?) and usage to not increase substantially.

Thanks in advance for any help from anyone.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron