Response to frustrations

number1

Jan 6, 2010
I am a new member because I too was frustrated with the team (sic). We do not need a new coach----quite contrary we have a really good coach. I am not just a fan, I was a good player until I retired. How many of the people who post here have actually played much ball??? From my perspective we need a point guard real bad. One who sees the court and does not have to control the ball and dribble all the time. One who has speed, quickness and agility(footwork) side-to-side and back and forth for both offense and defense. Diante Garret is not a point guard but he is what we have. I think McDermott has really increased the athleticism but at a cost of team chemistry. When he has a chance to develop Christopherson and Colvin and Buckley it will make a dramatic increase in the teams competiveness from having a true point guard.

Reactions: Wesley

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The "I played basketball so I automatically know more than you do" argument. My favorite!

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
I am a new member because I too was frustrated with the team (sic). We do not need a new coach----quite contrary we have a really good coach. I am not just a fan, I was a good player until I retired. How many of the people who post here have actually played much ball??? From my perspective we need a point guard real bad. One who sees the court and does not have to control the ball and dribble all the time. One who has speed, quickness and agility(footwork) side-to-side and back and forth for both offense and defense. Diante Garret is not a point guard but he is what we have. I think McDermott has really increased the athleticism but at a cost of team chemistry. When he has a chance to develop Christopherson and Colvin and Buckley it will make a dramatic increase in the teams competiveness from having a true point guard.
Great job of throwing Diante under the bus while defending McD.

By the way, how long will it take our "really good coach" to develop Buckley?

LZclone

Oct 2, 2008
Mahomet IL via Laurens IA

Hopefully this will be your last post.

If DG is not a point guard and is playing as a point guard we have a coach who should be fired.

If he is the only choice as point guard he should be fired for not recruiting all needed positions.

You DO NOT develop point guards... you recruit them.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Has a heck of a lot more clout then the "I am an armchair coach so I automatically know more then you do"
Yeah I agree....there are certain things you learn playing the game that the lay person probably does not understand. Just being at practice and going through drills has a pretty good affect on a guy's intellect for the game, and I wasn't even a very good player.

Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I think you speak alot of truth here. Frankly, if Colvin grows up and this Phillips kid turns out to be a readymade Big12 point guard, we could be better next year in spite of the fact that Brackins and/or Gilstrap may be gone. Hard to fathom that, but, yes a good point guard really does make a huge difference.

I don't blame DG, in fact I really admire everything he has done for the program, but being inserted as a starting Big 12 point guard is bit more than he can chew.

Wahoo

Nov 27, 2006
What Warder said.

I definitely believe we need a PG, but what about the rebounding and defensive issues?

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco

I agree. Guard play, in particular PG play makes or breaks a major D1 team. Some of the worst teams we've had in recent memory were when we didn't have a very good PG.

Think back to the two years after Jacy, and the year after Tinsley. Those were awful seasons, and we ended up with shooting guards playing point. And these last few years have been almost as equally bad. I really like DG, and he is light years ahead of where he was as a freshman. But, he has played along-side at least 3 future NBA players during his time here, and we haven't won.

A good PG with either Wesley, Craig or Gilstrap really should be leading us to at least a .500 record in the conference, in my opinion. I don't think Greg is totally off the hook though, either, because he has yet to over-recruit Garrett. I believe that Colvin will end up being the best PG we have had since Stinson/Blalock, if he can keep his nose clean. And hopefully Phillips will be as good as advertised and can be an immediate impact. I think that Greg's job depends on it...

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
I remember the good ol days when people, old or new, could make a thread and not be run off the forums by the good ol boys club.

It's extremely refreshing to have a new opinion and a unique point of view.

It has been so long I can't say I remember, however, your point is well meant! +10000.

Z

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
DG is fine.
8.5 Points is completely acceptable from a point guard. He averages over 5 assists per game and have a 2.5 to 1 Assist to turnover ratio. He averages over 1.5 steals per game and is shooting at a 47% clip. The point guard area is not the issue. The only two areas which need to show improvement are from the free-throw line and his ability to finish at the rim.

People forget but DG is probably the best penetrator that we have had since JT. How many times does DG get into the lane with less than 10 seconds left on the shot clock and get a good look or even a great look for a teammate.

Relax as the team chemistry starts to come around this team will be fine.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron