Response to frustrations

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
GMac needs to get the team to actually run the damn offense. I had a 70 year old grandma sitting next to me who could see that the team wasn't moving or working to get open. It screwed us in the Duke game and damn near screwed us in the NDSU game. NDSU moved to get open and we didn't. If we ran an offense like NDSU, we win that game going away with tons of easy layups, dunks, and open shots.

Did you ever wonder if maybe they are actually "running the damn offense"?

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
This is the post of the day!!! I too, am really really tired of the good ol boys club.
They seem to think since this is a annonymous forum they can treat people like crap
anytime they want to. I don't think that running down the coach or the team is going
to do anything positive to improve things. I never thought my ignore list would grow
by adding (so called) Cyclonefanatics to it, It used to just consist of hawkeye trolls.

Yeah...like the original poster banging on DG?

Why are you so afraid of reading a post that you may not agree with?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I remember the good ol days when people, old or new, could make a thread and not be run off the forums by the good ol boys club.

This site is all about attacking the person, and not about debating someone's opinion. It's much easier to rip on people that come up with your own thoughts and then actually back them up with substance.

The problems with ISU men's basketball have nothing to do with individual talents. They have everything to do with team chemistry.

This. I won't say it has nothing to do with talent, but our struggles are far more chemistry and effort related than anything else.

I don't really blame DG and that light bulb finally came on for me this year. He was asked to do something he's really not suited to do. However, he's gotten noticeably better every single year. IMO, that's about all you can ask of a player.

I know everyone likes to slobber all over Craig Brackins - but can anyone say he has gotten better from his sophomore season to thus far in his junior season?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This site is all about attacking the person, and not about debating someone's opinion. It's much easier to rip on people that come up with your own thoughts and then actually back them up with substance.

This. I won't say it has nothing to do with talent, but our struggles are far more chemistry and effort related than anything else.

I don't really blame DG and that light bulb finally came on for me this year. He was asked to do something he's really not suited to do. However, he's gotten noticeably better every single year. IMO, that's about all you can ask of a player.

I know everyone likes to slobber all over Craig Brackins - but can anyone say he has gotten better from his sophomore season to thus far in his junior season?

I think this team's struggles are almost completely chemistry and effort related. For some reason, their heads haven't grasped that whole "we need each other" concept. It's like work on a bad day.

I think Craig's passing is better, and his outside shot is better, yet overall, he does not seem better. The whole is less than the sum of the parts in his game right now. Which is kind of fitting.

northernclone

Apr 11, 2006
Minnesota
Originally Posted by Cyberclone
This is the post of the day!!! I too, am really really tired of the good ol boys club.
They seem to think since this is a annonymous forum they can treat people like crap
anytime they want to. I don't think that running down the coach or the team is going
to do anything positive to improve things. I never thought my ignore list would grow
by adding (so called) Cyclonefanatics to it, It used to just consist of hawkeye trolls.

I dont believe he's refering to counter opinions. This site, however, has become completely overun by extreme mean spirited negative whining towards people that simply dont like to bash. Go back and read this string. You can say what you want, but the original post was nothing that should have caused people to react with such anger. In fact, I thought it was well written...regardless of whether or not I agree.

That is the reason I come to this site much less frequent than I used to. No...it's not because I'm afraid of posts I dont agree with. I came to this site when it was 1st created. Yes, there were differences of opinions. I like that part. It was, however, done in the spirit of "we're all on the same team and all want the same thing." I love how whenever people throw out concepts like I am...people like you throw out the "you just dont like to hear counter opinions." Did you ever stop to think that people dont like to read through people spewing angry crap at people that challenge what they think (I'm refering to people like you).

Go back and read your comment about the poster you quoted. Then look in the mirror. Seems more like you are whining to him because you didnt like his comment/opinion... than he did about yours.

Take a deep breath... relax... certainly give your counter opinions... but... by all means, dont forget your medication. Life's much more enjoyable if you can give opinions and counter opinions in an adult like manner.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Please point one out.

I look forward to seeing it.

Wow.

I will grant you that we are seeing fewer "GM is a great coach" posts these days but they still exist and clearly a lot of posters are blaming most, if not all, of our woes on the players and giving the guy in charge (GM) too much of a pass in my opinion.

They are all over this site...just open your eyes and read.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
Ok....I'm missing something here. ISU does not have a point guard. Yet, all the "point guards" currently on the team were recruited by the head coach. So, where is the problem? Did GMac not realize one needs a point guard on a basketball team, or does he think DG is one, or is DG just failing, or what?

If DG is not a point guard, then why is he playing one on the court? If GMac has not recruited any point guards, then why not? If he has not recruited a Big 12 capable point guard in 4 years, then why not?

See, for me it all comes back to the fact that GMac is in charge of the program, and if the program is messed up because of the players we have or who is playing, then it most definitely is his fault.

Someone who gets it! Great post.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
There are talent issues. There are coaching issues. There are chemistry issues. How much of each is open for debate...until the end of time.

Cyberclone

Aug 6, 2006

Oh, I'm not afraid to read a post that I disagree with. However I am also not
afraid to read a post of someone who may have a fresh opinion on something, I
realize, that not everyone has the time, to read every previous post and thread on
a subject before posting something. But it seems we have some self appointed
hatchet men, just waiting to pounce on someone, because there is something in it
that has been talked about before. It's really getting old, and that should be the
moderators job. Seems like the last few weeks CF is taking a bad turn, I don't see
what pupose it serves to treat someone like crap, whether it is a player, or a coach, or even another poster. Disagree with them, if you want, I just don't see
why it can't be done politely. Not as much fun, I guess, huh?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Wow.

I will grant you that we are seeing fewer "GM is a great coach" posts these days but they still exist and clearly a lot of posters are blaming most, if not all, of our woes on the players and giving the guy in charge (GM) too much of a pass in my opinion.

They are all over this site...just open your eyes and read.

So you can't find one. Good to know.

My eyes are open, I read this site everyday, and I find most of the posters, including you, blame EVERYTHING on the coach and seem to have an unending desire to see him fired immediately.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I honestly do not understand how someone can still support Mac has our coach. He has given us absolutely nothing to show us that he is a quality coach. Not one quality season, not one postseason tournament bid, not one upset over a quality team, numerous losses to teams with lesser or equal talent, no sign that he is good at developing players (aside from maybe Jiri), and no sign that players seem to enjoy playing for him. I would just love to know where, in this whole mess, some of you have found indicators that this program is headed in the right direction, and that Mac is the guy for the job.

Reactions: cyclonenum1

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I honestly do not understand how someone can still support Mac has our coach. He has given us absolutely nothing to show us that he is a quality coach. Not one quality season, not one postseason tournament bid, not one upset over a quality team, numerous losses to teams with lesser or equal talent, no sign that he is good at developing players (aside from maybe Jiri), and no sign that players seem to enjoy playing for him. I would just love to know where, in this whole mess, some of you have found indicators that this program is headed in the right direction, and that Mac is the guy for the job.

Dude, he took UNI to 3 straight NCAA Tournaments!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Originally Posted by Cyberclone

I dont believe he's refering to counter opinions. This site, however, has become completely overun by extreme 1mean spirited negative whining towards people that simply dont like to bash. Go back and read this string. You can say what you want, but the 2original post was nothing that should have caused people to react with such anger. In fact, I thought it was well written...regardless of whether or not I agree.

That is the reason I come to this site much less frequent than I used to. No...it's not because I'm afraid of posts I dont agree with. I came to this site when it was 1st created. Yes, there were differences of opinions. I like that part. It was, however, done in the spirit of "we're all on the same team and 3all want the same thing." I love how whenever people throw out concepts like I am...people like you throw out the "you just dont like to hear counter opinions." Did you ever stop to think that people dont like to read through 4people spewing angry crap at people that challenge what they think (I'm refering to people like you).

Go back and read your comment about the poster you quoted. Then 5look in the mirror. Seems more like you are whining to him because you didnt like his comment/opinion... than he did about yours.

Take a deep breath... relax... certainly give your counter opinions... but... 6by all means, dont forget your medication. Life's much more enjoyable if you can give opinions and counter opinions in an adult like manner.

This is a classic post!

1) Show me where I am mean spirited and whining. Am I negative toward GM at this point...you are damned right...because his results in 3.5 years as our HC have not been real positive.

2) Interesting. I consider my posts to be well written and am often responded to with venom and anger...people calling me a "hater" and the like. Do you have a problem with that?

3) Yeah, I'm not sure we all do want the same thing. For me, I want a program that I can be proud of...and that includes winning and being competitive. I don't want the Sam Mack, Kenny Pratt, Larry Eustachy stains on our program. I don't want us to be best known as the place Shawn Taggart and Wesley Johnson transferred from. I want us to be known for Hilton Magic, Elite Eights, and Sweet 16s. Unfortunately, it seems like some are content with the current status of our program since we have a coach that is a nice guy and is likely to stay as long as we will have him.

4) Again, show me the "angry crap" I have "spewed". Do I try to challenge what people think...yes. I also try to back up my thoughts with facts. I can back up my thought that GM is not getting the job done at ISU with easily quantifiable facts. Those that still think GM is a great coach cannot do this...they are the ones that are working purely on emotion...not me.

5) I do look in the mirror...maybe you should do the same after reading #6 below...

6) I am the "angry" one "spewing" "mean spirited" posts, huh? You close by intimating that I am unbalanced and need medications, I do not enjoy life, and I have been acting like a child. That sounds like a person that is pretty angry spewing mean spirited personal attacks to me.

Classic!

Reactions: CycloneErik

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
DG is not the issue. End of story.

As I stated yesterday...

"Diante is a good talent, no doubt. But IN MY OPINION, he's not, never was, and never will be a true "Point Guard." He has the handles but I think he lacks the natural point guard instincts and I do not think he's a very good or heady passer. I realize this is NOT all his fault, but our offense a lot of times has trouble getting initiated...instead of making it happen, he dribbles for 20 seconds out by half court. And he's almost no threat from the outside. That kills us. I know it isn't easy. PG is a difficult position to play and sometimes takes a couple years to "get it." I just have never thought DG had the right "stuff" to be a great PG. And just don't see him being the general that makes things go. That's not a bad thing. I'm not dissing him. Doesn't mean he can't be a leader. I think he has a lot talent as a basketball player. But his ceiling as a point guard just isn't very high, IMO. And yes I am well aware of his assist numbers, A/TO ratio, etc."

Sit down and watch our offense on tape, and rewind and focus on each piece to see how they are supposed to fit together. You'll see it's all on the PG (as is the case with the majority of offenses) to set the tone and get things initiated. Again, I am not trying to blast DG because I think the kid has a lot of talent and can help us win basketball games...but he's simply not the initiator/decision maker/passer that Mac's offense really needs. I am fully convinced of this now. And his struggles shooting from deep really hurts and overall makes us much easier to guard as a whole.

People need to ignore the stats in some cases...

EDIT: And as people have referenced above...if DG doesn't become the PG that this offense truly needs him to be, then that's most certainly Mac's fault for not finding the best fit on this team for DG and for not finding the right PG...

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
As I stated yesterday...

"Diante is a good talent, no doubt. But IN MY OPINION, he's not, never was, and never will be a true "Point Guard." He has the handles but I think he lacks the natural point guard instincts and I do not think he's a very good or heady passer. I realize this is NOT all his fault, but our offense a lot of times has trouble getting initiated...instead of making it happen, he dribbles for 20 seconds out by half court. And he's almost no threat from the outside. That kills us. I know it isn't easy. PG is a difficult position to play and sometimes takes a couple years to "get it." I just have never thought DG had the right "stuff" to be a great PG. And just don't see him being the general that makes things go. That's not a bad thing. I'm not dissing him. Doesn't mean he can't be a leader. I think he has a lot talent as a basketball player. But his ceiling as a point guard just isn't very high, IMO. And yes I am well aware of his assist numbers, A/TO ratio, etc."

Sit down and watch our offense on tape, and rewind and focus on each piece to see how they are supposed to fit together. You'll see it's all on the PG (as is the case with the majority of offenses) to see the tone and get things initiated. Again, I am not trying to blast DG because I think the kid has a lot of talent and can help us win basketball games...but he's simply not the initiator/decision maker/passer that Mac's offense really needs. I am fully convinced of this now. And his struggles shooting from deep really hurts and overall makes us much easier to guard as a whole.

People need to ignore the stats in some cases...

I would have agreed with this until I watched the Duke game in person a few days ago. I sat behind the basket a few rows, and I had a pretty good view of our "offense". What I saw, is guys that couldn't get open on the wings, and post players that could not seal their guy under the rim. This left Diante in many different occassions in a difficult position, usually with the ball with about 7-8 seconds left on the shot clock. Our offense consisted of a series of passes to a wing player out of position, too slow to make a move to the basket and at a poor angle to enter the ball into the post. This usually led to that wing player kicking the ball back out to DG and the cycle repeated itself until Diante had the ball in his hand and was forced to make a play.

I think Diante drives to the rim out of pure necessity, and is unable to facilitate the offense because of the other players inability to get open. If you watch a good "facilitator" point guard, a large reason they are able to do that is because good screens are being set, wing players are making quick and solid cuts, and post players are maintaing their position on the block. This is not the case with our offense, and that being said, I think Diante is the one who suffers most from it.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I would have agreed with this until I watched the Duke game in person a few days ago. I sat behind the basket a few rows, and I had a pretty good view of our "offense". What I saw, is guys that couldn't get open on the wings, and post players that could not seal their guy under the rim. This left Diante in many different occassions in a difficult position, usually with the ball with about 7-8 seconds left on the shot clock. Our offense consisted of a series of passes to a wing player out of position, too slow to make a move to the basket and at a poor angle to enter the ball into the post. This usually led to that wing player kicking the ball back out to DG and the cycle repeated itself until Diante had the ball in his hand and was forced to make a play.

I think Diante drives to the rim out of pure necessity, and is unable to facilitate the offense because of the other players inability to get open. If you watch a good "facilitator" point guard, a large reason they are able to do that is because good screens are being set, wing players are making quick and solid cuts, and post players are maintaing their position on the block. This is not the case with our offense, and that being said, I think Diante is the one who suffers most from it.

Well said. I was just about to write the same thing. When DG crosses half court and we start running our offense, it looks like a complete mess. We're not synchronized or executing properly. You can tell the players are thinking way too much about what they're supposed to be doing and they're not playing basketball. It's really painful to watch DG try to find someone open during the first 15 seconds of the shot clock because no one is most of the time. He's stuck waiting. Then when the shot clock runs down he has to create something out of nothing or pass it to someone out of position.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I always welcome new people. But I have a really hard time believing that somebody that played professionally would blame all the problems of this team on one player. IMO it's pretty obvious this team is replete with problems on many different levels.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny

I'll agree with a lot of what you said. But I think DG is "thinking" as much as anyone out there. And in this case, I don't mean thinking in a good way :) A good point guard just plays and reacts. The decisions come naturally.

True - a lot of times, wings and posts just don't get open like they need to be. But I see plenty of times when Craig actually does have position and DG just either doesn't see him or is simply too far away from the hoop, dribbling, that a pass to Craig isn't feasible. And to top it off, he just isn't a great post feeder in the first place.

I really like his slashing and driving skills, and I think he's got very good handles, but I wish we didn't have to force him to be the head of this offense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron