Response to frustrations

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
DG is fine.
8.5 Points is completely acceptable from a point guard. He averages over 5 assists per game and have a 2.5 to 1 Assist to turnover ratio. He averages over 1.5 steals per game and is shooting at a 47% clip. The point guard area is not the issue. The only two areas which need to show improvement are from the free-throw line and his ability to finish at the rim.

People forget but DG is probably the best penetrator that we have had since JT. How many times does DG get into the lane with less than 10 seconds left on the shot clock and get a good look or even a great look for a teammate.

Relax as the team chemistry starts to come around this team will be fine.
DG is a better penetrator than Stinson? :biglaugh:

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Ok....I'm missing something here. ISU does not have a point guard. Yet, all the "point guards" currently on the team were recruited by the head coach. So, where is the problem? Did GMac not realize one needs a point guard on a basketball team, or does he think DG is one, or is DG just failing, or what?

If DG is not a point guard, then why is he playing one on the court? If GMac has not recruited any point guards, then why not? If he has not recruited a Big 12 capable point guard in 4 years, then why not?

See, for me it all comes back to the fact that GMac is in charge of the program, and if the program is messed up because of the players we have or who is playing, then it most definitely is his fault.

Reactions: cyclonenum1

LZclone

Oct 2, 2008
Mahomet IL via Laurens IA
Ok....I'm missing something here. ISU does not have a point guard. Yet, all the "point guards" currently on the team were recruited by the head coach. So, where is the problem? Did GMac not realize one needs a point guard on a basketball team, or does he think DG is one, or is DG just failing, or what?

If DG is not a point guard, then why is he playing one on the court? If GMac has not recruited any point guards, then why not? If he has not recruited a Big 12 capable point guard in 4 years, then why not?

See, for me it all comes back to the fact that GMac is in charge of the program, and if the program is messed up because of the players we have or who is playing, then it most definitely is his fault.

+10

Good Work!

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay

Oh its definitely Greg's mess/fault. He's getting paid very well and there is nobody over his shoulder like a General Manager telling him he can or can't sign certain players. The clock is ticking on him....Colvin/Philliphs will definitely have alot to say about him getting us in the right direction. I would say they have alot to do with him keeping his job....but it appears JP has his head in the sand praying he turns it around so he doesn't look so bad for that gigantic extension.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I am a new member because I too was frustrated with the team (sic). We do not need a new coach----quite contrary we have a really good coach.

Is that why Greg Mcdermott is 15-44 against teams which ended up with a winning record in his first three years COMBINED (1-4 so far this year) and 14-37 in Big 12 play where 3 of those wins are to 20+ loss Colorado and 4 more to mediocre to just over mediocre Nebraska? Or the fact we've won only one game in three seasons where the opponent happened to go to the NCAA tournament (Purdue)?

Give me a break...the guy is not working out. I'm going to give him a chance, but if he doesn't get it done this year, there's no way anybody can justify this guy being here. This isn't like football where it takes awhile to build up..3 years in NCAA basketball should be PLENTY of time. Look at Missouri even with Mike Anderson. That's called being a good coach going from what, 12 or 13 wins to 26 wins in only 2 or 3 years. We have good talent too this year CONTRARY to what anyone says, we just don't know how to put it all together ever since the Saint Louis game.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyclonenum1

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I think you speak alot of truth here. Frankly, if Colvin grows up and this Phillips kid turns out to be a readymade Big12 point guard, we could be better next year in spite of the fact that Brackins and/or Gilstrap may be gone. Hard to fathom that, but, yes a good point guard really does make a huge difference.

I don't blame DG, in fact I really admire everything he has done for the program, but being inserted as a starting Big 12 point guard is bit more than he can chew.

Better next year? I'm concerned that it won't be that hard to do.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
GMac needs to get the team to actually run the damn offense. I had a 70 year old grandma sitting next to me who could see that the team wasn't moving or working to get open. It screwed us in the Duke game and damn near screwed us in the NDSU game. NDSU moved to get open and we didn't. If we ran an offense like NDSU, we win that game going away with tons of easy layups, dunks, and open shots.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
The problems with ISU men's basketball have nothing to do with individual talents. They have everything to do with team chemistry.

Bingo. I've had a number of friends who did not grow up in iowa, minnesota, wisconsin, missouri, or even illinois watch ISU this year. A Purdue fan, a Duke fan, Kentucky fan, etc.

They ALL said the same thing..."you guys have talent, but you don't play as a team ..don't pass the ball around enough, don't move around enough, etc."

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
The problems with ISU men's basketball have nothing to do with individual talents. They have everything to do with team chemistry.

Yep, there is definitely a chemistry issue. And here I thought our chemistry would be at an all-time high this year due to the new practice facility. Its a place for the guys to hang out and bond.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Yep, there is definitely a chemistry issue. And here I thought our chemistry would be at an all-time high this year due to the new practice facility. Its a place for the guys to hang out and bond.

How many set plays does GMac have versus the average coach? Maybe the players are like "wtf play are we running?" and they stand around.....jk but seriously it could happen every once in awhile. you never know

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Unless we shoot 50% threes, we cannot afford to stand around on offense. We have nto set a real pick since Jiri.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Need to play as a team, and play selfless on offense. Movement on offense is the biggest frustration I see. Someone works a defender one-on-one, and then everyone else stands around, so there is nobody to pass the ball to. Most of the time the player working one-on-one gets double or triple teamed when they take it to the hoop resulting in a bad shot or turnover.

Rebounding. Free throws.

Cyberclone

Aug 6, 2006
I remember the good ol days when people, old or new, could make a thread and not be run off the forums by the good ol boys club.

It's extremely refreshing to have a new opinion and a unique point of view.

This is the post of the day!!! I too, am really really tired of the good ol boys club.
They seem to think since this is a annonymous forum they can treat people like crap
anytime they want to. I don't think that running down the coach or the team is going
to do anything positive to improve things. I never thought my ignore list would grow
by adding (so called) Cyclonefanatics to it, It used to just consist of hawkeye trolls.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I am a new member because I too was frustrated with the 1team (sic). We do not need a new coach----quite contrary 2we have a really good coach. I am not just a fan, I was a good player until I retired. 3How many of the people who post here have actually played much ball??? From my perspective 4we need a point guard real bad. One who sees the court and does not have to control the ball and dribble all the time. One who has speed, quickness and agility(footwork) side-to-side and back and forth for both offense and defense. Diante Garret is not a point guard but he is what we have. 5I think McDermott has really increased the athleticism but at a cost of team chemistry. When he has a chance to 6develop Christopherson and Colvin and Buckley it will make a dramatic increase in the teams competiveness from having a true point guard.

1. Your use of [sic] is not correct.

2. What evidence do you see that leads you to this conclusion? I look forward to seeing it.

3. I have both played and coached some basketball.

4. Guard play is clearly one of the most important elements of having a quality CBB team. The question I have is who is directly responsible for the players we have on our roster? I'll answer for you...our head coach for the past four years.

5. I agree, our athleticism is much greater this year. Unfortunately, it took McDermott three years to realize that you needed athletic players to compete in the Big 12. As for team chemistry, it clearly is not good...but again, this is the job of the HC...guys like Bill Self and Roy Williams never seem to have a chemistry problem and they typically have guys sitting the bench and getting sparse minutes that would start on 95% of the teams in the country.

6. This "taking time to develop" excuse is pure BS. SC and DB have both been in the program two years now...that is a long time in the CBB world. Colvin is in his first year but there are kids all over the country that are freshmen that are making big impacts on their teams. You know it only took a little over 1 year to build the Empire State Building.

You have two posts and both are banging on DG...interesting.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I remember the good ol days when people, old or new, could make a thread and not be run off the forums by the good ol boys club.

It's extremely refreshing to have a new opinion and a unique point of view.

Personally, I found nothing in the original post new or unique. There are plenty of people on this site banging on the players and still telling us that we have a great coach at every turn.

What I find interesting is all the people that apparently use this "ignore" feature (which I personally do not use) so they can avoid reading things they may not agree with...yeah those people are really looking for another point of view.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron