Restaurants in Ames.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Cornbred has good meat but yeah given the two, I’d pick whatcha smokin. It actually feels like a BBQ establishment
Whatcha smokin is better for sure, but it's an absolute zoo if you plan on eating in on a weekend. We drove through town at 3 o'clock Saturday and both parking lots were completely full - Guessing a lot of traffic after the game, but not entirely uncommon for it to be that busy all day. Only about a 10 minute drive from Ames so we generally do carry out if we are wanting it.

Their ribs are also fantastic, but they jacked the price up so much a few months back that nobody in their right mind would actually order them. I think it was like $48 for a full rack....may have come down some since then.

Edit: Looks like its $32 for a rack now...still high but at least better.

• Wow
Reactions: NWICY

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Never knew about Cornbread restaurant. I may have to try in the next time I am in Ames. Still have not tried Aunt Maudes either.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Whatcha smokin is better for sure, but it's an absolute zoo if you plan on eating in on a weekend. We drove through town at 3 o'clock Saturday and both parking lots were completely full - Guessing a lot of traffic after the game, but not entirely uncommon for it to be that busy all day. Only about a 10 minute drive from Ames so we generally do carry out if we are wanting it.

Their ribs are also fantastic, but they jacked the price up so much a few months back that nobody in their right mind would actually order them. I think it was like $48 for a full rack....may have come down some since then. Edit: Looks like its $32 for a rack now...still high but at least better.

Jebus that is way high, I haven't been in a few months I guess.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Jebus that is way high, I haven't been in a few months I guess.
It was absurd. We called on a Saturday to get their beef rib special for dinner - They said it's now market price and it was $52. Ok...nevermind We'll just get a rack of pork ribs.......nope. Ended up cancelling the order all together and got Cornbred instead. Even with where the meat market was at the time, they were way too high. Brisket is still $28/lb. on the current menu.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
It was absurd. We called on a Saturday to get their beef rib special for dinner - They said it's now market price and it was $52. Ok...nevermind We'll just get a rack of pork ribs.......nope. Ended up cancelling the order all together and got Cornbred instead. Even with where the meat market was at the time, they were way too high. Brisket is still $28/lb. on the current menu.

Well looks like I will smoke my own until the prices go back to reasonable.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Their ribs are also fantastic, but they jacked the price up so much a few months back that nobody in their right mind would actually order them. I think it was like $48 for a full rack....may have come down some since then.

I'd order them. $ doesn't matter when it comes to good food.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Candide and I@ST1

Clonefan420

Jan 30, 2023

Yeah that’s the only issue. People from surrounding towns flock there on weekends. I haven’t been there for a while but their banana pudding is worth the drive.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston

$32 for a rack is high …. ShortEs in Johnston has been runnning a weekend special for $20 a rack.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Haven't been to Gates in K.C. lately, change in ownership or what. Always liked the old BBQ places.

I wasn't impressed with Gates. Better BBQ places in central Iowa, in my opinion. Joe's is hard to beat.
In summer of 2019 we spent 3 days in KC. I made a big deal about needing to go to both Gates and Arthur Bryant's. We were very underwhelmed by both of them. Arthur's was dry and chewy and Gates was so fatty we had the throw away 1/3 of our pulled pork. There were 4 of us at both places and ordered a variety of different items. Very disappointed.

Would highly recommend Q39 or Joes.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
In summer of 2019 we spent 3 days in KC. I made a big deal about needing to go to both Gates and Arthur Bryant's. We were very underwhelmed by both of them. Arthur's was dry and chewy and Gates was so fatty we had the throw away 1/3 of our pulled pork. There were 4 of us at both places and ordered a variety of different items. Very disappointed.

Would highly recommend Q39 or Joes.
Q39 was awesome when we were there in 2020. Curious how it is now that the founder has died, probably still awesome.

Amac12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 21, 2020
We do Mucky Ducks nearly every Friday. Good food and lots of beer options but to me the main draw is the great people that work there. Somebody does a great job staffing.

• Informative
Reactions: tim_redd and NWICY