Restaurants in Ames.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We do Mucky Ducks nearly every Friday. Good food and lots of beer options but to me the main draw is the great people that work there. Somebody does a great job staffing.

Mucky Duck is awesome and the owner is a good guy.

Reactions: cyputz

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
We tried Brick City for the first time the year they won the “Best Burger in Iowa” award. Burger was fine; award lost all credibility.
We went there yesterday for the first time. Tenderloin was decent. My wife got the Santa fe chicken with tots and mac & cheese. My son got the buffalo chicken sandwich. The tots and fries tasted like they were freezer burned. The Mac was really good. He said his buffalo sandwich was his favorite. My wife said the Santa fe was OK. She wants to try the 60/40 burger. But for 3 waters and tip coming to $50, I'm not likely to suggest the place for what I thought was just meh.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz and Pat

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Guy used to work for George Battle and ran the one in Nevada. I'm eating some jerky I marinated with some of Jimmie's sauce as I am writing this. The sauce on Ruffles and the Texas Toast is the bomb!!
I'll second the sauce on the Ruffles. Highly underrated part of a visit to Jimmies.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I got this in an email from Hy-Vee today (in Muscatine). They don't state who's Game Day so I guess I can pick a different team for every day and go in, say "It's Game Day for me" and get the deal . . . .

1675729685757.png

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Never knew about Cornbread restaurant. I may have to try in the next time I am in Ames. Still have not tried Aunt Maudes either.

I actually went to Cornbred on Friday for lunch and Saturday after the game last week. My goodness the burnt ends are to die for there. Brisket was really good too.

And they have a great selection of craft beer.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The newest venture in the old Palmas/La Fuente building on South Duff:

Celaya Tex-Mex, open since last summer.

One of the takeaways from the story is that the sewer/septic smell that had plagued the building for a long time is finally gone.

• Informative
Reactions: MJ29

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
We do Mucky Ducks nearly every Friday. Good food and lots of beer options but to me the main draw is the great people that work there. Somebody does a great job staffing.
Love their breakfast but the last couple morning games its been too packed to get in.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The newest venture in the old Palmas/La Fuente building on South Duff:

Celaya Tex-Mex, open since last summer.

One of the takeaways from the story is that the sewer/septic smell that had plagued the building for a long time is finally gone.

Been their a couple of times, pretty solid.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I haven't been yet, but I've heard good things about the food as well as the service there.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
In summer of 2019 we spent 3 days in KC. I made a big deal about needing to go to both Gates and Arthur Bryant's. We were very underwhelmed by both of them. Arthur's was dry and chewy and Gates was so fatty we had the throw away 1/3 of our pulled pork. There were 4 of us at both places and ordered a variety of different items. Very disappointed.

Would highly recommend Q39 or Joes.
I agree with everything in this post.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
The product has changed IMO.
@CycloneDaddy-i fully admit an error on my behalf.

My intention was …”product has NOT changed.”

My typo and apologies for the error.

Q39 produces the top 3 BBQ in KC metro imo. It’s all based on what is important to someone or how the establishment is measured.