Votes: 6 2.9%

• Total voters

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
There is so little predicability. I know injuries play a part but look at this: would, several years ago, anyone think Hummel would still be in the League but Rose still can't find a home outside of the XFL?
Yeah, I think a healthy portion of it is landing in the right spot with the right team and the right opportunities.

Reactions: Jer

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I thought he had the right attitude and personality to be exactly what a coach would want in a backup QB and he could turn that into a 10+ year career as a journeyman backup with a few opportunities to get out on the field and show that he can do just enough to be a temporary patch for teams in need. That would have been a nice career, and I considered myself optimistic for that expectation.

Holy moley, was I wrong.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
After a great junior year, his senior year team did not meet expectations. He also ended his career losing 3 of the last 4 games and wasn't trending in the right direction.

After years of watching what I thought were pro-ready ISU players go undrafted, I was hoping for Brock to get drafted late and hang on as a journeyman back-up. My Iowa State soul wanted him to get a fair shake, but I was prepared for him to go undrafted based on what several draft predictors were saying.

This has been a great story, and it's still barely being written.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
From Page one of the Purdy thread.

ifuckedup-messedup.gif
I'm so happy my optimistic ass got something right for once.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I didn't think he would have much of a shot at NFL. Frankly thought he'd be selling medical surgical supplies by now.

The guy is living so many kids dreams... Eight year old jumping on coach with football... thinking about the superbowl...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I thought he had the right attitude and personality to be exactly what a coach would want in a backup QB and he could turn that into a 10+ year career as a journeyman backup with a few opportunities to get out on the field and show that he can do just enough to be a temporary patch for teams in need. That would have been a nice career, and I considered myself optimistic for that expectation.

Holy moley, was I wrong.

This is about exactly where I was I think. Kind of the in the Chase Daniel world of careers which the average person would consider to be pretty awesome.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I knew Purdy would be a star. He’s the best QB ISU has ever had. Like all pro sports, it depends on the team and coach you have. Shanahan liked him and he was the best QB before they all started dropping like flies. Coaches/teams have a near impossible mental time not playing the best player because they threw a lot of money at someone else. I knew he’d get his chance to shine.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I was certain he wouldn’t stick. I just didn’t see it. I have never been happier to be this wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGuy5

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I recall lots of fans more than ready to move on to Dekkers. It wasn't that they didn't appreciate Purdy, but they certainly weren't trying to hold on to him as if he was tarting NFL QB caliber. Lots of reconstructed memories when I talk to those folks now. Very few are willing to admit that they didn't think Purdy had much of a future, though they certainly weren't talking about it at the time.
I’ll be the first to admit I was incredibly disappointed with 2021 (still am) and was ready to move on. I thought he would kick around as a backup for a few years.

I think in hindsight many of Purdy’s flaws and lack of improvement was due to Tom Manning and his god-awful scheme.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I’ll be the first to admit I was incredibly disappointed with 2021 (still am) and was ready to move on. I thought he would kick around as a backup for a few years.

I think in hindsight many of Purdy’s flaws and lack of improvement was due to Tom Manning and his god-awful scheme.

You think? ISU has a starting QB and starting RB in the league. Not to mention a WR and tight end that play some and they all played together. Very few colleges have that to their name at skill positions. Sure they have all improved, but they are first/second year guys. They aren’t too far removed from when they were here.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
No way did I ever think, while watching Purdy destroy UNLV at Allegiant Stadium in 2021, that he would return to that field in 28 months to be starting in the Super Bowl.

That's a crazy deal. How great for Brock!

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
You think? ISU has a starting QB and starting RB in the league. Not to mention a WR and tight end that play some and they all played together. Very few colleges have that to their name at skill positions. Sure they have all improved, but they are first/second year guys. They aren’t too far removed from when they were here.
Oh I mean it was obvious at the time, just not how bad it really was. I think I started one of the first fire Manning threads

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I certainly didn't see starting NFL QB in his future. I knew he was a great guy and a good leader and figured he could craft a solid career as a 2nd or 3rd stringer. He'd be good in the QB room, good in getting the starter prepped and would be serviceable if he had to play. But I never would have guessed this.