Votes: 2 1.0%
  • NFL Super Star

Votes: 6 2.9%

• Total voters

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
I recall lots of fans more than ready to move on to Dekkers. It wasn't that they didn't appreciate Purdy, but they certainly weren't trying to hold on to him as if he was tarting NFL QB caliber. Lots of reconstructed memories when I talk to those folks now. Very few are willing to admit that they didn't think Purdy had much of a future, though they certainly weren't talking about it at the time.
Count me as one of those who wavered when I heard it was possible Brock might come back for a 5th year in 2022. Dekkers had shown promise and had the measurables.

It’s also fair to say that at the time, the 2021 season with that roster was well below expectations. His spectacular turnovers added fuel to the fire. It felt like it was time for something new.

FWIW, I wouldn’t trade Brock for the world. And I think he’s continued to work very hard since graduating to improve his game.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
From Page one of the Purdy thread.

I follow some 49ers media on Twitter and saw yesterday that Brock was very good yesterday which included a deep TD to Brandon Aiyuk. And Lance was horrible yesterday which makes things interesting. Definitely don't think Brock will start but I wouldn't be the least surprised if Lance got benched at some point and we see our guy get a legitimate chance.

I mean, I love you bud and I love Brock for many many reasons but I have a better chance of crapping a winning lottery ticket.

ifuckedup-messedup.gif

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Count me as one of those who wavered when I heard it was possible Brock might come back for a 5th year in 2022. Dekkers has showed promise and had the measurables.

It’s also fair to say that at the time, the 2021 season with that roster was well below expectations. His spectacular turnovers added fuel to the fire. It felt like it was time for something new.

FWIW, I wouldn’t trade Brock for the world. And I think he’s continued to work very hard since graduating to improve his game.

You are an honest man, unlike all my lying friends who pretend that they always knew Brock would be starting NFL QB.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I recall lots of fans more than ready to move on to Dekkers. It wasn't that they didn't appreciate Purdy, but they certainly weren't trying to hold on to him as if he was starting NFL QB caliber. Lots of reconstructed memories when I talk to those folks now. Very few are willing to admit that they didn't think Purdy had much of a future, though they certainly weren't talking about it at the time.

It's the worst and it's about to happen to Rocco too.

I've sat through too many bad QB's to not appreciate when we have a good one.

Reactions: clonechemist

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
A lot more of our fans have 49ers #13 jerseys now than had Cyclones #15 jerseys then.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I didn't think he would get drafted . Figured he'd get a chance at camp and perhaps be on the practice squad somewhere. Never would have guessed this.

• Winner
Reactions: deadeyededric

NebraskaCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2009
Omaha
I thought he'd follow the Sage-Seneca route as finding a way on a roster and last 10+ years mostly holding a clipboard but servicable if called upon.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I figured he would be drafted (surprised he slipped as far as he did). I also thought he'd nab a 2nd string spot pretty quickly, but never figured he'd be a solid starter ever really.

Reactions: jsb

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I always thought his ceiling was the Chase Daniel roll. Be a good dude, and get to play a few games in your career that show you are competent, and be in the league for 10+ years as an effectively player/coach in the QB room.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and ScottyP

Mar 21, 2021
I foresaw Purdy learning to drive a combine and taking breaks to watch Dekkers lead the 'clones to glory. No one calls me The Prophet.

• Funny
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I thought he would have the best job in the NFL - clipboard carrier. Get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to manage a clipboard, all the while not putting your body through the rigors of a NFL game

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I posted somewhere saying I thought his ceiling was a faster and shorter version of Peyton Manning... but I quickly followed that up by saying I didn't think he'd ever get close to getting to that point.

I thought he'd be a backup and stick somewhere, but due to lack of "wow" physical characteristics he'd never get a real shot.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I keep thinking about how Purdy and ISU barely beat Drake in 2018 (cursed game, miserable experience, never forgiving Pollard for that one) and now he's leading a team to the Super Bowl. Mind blowing lol.

Reactions: clonechemist

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Thought this would be a great discussion leading up to the Super Bowl.

Think back 2 years, prior to the NFL Draft. What were your REALISTIC and HONEST expectations for Purdy coming out of his ISU career?
I thought journeyman backup, but I can't say I was confident because I've seen so many really good players barely get a sniff in the league.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I thought journeyman backup, but I can't say I was confident because I've seen so many really good players barely get a sniff in the league.
There is so little predicability. I know injuries play a part but look at this: would, several years ago, anyone think Hummel would still be in the League but Rose still can't find a home outside of the XFL?

Reactions: Cyclonepride