• Starter with some limitations

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • NFL Super Star

Votes: 6 2.9%

• Total voters

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Thought this would be a great discussion leading up to the Super Bowl.

Think back 2 years, prior to the NFL Draft. What were your REALISTIC and HONEST expectations for Purdy coming out of his ISU career?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'm in the "Undrafted - fight for practice squad or 3rd string for a few years and then move on". Felt his arm strength and occasional mental lapses would continue to be issues preventing him from a real solid NFL career. Some guys are studs in college and just don't quite make it at the next level. And this is despite a person connection.

However, there's no ISU alum that better represents what it means to be a Cyclone. Unheralded, hard working, overachieving, while staying humble. Dude is a good role model in a world where there are very few.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
I won’t bother digging up the old posts before the draft, but I assumed he could be a starter or good backup.

I watched Sage and Seneca, and I will say that I haven’t seen any QB in an ISU uniform have the accuracy on those 10-25 yard throws that Brock had.

I am surprised that he seems to have actually improved his deep ball, and how quickly he has risen to top level starter.

I did expect him to get a shot at some point, though, because of how accurate and how much arm strength he showed with those 15 yard out routes to the far side of the field.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I hoped that he’d have the best job ever—-long time back up QB.

Reactions: CyberCy79

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Like most I assumed journeyman backup. Never have questioned his heart just if he could physically get it done.

Reactions: Jer

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
While we can’t peek into the future, I bet Brock should have a home in the NFL for a long time. The mental aspect of his game make him more than qualified to hold a clipboard.

I’m thinking of guys who have been in the league a long time… Matt Barkley, Blaine Gabbert, Case Keenum, Trevor Siemian, Brian Hoyer. All of those guys have plenty of money in the bank after 8 plus years.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I didn’t think he’d get drafted, but I knew he was smart and figured that could give him several years of wearing a headset on the sideline. I honestly wasn’t sure his skills and style could translate to much NFL playing time.

I am thrilled to admit I completely whiffed on my expectation.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I can't say that I actually gave it a lot of thought, which probably says more than my actual answer. I'd guess it was somewhere between 2 & 3. Practice squad for a couple years and hopefully get a shot at latching on to a backup role somewhere. As great as the story is, there is a certain amount of 'right place, right time' element to this. If he's with a poor team and/or injuries don't happen to JimmyG and Lance, it might have played out that way too.

• Agree
Reactions: clonechemist

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I recall lots of fans more than ready to move on to Dekkers. It wasn't that they didn't appreciate Purdy, but they certainly weren't trying to hold on to him as if he was tarting NFL QB caliber. Lots of reconstructed memories when I talk to those folks now. Very few are willing to admit that they didn't think Purdy had much of a future, though they certainly weren't talking about it at the time.

• Agree
Reactions: SouthJerseyCy

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I think this just underscores the talent upgrade in the NFL. Purdy and for example Mahomes where really good QBs in college but maybe not the best talent around them.
An all-star RB, TE, and WR with a solid Oline allows Purdy's talents to really come out.
Mahomes has had a HOF TE his whole career.
QBs still have to make the plays though.

• Winner
Reactions: clonechemist

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I'll be the first to admit I didn't think he had an NFL arm. He seems to have improved his arm strength because I don't remember his passes at ISU having that much zip on them. He can make most NFL throws now which is a credit to his work ethic.