Sane People End of Regular Season Discussion

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
-3 in TOs the biggest difference in stats. We outgained them, more TOP, same number of 1st downs, and they had 3 more penalties. The 3 TOs jump off the sheet as the difference in the game.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
1. CFP-caliber defense
2. Nice offense, but not CFP-caliber
3. Subpar special teams

The offense struggled in all three of ISU's losses...the defense was good enough.

It's hard now...ISU has to maintain the defense and improve the offense and special teams to take the next step.
This is quite spot on. This offense can take a marginal leap forward in the offseason.

I think one thing that has been overlooked - Brock not having a Tarique Milton healthy and effective really hurt at times this year. That dude was a vertical threat every game last season. Has been MIA this year due to the injury bug.

Speaking of the injury bug, i won't put this game on Manning b/c our offensive line was in somewhat shambles... Schweiger shouldn't be playing (he is because downing has been out the whole year), and Ramos was a step down from Rembsurg. Does the OL have a ton of nice pieces and are they going to be solid next year? Yes, I believe they will.

Special Teams, the easy response is everyone yell "get a ST coach!", the quicker fix is getting a kicker in the transfer market who can boot it past the 11 yd line and kick field goals.

This is a big bowl game for this team, wherever we play. We need to be juiced up because a win can be a springboard into spring ball and give us positive momentum.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Key Seniors please come back, Kolar or any others thinking of declaring, please come back. Return this team with more experience and they are the favorite to play in this game again.

Kolar is gone. I’m worried about Rose.

• Disagree
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
-3 in TOs the biggest difference in stats. We outgained them, more TOP, same number of 1st downs, and they had 3 more penalties. The 3 TOs jump off the sheet as the difference in the game.
Not to mention losing field position all game and they lost by 6. This team, is legit.

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I give us a C- for the game. Too bad a C+ would have won it. I'm frustrated we didn't have our A game today but I'm also a little impressed that a below average performance was almost good enough to win the Big 12 championship.

I would give the offense a B, Purdy a C-, the defense a B+ and the special teams a D-

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
What coach are we firing to hire this special team coach?
The QB coach. I have never heard about Joel Gordon landing a big recruit. I don't like to pick on anyone but if you're an assistant on the staff you need to prove your worth in A. Developing people, or B. Being a great recruiter

Eli Rasheed does both, Jeff Meyers is great, Nate Scheelhassse has been a stud in the kc area. Bring another one in to coach ST or something else as a lights out recruiter.

• Dumb
Reactions: VeloClone

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Happy to be in the game after the first half. Blum said we didn’t have to play our best game to win and he was right. Just couldn’t throw three ints, missed fg and give up big gains on special teams.
Agreed. Honestly, today an average game would have done it.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Disappointed with the result of the game, but very happy about the season and the direction of the program.

Game was one hell of a roller coaster ride. In the end, we just had too many self-inflicted wounds with turnovers and special teams equatingto a below average game from us. It happens, and the future looks bright. Let’s go clones!

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Outside of Hutchinson, the production of the wide receiver position needs to improve for this team to take the next step.

Absolutely. We're one WR weapon away from winning games like this. Having a Butler or Lazard type player along with these TE's would have made this offense tough to stop.

Scates or Shaw need to take a step next year unless we can bring in a JUCO impact player. Likely losing all the TE's will leave a lot of passes available.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
That 1st half was awful. The ejection of Isheem and CMC going on a tirade really affected the team in the beginning. There were so many mistakes in that 1st half. I thought they were done.
I was wrong. This team competed like crazy. They just kept playing hard.
What was it that ripped CMC in the 1st half? He was still upset from the targeting call I think. Was it that near off-side on OU when we had the ball, and it wasn't called. I thought as bad as the game went/was called for us, we got by with that one when Coach wasn't called for penalty there. I do like his fire though.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
What was it that ripped CMC in the 1st half? He was still upset from the targeting call I think. Was it that near off-side on OU when we had the ball, and it wasn't called. I thought as bad as the game went/was called for us, we got by with that one when Coach wasn't called for penalty there. I do like his fire though.

Campbell will give you all the cliches, but there's a competitor in there. What was he pointing at repeatedly, the head ref?

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah