Shakur Juiston on njcaatv.com tonight

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I've seen two of his games, but don't really know who I'd compare his game to. He looks like a weird big because while almost all his points are 10 feet and in he does a lot of facing the basket and charging in rather than receiving entry passes. He's got finesse and brute ability. He's also a good passer and great ball handler for a 4.
Poor man's Royce White?

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Poor man's Royce White?

That didn't occur to me, but that's probably the closest comparison. Juiston isn't as strong (obviously) and doesn't appear to be near the facilitator Royce was (hardly any 4's are). Juiston also seems to go for it more and is less deliberate.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Poor man's Royce White?
It crossed my mind, for sure. It's crazy as Royce was a physical freak of nature combined with deftly skills with the ball. I doubt anyone compares favorably to him. But you did say poor man's, and imo his stat line may end up being similar and they could have the same type of use.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
He's really good, possibly an immediate starter at ISU, but IMO he's not "KU good" in the fact that he'd probably see around 10 mins a game for them. For a JUCO, you'd have to think that he wants immediate minutes. At KU, you have to be pretty elite to get a lot of minutes, and he isn't elite.

Juiston and Lewis are both about 6'6" - 6'7", but completely different players. Juiston is "thicker", more physical, and an interior player, while Lewis is more of a 3 point shooter, slasher, quicker player. They would be very compatible together on the court, if Lewis is ready to play right away.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He's really good, possibly an immediate starter at ISU, but IMO he's not "KU good" in the fact that he'd probably see around 10 mins a game for them. For a JUCO, you'd have to think that he wants immediate minutes. At KU, you have to be pretty elite to get a lot of minutes, and he isn't elite.

Juiston and Lewis are both about 6'6" - 6'7", but completely different players. Juiston is "thicker", more physical, and an interior player, while Lewis is more of a 3 point shooter, slasher, quicker player. They would be very compatible together on the court, if Lewis is ready to play right away.
Lewis is a 6'6" forward? I always thought of him as a 6'5" wing guard or traditional SF that we rarely have. This isn't what you're saying, but man, I'd love for him to show up at 6'7" though! (I swear Young grew into even bigger potential after we signed him). It's exciting to think of what Lewis could become (Clyburn type?)

And I agree, I'd love to have the chance to see in the same lineup! Throw in Babb, too, and that's a long versatile group. Juiston has the handle to play some SF (if he had the 3P he'd be on draft boards). After years of smallball, you could see a few minutes of Babb, Lewis, Juiston, Young, and Lard!

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
What is his time line for a decision?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Finial numbers for Edwards and Juiston last night.

@AlexHalsted Juiston and Edwards are Iowa State's top two JUCO targets. Juiston scored 18, had 15 rebounds, 4 assists; Edwards scored 20.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Edwards just looks like an athlete, I can see him being decent with better teammates, definitely looks like he'd be a good 3-D type player.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Finial numbers for Edwards and Juiston last night.

@AlexHalsted Juiston and Edwards are Iowa State's top two JUCO targets. Juiston scored 18, had 15 rebounds, 4 assists; Edwards scored 20.
I don't know if we're recruiting Rodriguez anymore but he had 23 and 13. A lot of misses to be had in juco ball

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I don't know how well JUCO rebounding stats translate to the Big 12, but I'd rather a recruit consistently pull down 12+ rebounds than not. He looks like a strong 3 for a program like KU, but could be more than adequate 4 for Iowa State.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Programming Note for tonight:
The D1 JuCo Consolation Round with Edwards and #8 NW Florida State plays #2 South Plains @ 5.
The D1 JuCo Championship Game with Juiston and #4 Hutchinson plays #6 Eastern Florida @ 7.

http://njcaatv.com/landing/index

jwrussel

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Just watched a replay of the game. Probably a bad comparison but Juiston's game reminded me a little of Melvin Ejim. No outside shot like Ejim and he is a little bigger than Ejim, but strong and athletic and an instinct about where the all will be for rebounds. An okay offensive game but far from elite (although the Hutch announcers seemed to think he was elite at everything). Endurance was an issue for him in that game, but I don't know how many days they have played in a row.

Edwards was impressive in stretches. Seemed to be quick to the basket and much more than just a shooter. But I don't know how that translates to BIg 12 when on ball defense will be better.

• Agree
Reactions: Steubs24

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
That didn't occur to me, but that's probably the closest comparison. Juiston isn't as strong (obviously) and doesn't appear to be near the facilitator Royce was (hardly any 4's are). Juiston also seems to go for it more and is less deliberate.

So then nothing like Royce White.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Lewis is a 6'6" forward? I always thought of him as a 6'5" wing guard or traditional SF that we rarely have. This isn't what you're saying, but man, I'd love for him to show up at 6'7" though! (I swear Young grew into even bigger potential after we signed him). It's exciting to think of what Lewis could become (Clyburn type?)

And I agree, I'd love to have the chance to see in the same lineup! Throw in Babb, too, and that's a long versatile group. Juiston has the handle to play some SF (if he had the 3P he'd be on draft boards). After years of smallball, you could see a few minutes of Babb, Lewis, Juiston, Young, and Lard!

Clyburn is exactly who I'd compare Lewis to as far as recent players. Maybe not quite as long but similar skillset.