cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
This is sad

Study: Probability of Obese People Reaching ‘Normal’ Weight Less Than 1%

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015...se-people-reaching-normal-weight-less-than-1/

As I mentioned above, its mostly because of people needing immediate results. And trying diet fades, patches, pills, etc to lose a bunch of weight quickly. And once you stop, you will put the weight back on. Guaranteed.

People didn't get obese in 1, 2, or 3 months, they should expect to lose all of the weight that quickly. The only way to lose weight and keep the weight off are major lifestyles changes. Namely eating less/healthier and working out on a regular basis. Everything else is a fad.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
One thing to caution is if you lose 20-30 lbs in a month by working out like crazy or slashing your caloric intake to an unsustainable level, the second you stop your crazy workout routine or you start eating more meaningful calories, you will gain weight. That can be disheartening. Most people have success using a sustained, slow process. Ideally if you lose 1-1.5 lbs per week, studies show you are more likely to keep the weight off for good when compared to a yo-yo diet. It sucks to make big changes but not see if on the scale immediately and its much more fun to see yourself lose 30 lbs in a month (that might be okay for month 1). But its MUCH, MUCH more fun if you can sustain weight loss long term.

Either way, congrats on taking a big step towards a healthier life.

Yes, this is spot on. Depending on how big you are you may be able to lose at a little bit higher rate but trying to lose it all too quickly is not the best option. Also, if you keep your protein intake high enough and get on a good lifting program you will be able to gain muscle as you lose fat due to all the excess energy your body has stored up.

4dyceclone

Oct 23, 2013
DSM
One thing to caution is if you lose 20-30 lbs in a month by working out like crazy or slashing your caloric intake to an unsustainable level, the second you stop your crazy workout routine or you start eating more meaningful calories, you will gain weight. That can be disheartening. Most people have success using a sustained, slow process. Ideally if you lose 1-1.5 lbs per week, studies show you are more likely to keep the weight off for good when compared to a yo-yo diet. It sucks to make big changes but not see if on the scale immediately and its much more fun to see yourself lose 30 lbs in a month (that might be okay for month 1). But its MUCH, MUCH more fun if you can sustain weight loss long term.

Either way, congrats on taking a big step towards a healthier life.

Thank you for the feedback. The good thing for me is that in order to get up to 460 pounds, I was eating about 5000-6000 calories per day for years. My current breakdown is about 1600-2000 calories which is the recommended amount for the goal weight I am looking to achieve. I am at about 50-60 net carbs per day with plenty of good fat and about 150 grams of protein. I am currently averaging about 3 pounds lost per week, meaning some weeks it is 1.5-2 and other 4-5. I work out 5 days per week, with rest spaced every 2-3 days. I fell like this amount of food and the consistency of 5 workouts per week should be sustainable long term. As my blog and the first post on this thread says, I have tried and failed a lot. Those times I was on a crash type diet and was working out way to much.

I feel like I am in a good place and I can sustain this pace. If the pace slows, I am not going to get extreme just to get paid or make myself suffer to hit a goal. I will say that the monetary motivation is nice, but it is not what drives me. Again, thank you for the feedback. It is good to hear from people.

4dyceclone

Oct 23, 2013
DSM
Yes, this is spot on. Depending on how big you are you may be able to lose at a little bit higher rate but trying to lose it all too quickly is not the best option. Also, if you keep your protein intake high enough and get on a good lifting program you will be able to gain muscle as you lose fat due to all the excess energy your body has stored up.

Good points. I am working closely with a nutritionist to make sure I am sustaining my muscle mass. I feel like with 150 grams of protein each day, I am adding some muscle. I can say that my lifts are getting heavier every week and that I feel stronger than ever. I keep a strong high carb cheat meal on the menu each week, typically the day before a heavy lifting day. The program Elite offers give me a good balance of lifting and cardio style workouts.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Thank you for the feedback. The good thing for me is that in order to get up to 460 pounds, I was eating about 5000-6000 calories per day for years. My current breakdown is about 1600-2000 calories which is the recommended amount for the goal weight I am looking to achieve. I am at about 50-60 net carbs per day with plenty of good fat and about 150 grams of protein. I am currently averaging about 3 pounds lost per week, meaning some weeks it is 1.5-2 and other 4-5. I work out 5 days per week, with rest spaced every 2-3 days. I fell like this amount of food and the consistency of 5 workouts per week should be sustainable long term. As my blog and the first post on this thread says, I have tried and failed a lot. Those times I was on a crash type diet and was working out way to much.

I feel like I am in a good place and I can sustain this pace. If the pace slows, I am not going to get extreme just to get paid or make myself suffer to hit a goal. I will say that the monetary motivation is nice, but it is not what drives me. Again, thank you for the feedback. It is good to hear from people.

I should have read your blog earlier. But at 460, your 3 lbs per week is definitely sustainable. For awhile anyway. Eventually that will decrease as you become healthier, some due to muscle mass gain, which is a great "problem"), some due to plateauing but it really sounds like you are in the right mindset thinking long term. If you continue that mindset you WILL be successful!

Your blog was a great read. You really put yourself out there and you are to be commended for that. This particular paragraph really struck me:

Last week it happened twice as a matter of fact. Both times it was from young girls, probably 6-8 years old. One was at the gym after a workout. I had a great conversation with someone and at the end of that conversation, as she and her daughter were walking away, the young girl said “wow, he is really fat isn’t he”. I have no idea what the mom said to her daughter and it really doesn’t matter. If she heard it, she was probably embarrassed. If you are reading this, I am not mad at your daughter, I promise!

I know it was just a little girl so that can be forgiven but people making those comments to other people at the gym disgust me (and they are out there). Making the first step into the gym is huge. Everyone in the gym should be encouraging each other as everyone has the same goal. I know it doesn't work that way. But it should.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I'm around 170-175, and that 1600-2000 calories wouldn't sustain me on a normal day, much less with my exercise included. Are you sure you're eating enough to make this sustainable?

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I enjoy reading your blog but forget about it. If you bumped this thread when you have new content you would get at least one extra view from me.

4dyceclone

Oct 23, 2013
DSM
I'm around 170-175, and that 1600-2000 calories wouldn't sustain me on a normal day, much less with my exercise included. Are you sure you're eating enough to make this sustainable?

At first it was tough. The advantage I have is that out of each 6 week challenge I have met my goal by week 4. For week 5-6 and then the off week between each challenge I boost my carbs to 150 and my calories to 2500 or so. It allows me to re feed so to speak, and this week's my weight loss actually increases. Now that I am adjusted to this way of eating I am honestly never hungry and I feel great.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

If he is losing around 3 lbs/week at his weight then I think it is fine.

4dyceclone

Oct 23, 2013
DSM
I enjoy reading your blog but forget about it. If you bumped this thread when you have new content you would get at least one extra view from me.

Will do. You can also like my Facebook page as all blog posts are posted there when they are up. Facebook.com/460reasons

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
I smiled over and over while reading it!!! You are doing a GREAT job and though I have never met you I am extremely proud of you and your efforts! I love what you are doing with the belt, keep going!
Thanks for posting and sharing with CF!!!

notoriouslfb

May 12, 2006

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I broke the 250 Lb barrier early this week (249.2). Hoping for 245 by next Saturday the 15th - my nephew's wedding. Now, deciding if I should wear shorts or not (JK - old thread reference.)

Last edited: