Should Iowa Move On from Mad Fran?

SHOULD Iowa fire Fran at the end of this season?

• Yes, he's scuttled the program

Votes: 59 24.4%
  • No, he's earned another shot

Votes: 166 68.6%
  • See results

Votes: 17 7.0%

• Total voters

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Other than he and Margaret terrorizing those who attend high school basketball games, he is the gift that keeps on giving. Once Jack is out of high school, that will be safe again. Once CC leaves, the men’s attendance might pick up again since people might want to see that kid from their local high school play in the house that CC filled. Who else can they find to do things “the right way” like Fran?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
While I could see Fran moving on or retiring with Jack not sticking around, his big contract is the only hang up I see. If you still want to coach, why wouldn’t you try to get as much of what you’re owed as possible?

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Agree, but Creighton might be a better job for McD. Fit is a big deal.

Off topic, but OSU should go after someone young and hungry. Old and experienced isn't what they need to turn things around. IMHO.
Fore sure-McD should never leave Creighton.

OSU went the young route with Holtman and that failed. Lamont Paris will be the next head coach at OSU. Ohio guy, played ball in Ohio, knows Ohio recruiting, and Big10 guy.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
It’s impossible in CBB to say who will struggle next year and who won’t. The transfer game can flip programs around immediately, plus there is already one big opening, Michigan could be next. A coaching change at a big school can have the same effect.
The young talent they have at Iowa is guys that dreamed of playing at Iowa, so I don't expect Iowa to lose much. The problem is their lack of success at transfers. As I said, if Iowa can get 1-2 solid transfers they could compete at high level in the Big10.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Creighton is not a better job than Ohio State. OSU has money just falling out of the sky and a rich tradition of success. It's the 7th largest state and flush with talent. Doesn't compete with in-state schools and OSU brand is recognized throughout the US. OSU is a f'ing machine and it's bigger than any pro sport team in Ohio, not even close.

Ohio State has a ton of money, but they are not spending it on MBB, here is what the Athletic article stated:

(According to the latest U.S. Department of Education data, Ohio State spent about $12 million on men’s hoops in 2021-22. For context, that’s more than Michigan spent but about $10 million less than Kentucky laid out.)

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Ohio State has a ton of money, but they are not spending it on MBB, here is what the Athletic article stated:

(According to the latest U.S. Department of Education data, Ohio State spent about $12 million on men’s hoops in 2021-22. For context, that’s more than Michigan spent but about $10 million less than Kentucky laid out.)

$12MM is a lot for 2021-2022, I bet that is top 10 in the nation at that time. Don't think for second that OSU wouldn't spend if it needed to. In the past month OSU/NIL have done the following: $14MM buyout for Holtman, $1.5MM buyout for Chip (salary is $4MM a year for OC), just took the AD from A&M which is flush with money, and $13MM paid for transfers. OSU/supporters will spend the money if they need to.

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017

This is what I'm curious about this coaching cycle. Yes, Ohio State has a ton of (NIL) money, but how much are they willing to spend it on basketball? You could argue (especially since they fired their coach already) they have the resources and desire to compete in basketball and football.

What about somewhere like Iowa? They haven't shown any ability to support basketball in NIL. Yeah you could argue it's a Fran factor, but can they support both football and basketball? Are they willing to? If they haven't yet do you really think it will change for the next coach?

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
From anyone outside of Iowa's orbit you want him to stay as he's the poster child for mediocrity so if you play Iowa you want him there. But if I was an Iowa fan I would have wanted him fired a long time ago. Not only is he an angry a-hole he hasn't taken Iowa to a Sweet 16 in his now 14th season. Tom Davis got pushed out because he couldn't take them past the Sweet 16 so how he's survived this long is amazing. Fans don't attend the games so apathy has long set in as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I think there are a lot of options out there that would be better for iowa. So, based on that I vote Fran for a lifetime contract.

Reactions: VeloClone

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Fran wants out just as bad as Iowa fans want him out. The problem is, he has nowhere else to go that will pay him close to what he's being paid now or allow him to save face. I think Fran's there until they tell him they don't want him anymore.

It's a sad, familiar tune in Iowa City.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Fran can't coach at Ohio State. That would require him to use the evil transfer portal.