Show

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
Oh boy, if you didn't hear the first segment of the 7am hour today Derek from New Sharon really put his foot in his mouth. A big rant on Caitlin Clark that included some bad takes on women's sports followed by some humble pie when Ross calming broke down the rant and pointed out how Derek calls in and talks about ISU Women's basketball too. One thing Ross brought up was that Nolan Ryan flew in to watch her game yesterday which Derek sheepishly responds "well I just lost some respect for him." I just cringed listening to it as that's not how most Cyclone fans sound or think like.
Supposedly hes a real guy but its so hard to believe sometimes with his off the all takes.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
He came on the radio last year saying he'd cheer for Iowa over South Carolina because of (things related to Dawn Staley's appearance) and I still can't believe that wasn't the last call he'd make on KXNO. He called in defending White Nationalism in 2020 and he stuck around after that though too.
Anything for ratings. It's sad that he makes ISU look bad though.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm not sure he is a real person. He's got to be somebody playing the character of a drunk redneck in his early 60s.

I asked Andy about this over some beers and he said he is 100% a real dude. Same with Boston Bobby.

• Informative
Reactions: DSMCy

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I asked Andy about this over some beers and he said he is 100% a real dude. Same with Boston Bobby.

He has some bad takes but he can be pretty funny sometimes. In a sad sort of way. If he's real I would like to have a Busch Light with him one time, and just sit back and observe.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
The afternoon show is hard to listen to due to Heather being a dumba$$ and constantly trying to ridicule what's his name. Sean?
Yeah the fact that she carries on the schtick of making fun of him for being an idiot, now that he's her cohost, makes it weird to listen. Like it was funny when he was just a kid producing a show and was the third wheel. But now he's a host and you keep making him out to be an idiot, when you yourself sound like an uniformed sports show host? Its just weird..

Thats the one thing i miss about williams. That dude would watch so many games and know the ins and outs of so many teams. He could actually talk sports. Ross, travis, sean, heather only watch whats casually relevant to them, so their sports opinions just come off as homer takes.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah the fact that she carries on the schtick of making fun of him for being an idiot, now that he's her cohost, makes it weird to listen. Like it was funny when he was just a kid producing a show and was the third wheel. But now he's a host and you keep making him out to be an idiot, when you yourself sound like an uniformed sports show host? Its just weird..

Thats the one thing i miss about williams. That dude would watch so many games and know the ins and outs of so many teams. He could actually talk sports. Ross, travis, sean, heather only watch whats casually relevant to them, so their sports opinions just come off as homer takes.
And he's not dumb. He got through college with learning disabilities which he's stated. Just shows Heather's ugliness.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
But thats the weird part. He's a host now. No one wants to listen to a "sports talk show" where the entire 3 hours is him being made out to be an idiot. So we're getting our sports takes and info from an idiot?
I don't love their show either but I feel like this is being overexaggerated.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm not sure he is a real person. He's got to be somebody playing the character of a drunk redneck in his early 60s.
Derek being real doesn't mean it's not also an act. Both things can be true.

I sometimes wonder if he isn't parodying redneck idiots, because the people I've met that sound and think like Derek the character often don't give any kind of a **** about sports, and he clearly follows quite a bit of sports.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
And he's not dumb. He got through college with learning disabilities which he's stated. Just shows Heather's ugliness.
Caller makes a reference to some movie from the 80's.

Sean: "Who's that? I've never heard of person X"
Heather: "What? How have you never heard of person X, from this mid=level 80's movie?"
Sean: "I don't know, I've never seen it"
Heather"What? how is that possible. everyone has seen that movie. You're the only person in the world that hasn't seen it"
Sean: "Yeah, I haven't seen it"
Heather: "Oh my god"

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I stopped listening many years ago and am smarter for it.
I only listen to these shows if Iowa gets destroyed or we do something impressive. In both instances it confirms my non-listening decision. The morning show is NEVER good. I literally hate Travis and anybody who likes him.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Oh boy, if you didn't hear the first segment of the 7am hour today Derek from New Sharon really put his foot in his mouth. A big rant on Caitlin Clark that included some bad takes on women's sports followed by some humble pie when Ross calming broke down the rant and pointed out how Derek calls in and talks about ISU Women's basketball too. One thing Ross brought up was that Nolan Ryan flew in to watch her game yesterday which Derek sheepishly responds "well I just lost some respect for him." I just cringed listening to it as that's not how most Cyclone fans sound or think like.

There was a douche on X called Hawkeye Burner or something like that who made an awful weight comment about Crooks.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
There was a douche on X called Hawkeye Burner or something like that who made an awful weight comment about Crooks.
To be fair someone on Cyclone Fanatic was angry after the ISU women lost to Drake a few years ago, and said one of the Drake players looked like Chris Farley.

The problem is the weight thing is such an easy and cheap insult. A friend in college went bald early some others would give him crap. He always asked why people would make fun of his hair, something he can't control, and not something like his b.o. He had a point.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Here's a question: has the morning show or the afternoon drive show even once mentioned the high school basketball tournaments going on last week and this week??? Seems like it would be a relevant sports topic...

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Here's a question: has the morning show or the afternoon drive show even once mentioned the high school basketball tournaments going on last week and this week??? Seems like it would be a relevant sports topic...

Sorry but people aren't tuning into KXNO for high school hoops talk.