MLB: So, the “Cleveland Guardians”…

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I will probably get blasted for this but I don't understand. I would think this would be a compliment to Native Americans to have team mascots named after them. Chiefs, Warriors, etc. To me teams use these names because they respect them. OK maybe they should not be called Indians. No team would name their own team mascot something that they did not respect or to belittle them. Polls I have seen show that the majority of Native Americans are not offended by doing this. Ok - some of you will bash me. Maybe someone will help me understand.

The name Indian isn't even accurate for indegionous folks and the cartoonish depiction of a Native American as a mascot was part of the preferred change too.

This will get the 'what's so racist about being racist!?' crowd triggered so that's at least entertaining.

Fwiw Guardians is a horrible name. If Marlins works I'm not sure how a fish or something couldn't have been used.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
If the Tribe isn’t racist (I genuinely don’t know), that would’ve been an awesome name

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I guess people from Cleveland at least understand why the name was chosen (has something to do with one of their bridges, as well as keeping the "-ians" in their name), even if they also would have preferred the Spiders name.

I don't think it's a bad name, but I also don't think it's a good name, either. Beyond finding it uninspired, I really have no opinion of it.

• Agree
Reactions: WooBadger18

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I will probably get blasted for this but I don't understand. I would think this would be a compliment to Native Americans to have team mascots named after them. Chiefs, Warriors, etc. To me teams use these names because they respect them. OK maybe they should not be called Indians. No team would name their own team mascot something that they did not respect or to belittle them. Polls I have seen show that the majority of Native Americans are not offended by doing this. Ok - some of you will bash me. Maybe someone will help me understand.

Haskell Indian Nations University was my neighbor for 15 years. They have students from all over the United States attend and were founded in 1884.

Their mascot is the Indians.

Ho15_N7_NCAA_Haskell_3200x3200px_300dpi_native_1600.jpg

Last edited:

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Ind-IANS!!!!

Guard-IANS!!!

What out-of-the box thinking,

This is why Cleveland has been, and will continue to be, the butt of a joke,

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I would have gone with the Bears, or the Eagles, something really clever like that.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Should have just changed the mascot to Apu from the Simpsons, and kept the name.
According to my Indian coworkers, this would have been a big hit. Thats how you sell some new merch around the world.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Should have just stuck with Cleveland and the block C on the hat. Sports radio in Columbus just shitted all over the name.

The name comes from the bridge that runs past the stadium which is a dump of a bridge., below is the Guardians...
1627132193685.png

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I’m not going to lookup a link, but wasn’t the “Indians” name a racist moniker from the beginning of it? They were the Spiders, then the Naps, then picked up Indians because a Native American was playing for them at the time. If they wanted to do it right, name the team after that Native American guy.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I agree antiquated words that border on racial slurs... Redskins, Indians... need to go.

But "Guardians" is such a stupid name for a baseball team.

They had the Cleveland Spiders or the Cleveland Municipals begging for them.

Nope. Pick the stupid one.

Oh well.

Here is hoping the Washington NFL franchise doesn't pick something equally as bad.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
They should've went all in....."Guardians of the Cuyahoga"......Chris Pratt could come in and learn to play first base since he couldn't throw anymore, and be all witty/clever while his dead mom provides a stellar soundtrack.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
The butt hurt over this is hilarious.

Baseball ain’t dying either boys.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron