Someone say the silent part out loud for me

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Why would the NCAA want to intentionally screw the biggest star in WBB out of winning a championship? I keep seeing people say(not all Hawk fans) that the game was not reffed fairly towards both ends and that "you know why" they wouldn't want Clark to be a national champion, which is why the game was fixed for LSU.

But I actually do not know why. At all. I'm beyond confused. Someone help.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
LSU had the far superior athleticism. Plus they shot lights out. Iowa deserved to lose but the refs were epic terrible.
I admit the refs were poor, but what women’s basketball I’ve watched, it seemed kinda par for the course. Even if you disagree with that, they were consistently inconsistent on both teams, sand you had 180 plus points scored in a game so they weren’t crazy heavy calling stuff.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
There are plenty of other threads to chew over the game or Caitlin Clark. I'm curious about the OP's original question as well.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I didn't watch any of the game so this is an honest question. Were the refs terrible both ways? Because I see that Iowa ended up with just one more foul than LSU.
They consistently inconsistent to both teams. Iowa committed 3 intentional fouls at the end to force free throws. Take that out and they had 2 less fouls.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I didn't watch any of the game so this is an honest question. Were the refs terrible both ways? Because I see that Iowa ended up with just one more foul than LSU.
I paid some attention to the game. Felt to me like a lot of the MBB games I watched this year that turned into ref shows. General over-officiating like we've seen dozens of times. Didn't feel unfair to me. Certainly not enough to swing the game in LSU's favor.

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
There are plenty of other threads to chew over the game or Caitlin Clark. I'm curious about the OP's original question as well.
I haven't heard or read anything where people are saying the NCAA wanted to screw Iowa/CC out of the title. If they are saying that, I agree it's a weird take and I don't get it either.

spk123

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines
I thought the refs were poor all around - over-officiating like others have said. Both teams had some calls go against them that probably shouldn't have. The Clark technical might tip the scales into the refs being just a little worse for Iowa, but we'd be talking about a difference of couple of points... not 17.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Iowa's strategy against South Carolina and LSU was the same --

-- we're smaller but more skilled/better shooters/have the ur-shooter of women's basketball
-- pack it in and make them shoot over us/crash the defensive glass to give ourselves a chance
-- South Carolina responded to this by playing an extremely ugly form of basketball where they would miss outside shots and hope to score in the scrum for offensive rebounds (which they often pulled down because they were bigger and stronger than Iowa's posts) or to draw a foul on putting back putbacks
-- South Carolina hung with Iowa but, in the end, Clark making three is better than a post making two
-- they tried the same thing against LSU, but LSU made its outside shots, game over

I don't think the officiating was great, but you when your game plan is allowing so many open threes and just hoping the other team doesn't make them and they make them... then that is on you.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I haven't heard or read anything where people are saying the NCAA wanted to screw Iowa/CC out of the title. If they are saying that, I agree it's a weird take and I don't get it either.
I saw some people hinting at that kind of language but not outright calling it a conspiracy or whatever. I chalked it up to sour grapes.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Iowa's strategy against South Carolina and LSU was the same --

-- we're smaller but more skilled/better shooters/have the ur-shooter of women's basketball
-- pack it in and make them shoot over us/crash the defensive glass to give ourselves a chance
-- South Carolina responded to this by playing an extremely ugly form of basketball where they would miss outside shots and hope to score in the scrum for offensive rebounds (which they often pulled down because they were bigger and stronger than Iowa's posts) or to draw a foul on putting back putbacks
-- South Carolina hung with Iowa but, in the end, Clark making three is better than a post making two
-- they tried the same thing against LSU, but LSU made its outside shots, game over

I don't think the officiating was great, but you when your game plan is allowing so many open threes and just hoping the other team doesn't make them and they make them... then that is on you.
LSU knew how to stop the pick and roll.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron