Someone say the silent part out loud for me

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
She's been doing this for years... Is it right? Absolutely not but teams have been dealing with this for a long time.
I know, that's partly my point. If you're going to call a T on something because it violates Rule 10 Section 12 Article 3K, then what's the rule/section/article mandating where a coach can/can't be while the game is in play and why aren't you calling a T when that's violated? Unless I'm wrong and there's nothing in the rules about coaches being on the court and initiating physical contact with a ref.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The refs were incompetent, but I don't think they had a bias.

The technical on Clark was some of the weakest **** I'd ever seen, and if I were an Iowa fan, I'd be apoplectic.
I think the T looks really bad because of what Mulkey was allowed to get away with on the sidelines. It seemed to me that the refs were kind of intimidated by her.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Their game against Iowa was the only South Carolina game I watched this season but, wow, for a team that was #1 and undefeated, their lack of skill and creativity on offense was shocking.

Their entire offense was just being bigger/stronger and bullying Iowa on the offensive boards. I don't know if they played like that against LSU and during the SEC season, but it was tough to watch.

You'd figure the #1 team like that would be dominant and versatile on both ends of the court so they are difficult to game plan against and can handle just about anything that opponents might throw at them, like UConn (#3 offense, #9 defense, #1 overall on Torvik). South Carolina just wanted a rebounding contest.
I felt that LSU had better skill and better athletes than South Carolina. They had the one guard that was super quick and skilled but that was it as far as guards. LIke you said, they seem to rely on just being way bigger than everybody else. Which did work pretty well for them I guess.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I know, that's partly my point. If you're going to call a T on something because it violates Rule 10 Section 12 Article 3K, then what's the rule/section/article mandating where a coach can/can't be while the game is in play and why aren't you calling a T when that's violated? Unless I'm wrong and there's nothing in the rules about coaches being on the court and initiating physical contact with a ref.

This is about the only part I agree with Iowa fans on. Getting all Poindexter on the letter of the rules while allowing Mulkey to conduct a sit-in at center court is absurd.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The officiating in the game was bad for both teams. The Iowa fans that are still complaining clearly don't understand basketball and they definitely don't understand how flawed Iowa's roster was. Clark covered up a lot of deficiencies most games because she was that damn good.
Czanio did also. She was auto under the basket. That’s gone next year.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Iowa's strategy against South Carolina and LSU was the same --

-- we're smaller but more skilled/better shooters/have the ur-shooter of women's basketball
-- pack it in and make them shoot over us/crash the defensive glass to give ourselves a chance
-- South Carolina responded to this by playing an extremely ugly form of basketball where they would miss outside shots and hope to score in the scrum for offensive rebounds (which they often pulled down because they were bigger and stronger than Iowa's posts) or to draw a foul on putting back putbacks
-- South Carolina hung with Iowa but, in the end, Clark making three is better than a post making two
-- they tried the same thing against LSU, but LSU made its outside shots, game over

I don't think the officiating was great, but you when your game plan is allowing so many open threes and just hoping the other team doesn't make them and they make them... then that is on you.
Plus LSU stopped the open drives to the basket. CC only attempted three 2 point shots and the only one she made as a driving layup. She had at least 6-7 layups against SC.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
this thread is fascinating...I've never cheered for Iowa but reading ISU fans support officiating like I watched yesterday is hilarious...it was terrible at best and IMO had a very large impact on the overall game. We've been on the other end of this type of **** and this board lit up like a Christmas tree...

Reactions: 7Got6

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Their game against Iowa was the only South Carolina game I watched this season but, wow, for a team that was #1 and undefeated, their lack of skill and creativity on offense was shocking.

Their entire offense was just being bigger/stronger and bullying Iowa on the offensive boards. I don't know if they played like that against LSU and during the SEC season, but it was tough to watch.

You'd figure the #1 team like that would be dominant and versatile on both ends of the court so they are difficult to game plan against and can handle just about anything that opponents might throw at them, like UConn (#3 offense, #9 defense, #1 overall on Torvik). South Carolina just wanted a rebounding contest.

I watched the LSU @ SC game and the Tigers got absolutely boat raced in that game. LSU tried to play SC straight up and their size was too much. Iowa exploited SC one pick and roll at a time and forced SC to hit jumpers and the gambled correctly because the cocks were ice cold.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
this thread is fascinating...I've never cheered for Iowa but reading ISU fans support officiating like I watched yesterday is hilarious...it was terrible at best and IMO had a very large impact on the overall game. We've been on the other end of this type of **** and this board lit up like a Christmas tree...
Huh? Most every, if not every post on the officiating has been that it was bad.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Iowa had 85 against LSU and 77 against South Carolina.

I'm not sure the number of possessions between the two games, but the LSU game did feel "faster." Both of them were 40-minute games, though, so the per 100s were probably pretty similar.

The problem wasn't Iowa scoring. The problem was they didn't stop LSU very much.

South Carolina would chuck up a jumper, brick it, and maybe score on the offensive boards.

LSU would just drill the three.

It is hard to win when you allow that much shooting to go uncontested and the other team makes it. Sometimes playing off weak shooters works (see the ISU/Pitt game). Sometimes it bites you.
Friday: Iowa was 28-57, SC was 30-77. SC took 20 more shots.
Sunday: Iowa was 28-56, LSU was 38-70. LSU took 14 more shots.

The difference: LSU made 8 more shots than SC, especially three pointers (11 vs 4).

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

No, anyone who watches a decent amount of women's hoops KNOWS that officiating is terrible.

cyowa

Apr 18, 2006
Officiating is almost always bad. Just the way it is. SIMPLY A PART OF THE GAME NO MATTER WHO THE OPPOSING TEAMS ARE.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I love that it all our resident hok posters have is complaining about the Clark T. They just can’t take their thumping and go home.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I love that it all our resident hok posters have is complaining about the Clark T. They just can’t take their thumping and go home.
Iowa has a truly amazing athletic department. They would never have lost any sporting event ever if it wasn’t for the damn refs.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Looked to me like more of a swat than her "chucking" the ball. Opinions are going to vary but if the refs are going to go letter-of-the-law on that then they should be consistently letter-of-the-law on other things. I'm guessing there's something in the rule book about a coach roaming on the court and making contact with a ref while the game is in play. Be consistent.
Yeah, no. She grabbed the ball, facing the official walking over to come get the ball and she behind the back passes it away from the official. Watch the replay at about :40.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Clark‘s behind the back pass intentionally thrown away from referees. Not gonna fault the referees for throwing the T. Thin Skinned Refs? Maybe. But they had enough of Clark’s antics. Clark CHOSE to pitch the ball. Referees responded with a correct ruling according to the rules. Clark could have avoided the T with a better attitude.
It would have been great if that would have cost them the game, but it didn’t. They were just getting their asses kicked

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Why would the NCAA want to intentionally screw the biggest star in WBB out of winning a championship? I keep seeing people say(not all Hawk fans) that the game was not reffed fairly towards both ends and that "you know why" they wouldn't want Clark to be a national champion, which is why the game was fixed for LSU.

But I actually do not know why. At all. I'm beyond confused. Someone help.

Because LSU was the better team on Sunday? This is why they play the game.

Reactions: carvers4math