Spring football video: Ryan Clanton's update on the offensive line

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I haven't been able to listen to Clanton. Should be good.

I half listened to James Neal's video. Multi-tasking. Did I hear right that Neal has moved inside to Guard this spring? If so, who running #1 at the Tackles? Miller & ???

Diehardisu6988

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2019

I half listened to James Neal's video. Multi-tasking. Did I hear right that Neal has moved inside to Guard this spring? If so, who running #1 at the Tackles? Miller & ???
I believe they’re preparing for the Princeton transfer to be LT when he gets here this summer.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois

I'm not convinced Neal is going to play guard. Probably just trying it on for size. That said I wish Maro or someone else would step up to be another dependable tackle.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

If you listen to his cyclones.com interview (different from this one), he just says he has practiced on both sides of the ball.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If you listen to his cyclones.com interview (different from this one), he just says he has practiced on both sides of the ball.
I listened to Clanton during half-time of the UConn game. And he did mention that Neal is playing both guard & tackle. Felt like it was spring experimenting. But Clanton did say Neal has NFL potential at guard or tackle and I know the NFL folks love backup OL who can play both guard & tackle.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: Aclone and CyValley

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
I believe they’re preparing for the Princeton transfer to be LT when he gets here this summer.

IMHO, it might be that Neal at OG is an experiment, a tactic that all OL have crosstraining.

How could they really know how the Princeton guy fits in until he gets here? Scouting, sure, but is that an absolute determination?

Train 'em all for multiple positions. I get it that Princeton OT size-wise seems to fit OT, but it is not yet proven. We will see.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
jim-carrey-jim-carrey-dumb-and-dumber.gif

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I'm sure this guy is a great coach...but we've all heard this rah rah fired up stuff before and then the season comes and it's still the weak spot. I'll believe it when we start seeing it on the field.

Well, I think we did start to see it in pass protection last season, so that's better than nothing. Don't think it's fair to assume failures of past coaches will continue just because we're ISU.

I'm not saying we should expect to see a Bama caliber o-line out there, but I'm choosing to be cautiously optimistic and hoping for more improvement out of that unit.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I laughed at Clanton's comments about how guys who also played basketball in high school were coached not to foul the opponent, while he's trying to teach them to foul the heck out of the opponent. :)

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Set the bowl game aside, and the OL massively improved over the course of the season. The pass pro was pretty good from the get go.

I don't know if it's going to be a strength this year, but it's hard to deny that the line play got a lot better.

James Neal in particular made insane growth from Ohio to KSU.