Spring football video: Ryan Clanton's update on the offensive line

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
You asked "how they could know" as if there aren't hours of tape of him at LT. That's how they know. Could he move? Sure. Was just trying to simplify things for you.

Do you understand your last sentence is insulting? It is a poor way to engage in an even-handed discussion.

Coaches continually state that you never know about a player until he gets on campus. It's a coaching mantra.

Despite all the film study, despite scouting in person, how can it be that a number of student-athletes never reach the heights coaches believed they could reach?

Maybe others here would like to compose such a list. Please give it a go with a few prominent names.

Then we'll ask this guy why the coaches didn't know the kids would fail but nevertheless offered them scholarships.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I'm running with the assumption that Memphis knew exactly what run play was being called every time we tried to run the ball. While that's alarming, I don't think it says much about the players on the field.
Of course they knew! Memphis fans sitting on our side of the field were stealing our signals and then texting the Memphis coaches with our play call. And then there was the ball boy. That MFer!

• Funny
  • Creative
Reactions: Aclone and nrg4isu

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Do you understand your last sentence is insulting? It is a poor way to engage in an even-handed discussion.

Coaches continually state that you never know about a player until he gets on campus. It's a coaching mantra.

Despite all the film study, despite scouting in person, how can it be that a number of student-athletes never reach the heights coaches believed they could reach?

Maybe others here would like to compose such a list. Please give it a go with a few prominent names.

Then we'll ask this guy why the coaches didn't know the kids would fail but nevertheless offered them scholarships.
If you want to engage in conversation around "well we don't really know", have at it. I'm just telling you that when you recruit a grad transfer, you're recruiting them to make an impact at the position they played at their previous school. If you're changing positions, tackle to guard, or tackle to center, it's a safe assumption that you didn't get the player you hoped.

Yes, I know it came off as condescending. The answer to your question was obvious.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
I'm just telling you. . . .

You're "telling", by which you assume you are the possesser of the one truth on the subject. That is a fallacy, imo (I'm not telling you a "truth", I'm offering a subjective opinion, which is all we got.)

Yes, I know it came off as condescending. The answer to your question was obvious.

Obvious to you. That's not good enough.

I'm done here.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
I'm sure this guy is a great coach...but we've all heard this rah rah fired up stuff before and then the season comes and it's still the weak spot. I'll believe it when we start seeing it on the field.
How did you not see the progress last year, bowl game aside.

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
You're "telling", by which you assume you are the possesser of the one truth on the subject. That is a fallacy, imo (I'm not telling you a "truth", I'm offering a subjective opinion, which is all we got.)

Obvious to you. That's not good enough.

I'm done here.

This is a message board, not Philosophy 201

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
How did you not see the progress last year, bowl game aside.

It was better. But there were definitely still problems and inconsistency.

What always got me was that some games (even some plays) the line would get to the second level and look amazing. Then in other games (and other plays) it all got blown up from "hike" and looked like they had never practiced together before. IDK, maybe that was guys still learning Clanton-ball, maybe it is just challenge of consistency in sports (like hitting 8/10 free throws). Or maybe its just harder to do against better defensive lines.

It just really seemed to me like there was a lot of A+ and F- results, and less in between - like an inverted bell curve.

The bowl game was just Memphis doing something crazy to speed up the game. Was disappointed the coaches couldn't figure out how to outscheme it. Real disappointed.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
It was better. But there were definitely still problems and inconsistency.

What always got me was that some games (even some plays) the line would get to the second level and look amazing. Then in other games (and other plays) it all got blown up from "hike" and looked like they had never practiced together before. IDK, maybe that was guys still learning Clanton-ball, maybe it is just challenge of consistency in sports (like hitting 8/10 free throws). Or maybe its just harder to do against better defensive lines.

It just really seemed to me like there was a lot of A+ and F- results, and less in between - like an inverted bell curve.

The bowl game was just Memphis doing something crazy to speed up the game. Was disappointed the coaches couldn't figure out how to outscheme it. Real disappointed.

Another poster commented on the weirdness of the Memphis game too. It's like we treated that game as a practice. There were a handful of plays vs Memphis where Memphis had 3 down linemen and maybe 2 more LB's/CB's in the 'box' and we'd run a generic delayed handoff right into area's occupied by defenders. Very weird. Almost the complete inverse of the offense we saw post Ohio.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'd go the similar for receivers, maybe even lowkey DL.
Have you paid attention to how good our DL has been the last five years or so?

Or the fact that two of our three returning wideouts were among conference leaders in receiving? One catches, the other yards?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Have you paid attention to how good our DL has been the last five years or so?

Or the fact that two of our three returning wideouts were among conference leaders in receiving? One catches, the other yards?

Will McDonald was exceptional at ISU.

Last year's wasn't anything spectacular.

The D itself has been a bit overrated imo. They check the boxes statistically for yardage etc. but aren't disruptive and still got beat over the top or in crucial situations over the years. 3rd down rate iirc still wasn't great.

I do believe they improved on causing turnovers last season so there's that.

What are your predictions on the season with all the talent available?

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If you want to engage in conversation around "well we don't really know", have at it. I'm just telling you that when you recruit a grad transfer, you're recruiting them to make an impact at the position they played at their previous school. If you're changing positions, tackle to guard, or tackle to center, it's a safe assumption that you didn't get the player you hoped.

I like Jalen Travis. A lot, as a transfer.

However, because of COVID he only got to play three years at Princeton.

On top of that, he was “only” second team all Ivy. Reminder, that’s not exactly the same thing as being second team all SEC. Or, for that matter, all MAC.

The odds are that he needs some serious time with S&C, and with Clanton and Co.

Further, people seem to forget that we had next to no functional depth at OT last year. And even if the two returnees on the depth chart improve, we still need more competition.

I’m quite all right if the staff brought Jalen in to compete for a starting position. And also okay if he winds up fitting in wherever he best fits in. Because other players improve, too.

Oh…he’ll also have a COVID year for ‘25 if he wants. So this isn’t exactly a one-shot thing.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I like Jalen Travis. A lot, as a transfer.

However, because of COVID he only got to play three years at Princeton.

On top of that, he was “only” second team all Ivy. Reminder, that’s not exactly the same thing as being second team all SEC. Or, for that matter, all MAC.

The odds are that he needs some serious time with S&C, and with Clanton and Co.

Further, people seem to forget that we had next to no functional depth at OT last year. And even if the two returnees on the depth chart improve, we still need more competition.

I’m quite all right if the staff brought Jalen in to compete for a starting position. And also okay if he winds up fitting in wherever he best fits in. Because other players improve, too.

Oh…he’ll also have a COVID year for ‘25 if he wants. So this isn’t exactly a one-shot thing.
I don't disagree with any of that. I was just saying when you take a transfer, he's most likely coming to play the position he's always played. CyValley essentially asked "How does the staff know where he will fit in? Scouting?" And the answer is yes, scouting.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Will McDonald was exceptional at ISU.

Last year's wasn't anything spectacular.

The D itself has been a bit overrated imo. They check the boxes statistically for yardage etc. but aren't disruptive and still got beat over the top or in crucial situations over the years. 3rd down rate iirc still wasn't great.

I do believe they improved on causing turnovers last season so there's that.

What are your predictions on the season with all the talent available?
We significantly improved in interceptions last season. But yeah, the bend, don't break, still has a frustrating and dangerous amount of bend.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Another poster commented on the weirdness of the Memphis game too. It's like we treated that game as a practice. There were a handful of plays vs Memphis where Memphis had 3 down linemen and maybe 2 more LB's/CB's in the 'box' and we'd run a generic delayed handoff right into area's occupied by defenders. Very weird. Almost the complete inverse of the offense we saw post Ohio.
I haven't re-watched it, but at the time I think someone said that Memphis basically ran-blitzed every down and dared us to throw it over the top every time. They KNEW they'd need a high-scoring game to win, so they basically wanted it to be high-possession and high-scoring, so they ran that gambling defense.

Now, ISU DID get a bunch of long passes, and 446 yards passing. Rocco averaged nearly 12 YPA(!!!) and over 20 yards per completion. And yet only 26 points.

Run game was Sama 12 carries for 4 yards, and Rocco had 8 carries for -4 yards (not sure how many scrambles or sacks in that). Literally 20 carries for 0 yards. This is what everyone remembers about the OL, and whilst it was terrible, it wasn't the entire body of work.

Game in a drive - ISU's 4th possession. Completed a 53yard pass to Higgins to the Memphis 11. Sama run to the 4, OK. Sama run again loss of 2 yards. 2 yard run by Rocco (scramble?). Field Goal. That negative play on 2nd down, trying to "we're gonna force it down your throats", and failing badly. Just sums up the game That kind of thing has cost against TOE as well.