Spring football video: Ryan Clanton's update on the offensive line

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Set the bowl game aside, and the OL massively improved over the course of the season. The pass pro was pretty good from the get go.

I don't know if it's going to be a strength this year, but it's hard to deny that the line play got a lot better.

James Neal in particular made insane growth from Ohio to KSU.

Agreed. My take is that we did basically nothing new for the bowl game on offense, especially in the run game. We might even have had a "tell". I'm running with the assumption that Memphis knew exactly what run play was being called every time we tried to run the ball. While that's alarming, I don't think it says much about the players on the field.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Feeling a need to run through brick walls?

Not just that. It is more of his overall philosophy of development and straight-forward approach . . . and the "be violent" part.

Reactions: Aclone

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Not holding my breath after watching the Texas and Memphis games. Pass protection is good though. The OL coaching philosophy is rudimentary- be violent. Clanton even admits to dumbing down the blocking schemes. That is the opposite of what I expected- we are not going to get top national strength and size, so why not try versatility and complexity?

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I understand that we need and OL that can get the 1 yard when we need 1 yard most of the time. But what I saw in the Memphis game was a coach who called a play and had no viable option for switching when there were extra guys in the box. OL has no chance of success when reads and changes do not happen.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
The OL greatly improved through the year. The Memphis game brought flashbacks from the Ohio game however. I am tempering my expectations.
If teams stack the box on us we should be throwing to the TE and laterally constantly…. We never do this against Iowa hence Iowas record against Campbell. Teams that beat Iowa by the way typically don’t run it 30 times

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
If teams stack the box on us we should be throwing to the TE and laterally constantly…. We never do this against Iowa hence Iowas record against Campbell. Teams that beat Iowa by the way typically don’t run it 30 times
That has been Campbell's Achilles heel. He is slow to abandon the run. I don't remember many games where the run got better as the game went on. When it sucked early, it sucked all game. Rocco throwing early and often against Memphis may have changed that game. Of course, the defense was awful too.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
IMHO, it might be that Neal at OG is an experiment, a tactic that all OL have crosstraining.

How could they really know how the Princeton guy fits in until he gets here? Scouting, sure, but is that an absolute determination?

Train 'em all for multiple positions. I get it that Princeton OT size-wise seems to fit OT, but it is not yet proven. We will see.
Haha, yeah, you're usually recruited to play the position you've always played and that's determined by your play at that position. They have lots of tape of him at LT. It's not that complicated.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Haha, yeah, you're usually recruited to play the position you've always played and that's determined by your play at that position. They have lots of tape of him at LT. It's not that complicated.

Clanton has stated at least a couple time the linemen in his room are trained at several positions. IIRC.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Clanton has stated at least a couple time the linemen in his room are trained at several positions. IIRC.
You asked "how they could know" as if there aren't hours of tape of him at LT. That's how they know. Could he move? Sure. Was just trying to simplify things for you.