MLB: St. Louis Cardinals 2016 thread

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Not a great start today obviously with the 4-1 loss at Pittsburgh, but it's a long season. Go Cardinals!

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
Had some opportunities today but just didn't convert.

Hoping the Tommy Pham injury news isn't too bad. He left after 1 inning today. Still havent seen an update.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Had some opportunities today but just didn't convert.

Hoping the Tommy Pham injury news isn't too bad. He left after 1 inning today. Still havent seen an update.
And to add insult to injury, Adams had to step in and bat against a lefty for the rest of the game. Adams vs. lefty pitchers is no bueno.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
For the first time since 2010, the Cardinals will not make the playoffs.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Think it's pretty neat that the two teams that had their seasons end by the Cubs got to face off against each other to start the new season. Kind of felt like watching a consolation game.

In all seriousness, looking forward to the banter this year. I hope you guys don't make the playoffs, and don't think you have the talent to do so, but you are the Cardinals, so I wouldn't be shocked if you made it.

E# = 160

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
They may surprise me again, but I don't think the Cardinals have the offense to make the playoffs this year. Will still be wearing my Cardinal red when they play the Cubs at Busch on April 19.
I think the Cards finished like 24th in the league in runs scored last season and still had the best record in all of baseball. Obviously that will be hard to duplicate this season but the Cards rotation and bullpen are both very, very strong.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Think it's pretty neat that the two teams that had their seasons end by the Cubs got to face off against each other to start the new season. Kind of felt like watching a consolation game.

In all seriousness, looking forward to the banter this year. I hope you guys don't make the playoffs, and don't think you have the talent to do so, but you are the Cardinals, so I wouldn't be shocked if you made it.

E# = 160

It would be so nice to have a thread where fans of a team could discuss said team but this is the Internet so that will never happen these are the days of smack talk. ISUCUBS you seem nice enough but will just never understand the compulsion to comment in a thread that isn't about your team.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
It would be so nice to have a thread where fans of a team could discuss said team but this is the Internet so that will never happen these are the days of smack talk. ISUCUBS you seem nice enough but will just never understand the compulsion to comment in a thread that isn't about your team.
It happens in every team thread. Cards, Cubs, etc. It'd help if Cards fans wouldn't go into the Cubs thread to talk smack.

Coming from a Cards fan.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
Baseball Prospectus is picking the Cards for 81-81 this year. They have the Cubs at 94-68.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I'm a Cardinals fan. The game yesterday was the same performance as last year: Pitching is good enough to win, but the offense squanders so many opportunities.

The optimist in me says the rotation is lights out this year and the offense improves with good years from a healthy Holliday, and good seasons from Grichuk and Piscotty. The rotation should be improved with Wainwright back and an improved season from Martinez and Wacha. The Leake signing is underrated, in my opinion. I think he was a huge pickup for the rotation. Hopefully Garcia can stay healthy all year, but the past has shown us that is unlikely.

The pessimist in me says: We didn't change a thing from last year's offense. Counting on two young guys (Grichuk/Piscotty) to carry the offense does not speak well for this season. The rotation can't replicate what they did last year to off-set a poor offense. The season is already starting off poorly with clubhouse issues per the STL Dispatch article from last week.

I hope Mozeliak/Matheny can work their magic again, but I'm expecting a surprisingly down year for the Cards this year. I wouldn't be surprised to find them in 3rd place in the NL Central behind the Cubs and the Pirates. Their due for a poor year given the run they've had.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
This is the first time in years if not a decade + i am thinking the cards are not a playoff team. They are starting to get old at some key positions (Molina, Peralta, Holiday, Waino). Maybe the farm system is ready to step it up, I just think the cubs spent their money to win this year and Pitt is still tough.

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
I agree with the concerns about STL, I think the front office did not do enough to address the offensive issues with the team. Not only did Heyward go but STL also did not pick up one of the FA bats like Upton, Davis, Gordon.

A down year isn't the end of the world when the Cardinals basically have as many World Series wins as the rest of the NL Central combined

Last edited:

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
I see Pham is on the 15 day DL and Diaz is getting called up. So the Holliday at 1B experiment is probably on hold for a while. Guessing we will see Adams and Moss over there with Holliday in LF while Pham is out.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
As a Cubs fan, I've learned to never doubt the Cardinals. Everyone on this roster could get hurt, and they'd call up their Double-A team and somehow win 85 games. I hate them, but they play the game right throughout the entire system.

Still think the Cubs will have a better season, but I also think the Cards will beat out the Pirates for the wild card spot. Long season ahead of us, lot of baseball to be played.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I'm pretty pumped that it's finally baseball season. I don't know if they've got the bats to make a run this year though. Losing Hayword is really going to hurt. Pitching will be fine but the offense is going to struggle.