MLB: St. Louis Cardinals 2016 thread

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
It happens in every team thread. Cards, Cubs, etc. It'd help if Cards fans wouldn't go into the Cubs thread to talk smack.

Coming from a Cards fan.
Agreed - I don't like smack talk from anyone -especially from fans of my favorite team, embarrassing.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
As a Cubs fan, I've learned to never doubt the Cardinals. Everyone on this roster could get hurt, and they'd call up their Double-A team and somehow win 85 games. I hate them, but they play the game right throughout the entire system.

Still think the Cubs will have a better season, but I also think the Cards will beat out the Pirates for the wild card spot. Long season ahead of us, lot of baseball to be played.
Hmmm, it seems we disagree on the Cubs. I've got them finishing 0-162 this season.

Carr50010

Apr 4, 2010
Ames
Waiting to see if the Cardinals offense is as flat lined as I think it will be. Should be a long year for the Cardinals trying to keep up with the Cubs and Pirates.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's almost as if the Cards organization has gotten cocky with how they keep playing winning ball every year without doing much in free agency. It's almost like a badge of honor to them or something?

They desperately needed to add some bats in the lineup this offseason, power bats IMO. Holliday is old, and that's who they are depending on for power.

They have to have a lot of money to spend, so hopefully they will make some moves at some point to add offense.

go1970cy

Jun 2, 2015
Think it's pretty neat that the two teams that had their seasons end by the Cubs got to face off against each other to start the new season. Kind of felt like watching a consolation game.

In all seriousness, looking forward to the banter this year. I hope you guys don't make the playoffs, and don't think you have the talent to do so, but you are the Cardinals, so I wouldn't be shocked if you made it.

E# = 160
d83224ea5f4e4c36aa12f4b8641f7237.jpg

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
It's almost as if the Cards organization has gotten cocky with how they keep playing winning ball every year without doing much in free agency. It's almost like a badge of honor to them or something?

They desperately needed to add some bats in the lineup this offseason, power bats IMO. Holliday is old, and that's who they are depending on for power.

They have to have a lot of money to spend, so hopefully they will make some moves at some point to add offense.
If people stay healthy, we have plenty of power. Holliday, Grichuk, and Carpenter are all good for 20 homers easily if healthy. Carpenter has also had 40+ doubles twice in the last three years. It's certainly not as powerful as the Blue Jays or Orioles but there is some power in the Cards lineup.

I agree that the lineup lacked power last year and didn't get better in the offseason but so much of that was due to injuries. Then the Cubs gave Heyward probably the most player-friendly contract possible in the offseason and he bolted as well (it'll be interesting to see how that contract plays out for the Cubs, by the way).

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
Not a great outing for Wacha tonight. Really impressed with our new pitcher Oh though. He's got 5 Ks in 2.0 IP this year.

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
Tough loss, a little concerned about Wacha. Bullpen was brilliant. Too bad we couldn't manufacture another run or two. Matheny's in-game tactics, as usual, were questionable with the Wong bunt, Holliday pinch runner, etc.