Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I'd have to re-watch the episode, but was Baylan referring to fall of Anakin and the brief time period where he murdered younglings and the Separatist leaders or the broken man being kept alive by machinery?

There's supposed to be only a small handful people that knew Anakin survived his duel with Obi-wan and was in the suit. The Emperor, Obi-wan and maybe Yoda pre-ANH, Luke in ESB, Leia in ROTJ. Ahsoka found out during her duel with him. Thrawn figured it out, and Takin suspected Vader was Anakin. Reva threw it out in the Obi-wan series as a way to taunt Kenobi, so that is technically how he found out. Although the explanation for how she knew for certain was never clear. Even after Luke and Leia found out, it didn't become public knowledge until almost 25 years after Endor per the canon novel Bloodlines.
That kind of jumped out at me too because like you said Anakin=Vader was not widely known at the time this was happening. It really has me wondering who Baylan is.

Also I love the character of Baylan, as much as it sucks that the actor passed this year I really hope they recast it because that story arc could get really good.

Reactions: khardbored

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
I thought I read somewhere that he was a former guard at the Jedi Temple. I agree that he's pretty good in that role. Just from watching Clone Wars and Rebels, it's pretty clear that Ahsoka is pretty good with a lightsaber...maybe the best if not right up there among them. That she struggled with Baylin tells me that he's pretty tough.

This is dumb and pointless, but if I were to rate how strong they are in a one on one lightsaber battle, I'd go:
1. Sidious
2. Anakin
3. Yoda
4. Ahsoka
5. Windu
6. Obi-Wan
7. Vader
8. Maul
9. Luke
10. Qui-Gon
Didn’t Obi-Wan beat Anakin and leave him to char? Or are you considering the person in that battle Vader already?

I don’t think the list is pointless. I could geek out on this for a long while.

I feel like Ahsoka is too high, and Luke bested Vader once he completed his training. Sidious #1? Seemed better with force lightening.

Reactions: Frak

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I thought I read somewhere that he was a former guard at the Jedi Temple. I agree that he's pretty good in that role. Just from watching Clone Wars and Rebels, it's pretty clear that Ahsoka is pretty good with a lightsaber...maybe the best if not right up there among them. That she struggled with Baylin tells me that he's pretty tough.

This is dumb and pointless, but if I were to rate how strong they are in a one on one lightsaber battle, I'd go:
1. Sidious
2. Anakin
3. Yoda
4. Ahsoka
5. Windu
6. Obi-Wan
7. Vader
8. Maul
9. Luke
10. Qui-Gon
Whar Darth Jar Jar? Potentially #1 on that list.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

1. Sidious
2. Anakin
3. Yoda
4. Ahsoka
5. Windu
6. Obi-Wan
7. Vader
8. Maul
9. Luke
10. Qui-Gon

I'd flip the last two, assuming we are talking Luke in Ep 6 and Qui-Gon in Ep. 1. (Luke in the Baby Yoda show had clearly got a lot better). Vader in his late 40's/early 50's in the suit was pretty limited.

Well, now that I think about it ... it's inconsistent across the episodes. The fact that the choreography in the prequels and newer stuff is so much better makes me jaded. (They just didn't do as much with that in the 70's / early 80's)

That kind of jumped out at me too because like you said Anakin=Vader was not widely known at the time this was happening. It really has me wondering who Baylan is.

Also I love the character of Baylan, as much as it sucks that the actor passed this year I really hope they recast it because that story arc could get really good.
Or they could use the digital face, a - la Tarkin in Rogue 1.

Reactions: Frak

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'd flip the last two, assuming we are talking Luke in Ep 6 and Qui-Gon in Ep. 1. (Luke in the Baby Yoda show had clearly got a lot better). Vader in his late 40's/early 50's in the suit was pretty limited.

Well, now that I think about it ... it's inconsistent across the episodes. The fact that the choreography in the prequels and newer stuff is so much better makes me jaded. (They just didn't do as much with that in the 70's / early 80's)

Yeah, if you put everyone at their peak, I guess the list changes some. Luke probably moves up the list.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Oh god, no. That technique needs to stop right now. De-aging is one thing, and the non-speaking cameo (ala The Flash) is another, but bringing dead actors to life for full performances or even full on face replacement, like they did with Luke, needs to go away. It one of the things that is a point of contention with strike.

I get the allure of wanting the original actors to show up again, but had they just recast a younger Luke, they could use him more extensively in current and upcoming projects set in this time period.

As far as digi-duping Ray Stevenson, assuming his character survives, accept that the actor is gone, honor his memory and contribution to the story, and recast if they want the character to continue. Other series have done it and survived. Heck, other series have just flat out recast for less dire reasons and the audience generally accepts it. I think there was one character in Game of Thrones that was played by three different actors. It's weird for a minute, but you move on.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
As someone who hasn't watched the animated series I felt like I missed a lot on this episode. Wasn't my favorite but glad it was great for everyone who has that background!

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
As someone who hasn't watched the animated series I felt like I missed a lot on this episode. Wasn't my favorite but glad it was great for everyone who has that background!
Yeah this episode was heavy on the Clone Wars content. If you get a chance go back and watch a bit of that.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Cycodolphan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2010
Yeah this episode was heavy on the Clone Wars content. If you get a chance go back and watch a bit of that.
I had never seen rebels and just a few seasons of Clone Wars. Tonight before episode 5 I watched the final 2 episodes of Rebels and I was so glad I did.

It ties in perfectly

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Live action Commander rex and siege of mandalore!

Edit: changed to rex. Cody was probably there tho.

Last edited:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Personally I liked E4 better, but this one was really, really good. Glad I watched CW and Rebels. I was a little worried about this series early on, but it has ratcheted up about 10 notches.

Reactions: BryceC

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Personally I liked E4 better, but this one was really, really good. Glad I watched CW and Rebels. I was a little worried about this series early on, but it has ratcheted up about 10 notches.
Agreed. I liked 4 a little better, but this was still really good.

I'm stating to side with the New Republic Senators, though. We need to see this big bad they're all afraid of pretty soon.

Last edited:
  • Agree