STORY: Iowa State's defense was a no-show in Norman

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
What was honestly wrong with our secondary yesterday? They seemed to always run away from the ball when it was in the air. Everyone raves about Tampa being a day one or two pick, but he was nowhere to be found yesterday. Freyler was also nowhere to be found and he’s hyped up as an NFL prospect. I think our secondary is too slow.
Freyler following the ISU model of exploding on to the scene and impressing early in his career and slowly regressing to barely serviceable Big 12 player by the time he's finished. See Greg Eisworth and Kamari Cotton-Moya

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Yeah, it's not the problem, it's the magnitude. Also it pretty much IS a zero sum game. As OU gets better players, we get less talented players. Coaches too, but they aren't on the field with the ball.

I don't agree that it's a reflection of the coaching staff at all. In fact, from a coaching standpoint I liked what I saw. Offensive creativity. At no time were we out of alignment on defense. Heacock has some goodwill to burn. Strength staff and OL guys are new, they get some time
It strikes me that 2 things are simultaneously accurate:

1. NIL will create self destructive disparities between rich and poor teams.

2. Campbell's program already was trending downward due in large part to coaching deficiencies.

IMO, #1 did not create number #2. It does, however, make #2 harder to correct.

Also, you say that strength and OL staff are new and should get some time. But, those roles (strength especially) have been revolving doors under MC.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Uh, I think you should take away this: for the last few years, OU WASNT on a completely different level. We are backsliding into some pretty alarming territory
Agree. OU might be a bit better than in recent years, but they are still not the OU of the Bob Stoops/early Lincoln Riley years. Those teams would have won that game by an even wider margin Saturday, and put up 70+. This OU team is good. I agree with Brent and Chris that they are Top 20, maybe even Top 10. But this is not a team that will be competing for the CFP this year by any stretch. They are a 9, maybe 10-win team. Which is good but not great by OU standards historically.

I think Iowa State would have been able to compete better, but the bottom fell out pretty quickly. They took the first punch well, the pick 6. But then in the 2nd quarter, you had an OU TD drive, followed by an ISU 3 and out, followed by an ISU punt blocked for a safety, followed by an OU sustained drive ending in a FG, followed by an ISU INT, followed by OU scoring another TD on a short field against our seemingly always susceptible 2-minute defense. The game was decided in that 8-9 minute window of time in the 2nd quarter. Momentum shifts like that are pretty rare. We matched them pretty much blow for blow until that point, and only lost 10-0 in the 2nd half. I don't think the disparity is quite as bad as some people are making it out to be.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
It strikes me that 2 things are simultaneously accurate:

1. NIL will create self destructive disparities between rich and poor teams.

2. Campbell's program already was trending downward due in large part to coaching deficiencies.

IMO, #1 did not create number #2. It does, however, make #2 harder to correct.

Also, you say that strength and OL staff are new and should get some time. But, those roles (strength especially) have been revolving doors under MC.

Your opinion is fair. I'm just more willing to be patient than you are.

I agree with your second point, but again, he's made moves to address it and I'm willing to wait and see. Honestly, I'm still of a mind that we're not going to replace CMC with someone better for ISU at this point in time. It will take a much bigger downturn by CMC or some big opportunity to present itself for that to happen.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Freyler following the ISU model of exploding on to the scene and impressing early in his career and slowly regressing to barely serviceable Big 12 player by the time he's finished. See Greg Eisworth and Kamari Cotton-Moya

All those guys are essentially the same player; good, sometimes great in run support and below average in coverage due to lack of overall speed.

Nikkel and Freyler are being targeted by opposing offenses in coverage, especially vs OU/OSU, and will likely continue throughout the season.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
All those guys are essentially the same player; good, sometimes great in run support and below average in coverage due to lack of overall speed.

Nikkel and Freyler are being targeted by opposing offenses in coverage, especially vs OU/OSU, and will likely continue throughout the season.
It is too bad we can't have the Harrison Smith's of the world instead.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Exactly. I don’t think Saturday was a reflection of NIL. OU always has, and always will have better players. What I’m afraid of is that it’s a reflection on the coaching staff. For a while, we developed players and schemed to a high level where we were essentially on the same playing field as more talented teams. I don’t know if that is the case anymore.

That's where I'm at this season. NIL will be the scapegoat for every underperforming team for a few years.

The problem ISU has is that with their recruiting they can't afford to be as young as they are. You have to have a steady pipeline of 4-5 year guys making up most of the roster. They've missed to often lately and add that with losing 5-6? guys from the gambling probe and from a talent perspective there's just no way to be competitive.

Big 12 is down this year so maybe they can figure out a way to get a few more games, but mostly I think this season is surviving so you have something to build on next year.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
That's where I'm at this season. NIL will be the scapegoat for every underperforming team for a few years.

The problem ISU has is that with their recruiting they can't afford to be as young as they are. You have to have a steady pipeline of 4-5 year guys making up most of the roster. They've missed to often lately and add that with losing 5-6? guys from the gambling probe and from a talent perspective there's just no way to be competitive.

Big 12 is down this year so maybe they can figure out a way to get a few more games, but mostly I think this season is surviving so you have something to build on next year.
Yeah.

NIL doesn't explain KSU. Illinois. KU. Duke. Maryland. aTm.

Coaching still matters tremendously, both in recruiting and gameplay.

Endless excuses for consistent poor coaching, both in preparation and during the games.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Yeah.

NIL doesn't explain KSU. Illinois. KU. Duke. Maryland. aTm.

Coaching still matters tremendously, both in recruiting and gameplay.

Endless excuses for consistent poor coaching, both in preparation and during the games.
I agree with your point, but...

NIL has been a huge factor at aTm. They've been spending big time.

Mix in the B1G teams that can have their donors dedicate all their money towards NIL since their new media payouts are enough to support the AD.

Both Duke and KU have money to throw around due to their hoops success.

KSU is the only one that's really a fair comparison, IMO, and that's where we've simply been outcoached and outrecruited.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan