NBA: Summer 2018 Off Season Thread

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
This is why I don't watch the NBA anymore. Star players basically seek out trades or load up a team full of stars when they hit free agency so it's hard to get too attached to a player because rarely do they stay with the same franchise for all or the bulk of their career like the stars of the 80's and 90's did. Second, I feel bad for DeRozan because he actually wanted to stay in Toronto and was a casualty of Leonard's trade demand. Both players are going to teams they don't want to be a part of but DeRozan is the biggest victim because he was committed to Toronto which is a place most All Stars probably have on their list as a place they want to avoid.

That's not just the NBA, that is all team sports both pro and amateur. All players are exersizing their right to play for, teamates and where they want to even in college and high school. Especially if the NCAA fully allows transfers not to sit out. In this day an age a sports fan is easier to root for a franchise/college/highschool than individual players. I think most Spurs and Raptor fans will end up being happier with their franchise once the season started Toronto is a Championship contender now and the Spurs fans were finished with Kawhi and will embrace DeMar.

You can feel "bad" for DeRozan but he signed a 28 mill per year contract knowing this was a possibility and still will get paid (even more actually due to Texas not having state taxes) for a good franchise. Kawhi will be able to chose his team/city next year like all people who have completed a contract, not just because he was drafted by a team and told to live in SA.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Man alive when the Raptors want to put the clamps on teams next year they will be elite with OG, Lowry, Siakam, Leonard, Ibaka. This is truly their only year they have a shot at the title glad they swung for the fences. Boston and Philly will be battling it out the next five years at minimum otherwise.

Don't forget the other piece in Danny Green acquired yesterday. Toronto adds a desperately needed 3 point shooter to alleviate some pressure off CJ Miles. Plus Green has consistently been a great perimeter defender, being only a year removed from All-Defense second team honors.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked and Doc

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
You can feel "bad" for DeRozan but he signed a 28 mill per year contract knowing this was a possibility and still will get paid (even more actually due to Texas not having state taxes) for a good franchise. Kawhi will be able to chose his team/city next year like all people who have completed a contract, not just because he was drafted by a team and told to live in SA.

The part I feel bad for him is he's been in Toronto his entire 9 year career and had his chance to leave in free agency but stayed and has basically been the face of that franchise. He is going to a franchise with a great coach but you have to think he's not a big fan of Kawhi right now because it's his trade demand that uprooted him from a franchise he's been pretty committed to his entire career. Raptors will be better because if the deal until Kawhi leaves after the season in free agency while I'm not sure the Spurs are any better from the deal now but got a decent return on a disgruntled player with 1 year left on his contract.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Can a team purchase insurance for those types of instances? No brainer if you can by a policy from someone even if the premium was kind of high.

I'm not sure about insurance policies. I know teams can protect themselves to an extent by putting injury language in a player's contract. Embiid's last deal with the Sixers comes to mind.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Kind of dig the OKC trade, cant blame them for getting an asset for Melo even if it costs them a lot in taxes as they wouldnt be able to get anything of value otherwise being above the tax line. Not sure how great of a fit Dennis S is but going to a winning franchise should help him out a lot.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Kind of dig the OKC trade, cant blame them for getting an asset for Melo even if it costs them a lot in taxes as they wouldnt be able to get anything of value otherwise being above the tax line. Not sure how great of a fit Dennis S is but going to a winning franchise should help him out a lot.
Completely agree. Almost wonder if Westbrook/George had some input on that.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Could be awkward next year when CJ and KD join LBJ in LA.

The NBA off season is just the best.

I once saw an old man get jumped by 3 guys so i stepped in to help. He didn’t stand a chance against the 4 of us - KD.

Love that tweet.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Kevin Durant is unbelievably thin skinned. Most superstars eventually learn to shut out any criticism that comes their way, or at least not to engage.

The guy quit on okc up 3-1 in the western conference finals. Then signed with the warriors. The pr machine that is the nba has worked tirelessly to promote him as bird to lebron’s magic.
Too bad he’s a ****** person, and not likeable in real life. So despite the propaganda, he isn’t beloved.

Sad part is he is the greatest amalgamation of talented genetics ever. A 7’1 guy who handles like a guard, shoots out to 30 feet effortlessly, great passer, rebounds, blocks shots, a guard/center.

Also a true beta

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The guy quit on okc up 3-1 in the western conference finals. Then signed with the warriors. The pr machine that is the nba has worked tirelessly to promote him as bird to lebron’s magic.
Too bad he’s a ****** person, and not likeable in real life. So despite the propaganda, he isn’t beloved.

Sad part is he is the greatest amalgamation of talented genetics ever. A 7’1 guy who handles like a guard, shoots out to 30 feet effortlessly, great passer, rebounds, blocks shots, a guard/center.

Also a true beta

It pisses me off how much he’s become a whiner in GS. Honestly, I give bigs a bit of a break when it comes to Ts because they are getting beat up all game and that stuff adds up. KDs just floating around the perimeter waiting for some slight so he can throw a hissy fit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron