Survivor 45

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Just finished the finale and thought the players were the worst strategy players in many, many seasons. Heavy on relationships which determined the winner. Thought Austin might get it for never having his name written down but Dee also controlled the game more than him.

Top 5 dumbest move was Katurah switching to Julie when she could have voted out Dee. Dee was great in challenges and Julie wasn’t - I think that was her path at winning. Also thought Jake deserved a vote or two because he was the definition of Survivor and was at least willing to try and make big moves.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Just finished the finale and thought the players were the worst strategy players in many, many seasons. Heavy on relationships which determined the winner. Thought Austin might get it for never having his name written down but Dee also controlled the game more than him.

Top 5 dumbest move was Katurah switching to Julie when she could have voted out Dee. Dee was great in challenges and Julie wasn’t - I think that was her path at winning. Also thought Jake deserved a vote or two because he was the definition of Survivor and was at least willing to try and make big moves.
Agree with your post.

Jake took away any votes he would have had with his temper tantrum at the challenge

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

Wife and I finished watching this weekend (haven't watched the aftershow yet)

I found it to be a pretty meh season. No season has perfect gameplay but I agree with you that the gameplay this season was well below par. Between all the quitters to start the season, Nobody making a serious attempt to break up a fairly obvious 4 person alliance, Austin just giving up an immunity idol to someone he would later try to vote out, Bruce knowing he was a target going home with an idol in his pocket, Austin telling Dee about the Julie blindside, Katurah for reason I can't really comprehend votes for Julie instead of Dee*.

Dee was the right winner among the three, she had more impact on the gameplay for the season than Jake and wasn't a complete dunce like Austin.

*As an aside regarding this, I can't really understand why Katurah thinks Jake should have told her about this beforehand. That would be the worst thing Jake could do as that would allow her to go to Julie and Dee and potentially get him voted out.

edit to add, I too prefer the 90 minute episodes

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Wife and I finished watching this weekend (haven't watched the aftershow yet)

I found it to be a pretty meh season. No season has perfect gameplay but I agree with you that the gameplay this season was well below par. Between all the quitters to start the season, Nobody making a serious attempt to break up a fairly obvious 4 person alliance, Austin just giving up an immunity idol to someone he would later try to vote out, Bruce knowing he was a target going home with an idol in his pocket, Austin telling Dee about the Julie blindside, Katurah for reason I can't really comprehend votes for Julie instead of Dee*.

Dee was the right winner among the three, she had more impact on the gameplay for the season than Jake and wasn't a complete dunce like Austin.

*As an aside regarding this, I can't really understand why Katurah thinks Jake should have told her about this beforehand. That would be the worst thing Jake could do as that would allow her to go to Julie and Dee and potentially get him voted out.

edit to add, I too prefer the 90 minute episodes

Austin had a chance to win if he would have organized the Julie vote and then also tried to get Dee voted out. He floated along and did well (hence the no votes) but he never really make a big move or controlled the game. His idea that he could go up against Dee and beat her was really bad gameplay. At least Jake TRIED to. But you are right, Dee was the rightful winner of the 3.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I guess I thought it was a decent season compared to the 2 horrible ones of 41 and 42 and even last season was decent I guess but I wasn't a big fan of Yam Yam who won. They brought back the auction this season and tried to change up the challenges some so I guess I viewed it as progress to making it less predictable. Unfortunately the social game is becoming a big part of how people win. Seems like that aspect is becoming more of an important part than anything. The juries haven't necessarily been bitter ones lately but some seem to vote weighted more on their relationship with players than the strength of their gameplay in the non-social aspects.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I guess I thought it was a decent season compared to the 2 horrible ones of 41 and 42 and even last season was decent I guess but I wasn't a big fan of Yam Yam who won. They brought back the auction this season and tried to change up the challenges some so I guess I viewed it as progress to making it less predictable. Unfortunately the social game is becoming a big part of how people win. Seems like that aspect is becoming more of an important part than anything. The juries haven't necessarily been bitter ones lately but some seem to vote weighted more on their relationship with players than the strength of their gameplay in the non-social aspects.
Wonder how that social game would work if they drew new buffs every three days?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Wonder how that social game would work if they drew new buffs every three days?
That would sure make things interesting if they were constantly mixing up the tribes before the merge. You still have to navigate the social game post merge though and by the end you've probably made some friendships with people you've played the longest with so not sure how much it would change things but would probably mess up some of the alliance gameplay.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Not a fan of Tyson. Good competitor, but I dunno...he rubs me the wrong way. He's all about "I'm the greatest ever". He cemented that opinion when I watched a show called "the challenge".

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If they really wanted to troll the Survivor contestants get a former survival expert from an actual survival show like Les Stroud of Survivorman or Cody Lundin from Dual Survival to host. Have them constantly tell the contestants they are doing it all wrong, lol. I am totally joking here but that would be funny as hell to mix in some real survivalist either as a host or even contestants.

HarryClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2021
If they really wanted to troll the Survivor contestants get a former survival expert from an actual survival show like Les Stroud of Survivorman or Cody Lundin from Dual Survival to host. Have them constantly tell the contestants they are doing it all wrong, lol. I am totally joking here but that would be funny as hell to mix in some real survivalist either as a host or even contestants.
I would love to see more survival skills brought back. It’s striking to go back and watch the early seasons with serious survival elements. Long walks for water they need to boil, hunting wildlife, building shelters that aren’t always just woven leaves, etc.

• Agree

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I would love to see more survival skills brought back. It’s striking to go back and watch the early seasons with serious survival elements. Long walks for water they need to boil, hunting wildlife, building shelters that aren’t always just woven leaves, etc.
I think we lost a lot of that when they decided to stay in Fiji permanently. It was cool watching castaways explore the new environments when they changed locations each season.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think we lost a lot of that when they decided to stay in Fiji permanently. It was cool watching castaways explore the new environments when they changed locations each season.

The first episode of Survivor Guatemala was a good one as they had to trek through the jungle on day 1 to find their camps and I believe they even had to camp out on night one because neither team reached their destination that day. It was a cool season too because they were basically living in the Mayan ruins too.

Unfortunately they've stuck with Fiji going forward not only because they have given the show some nice discounts to film there but the weather and environment is pretty consistent and predictable. I do think it adds to the difficultly as well as entertainment value if they would switch locations like they used to. The knock on the show recently has its become too predictable and repetitive and 1 way to shed that would be change up the location. I also miss the online content they used to have after someone was voted out that game you a behind the scenes look at what happens with the jury. It was called Survivor Ponderosa and they filmed their instant reaction to being voted out as well as getting a quick weight and medical check before joining the jury then getting a meal and the jury usually went on some kind of day trip the next day too. Was just a neat way to see what the jury does between tribals and how they discuss what happens.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
The first episode of Survivor Guatemala was a good one as they had to trek through the jungle on day 1 to find their camps and I believe they even had to camp out on night one because neither team reached their destination that day. It was a cool season too because they were basically living in the Mayan ruins too.

Unfortunately they've stuck with Fiji going forward not only because they have given the show some nice discounts to film there but the weather and environment is pretty consistent and predictable. I do think it adds to the difficultly as well as entertainment value if they would switch locations like they used to. The knock on the show recently has its become too predictable and repetitive and 1 way to shed that would be change up the location. I also miss the online content they used to have after someone was voted out that game you a behind the scenes look at what happens with the jury. It was called Survivor Ponderosa and they filmed their instant reaction to being voted out as well as getting a quick weight and medical check before joining the jury then getting a meal and the jury usually went on some kind of day trip the next day too. Was just a neat way to see what the jury does between tribals and how they discuss what happens.
I miss the ponderosa content also.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

I liked when they went different places as well.

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
Yeah I think deciding to stay in Fiji was the beginning of the downfall of survivor. I also don't like the rewards are just going to the survivor pergola instead of trips to help local villages or visiting natural wonders. Jeff has addressed this at times. He has said we like filming in Fiji because the government is easy to work with and the weather is good and "I like it on Fiji." He has flat out said as long as he is involved we are staying in Fiji.

What I get from that is, we hear you that you want to see different locations but we made a business decision based on economics and logistics. And quite frankly we just don't care what you the viewers want. You're going to watch anyway so shut up and take what you are given.

Past survivors including Boston Rob have been critical of the choice to stay in Fiji. Colby Donaldson was also critical of "rule" changes his last season. At the reunion Jeff said he didn't appear to be having fun anymore. Colby said well the sense of adventure is gone. In the past we used to explore. Ethan, Lex, and I would go cliff diving everyday. Now we're secluded to our beach and can't go anywhere more than wading in the reef. Jeff cut him off pretty fast. There is never much made about it anymore.

HarryClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2021
Yeah I think deciding to stay in Fiji was the beginning of the downfall of survivor. I also don't like the rewards are just going to the survivor pergola instead of trips to help local villages or visiting natural wonders. Jeff has addressed this at times. He has said we like filming in Fiji because the government is easy to work with and the weather is good and "I like it on Fiji." He has flat out said as long as he is involved we are staying in Fiji.
but, but, but... it's the sanctuary! where good things happen! Even just the short helicopter ride this season was a good departure.