NBA: T-Wolves Butler situation

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

LOL. How the hell is that going to work? "I hate and disrespect Thibs and KAT, so now we all hate and disrespect Thibs and KAT together, AS A TEAM."

What a cluster. Glen Taylor should take the best offer on the table for Butler, fire Thibs and his front office cronies, and start over.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think it is pretty telling that Fred Hoiberg - who had experience in the T-Wolves organization as both a player and in the front office - didn't jump at the chance to be their head coach when they were trying to fill the position. They wanted him badly but instead he signed an extension with ISU only to shortly become head coach for another NBA organization that has its own share of front office issues. If the Chicago Bulls organization is a more desirable situation that has to tell you something.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
This whole Butler thing has played out before, only before it was him and D. Wade. Bulls cut and run as should the Timberwolves this guy is a cancer.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I'm going to disagree a bit with the Tyus Jones thoughts. Yes, Minnesotans love their Minnesotans but I don't think there are many people here that think Tyus Jones is much more than a backup point guard and I don't think too many people would be upset if they traded him and got something back that was decent.

People may be worried that he could blow up like Bobby Jackson did when he left Minnesota but Tyus doesn't have the quickness or ability to create his own shot like Bobby Jackson did. Also, from what I understand, it was a big help to Jackson to get away from his "friends" in Minnesota. I don't think Jones has as many bad influences close to him.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm going to disagree a bit with the Tyus Jones thoughts. Yes, Minnesotans love their Minnesotans but I don't think there are many people here that think Tyus Jones is much more than a backup point guard and I don't think too many people would be upset if they traded him and got something back that was decent.

People may be worried that he could blow up like Bobby Jackson did when he left Minnesota but Tyus doesn't have the quickness or ability to create his own shot like Bobby Jackson did. Also, from what I understand, it was a big help to Jackson to get away from his "friends" in Minnesota. I don't think Jones has as many bad influences close to him.
But if he leaves who are the Lynx going to practice against?

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

My point by the Minnesotans loving Minnesotans is that he can be poor defensively and streaky offensively for the first year and a half of his career and people will still love him unconditionally. Where as if a the Wolves drafted a PG from Texas with their 24th pick, and he produced the exact same statistics people would not be as accepting of the results.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My point by the Minnesotans loving Minnesotans is that he can be poor defensively and streaky offensively for the first year and a half of his career and people will still love him unconditionally. Where as if a the Wolves drafted a PG from Texas with their 24th pick, and he produced the exact same statistics people would not be as accepting of the results.
Gotcha. There isn't much criticism of his game.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Would Thibs and MN front office be spiteful enough to sit Jimmy Butler?

Who knows at this point? It seems like the best thing to do after yesterday's performance is to take the best deal on the table and ship him out...you know, just tear the band-aid off and move on.

But their response today - canceling practice and media availability - was so weird. They can't keep doing that out of fear that he'll show up and embarass the other starters again. Either they're using today to finalize a deal or they're just buying some time to regroup and figure out what in the hell they're going to do.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
In more bizarre news, apparently Butler says he called a team meeting and told the players he doesn't have a problem with the players just the management but Jeff Teague says that didn't happen.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
In more bizarre news, apparently Butler says he called a team meeting and told the players he doesn't have a problem with the players just the management but Jeff Teague says that didn't happen.

Yeah, today's media session after practice should be entertaining. The circus rolls on.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Why have the Wolves not just gotten rid of him at this point?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Why have the Wolves not just gotten rid of him at this point?

Because Thibs doesn't want to. Report from someone covering the Heat is that Riley called Thibs a mutherf'er because a deal was in place and they were exchanging medicals for the players and Thibs called up and said he changed his mind and wanted more.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Good point.

In fact, Lindsey Whalen is one that MN fans are way too infatuated with. If Tyus Jones were to leave, most Minnesota fans would be OK with signing her as the Wolves backup point guard.

I thought it was Mauer they love so much. Maybe the Timberwolves are his next gig? He been just a slightly better than average player since his mid-twenties but they all think he is going into the Hall of Fame. At least Whalen has a Final Four and slew of pro championships.

Actually people thinking they are hanging on to Jones cause he's Minnesotan seems kinda funny to me. Maybe, if he had played for the Gophers or something but he is not exactly a household name to casual fans. He doesn't exactly have a cult following or anything. He's just another dude.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Because Thibs doesn't want to. Report from someone covering the Heat is that Riley called Thibs a mutherf'er because a deal was in place and they were exchanging medicals for the players and Thibs called up and said he changed his mind and wanted more.

I'd swear that Thibs, who was supposed to the Franchise Savior in Chief, is a sleeper cell guy intent on burning it down to the ground just when people were getting interested again.

Reactions: rholtgraves