Tennessee judge grants injunction against the NCAA (NIL related)

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Hadn't seen this posted anywhere yet, but it's a pretty big deal.

Effectively the ruling prevents the NCAA from banning third parties from paying athletes to attend a particular school.

It's a temporary injunction, but the judge was pretty clear in saying that the NCAA's policy most likely violates antitrust laws.

"While maintaining competitive balance in college sports is “a legitimate and important endeavor,” spreading competition evenly across the member institutions by restraining trade is precisely the type of anticompetitive conduct the Sherman Act seeks to prevent."

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Practically I'm not sure it changes much since we basically had pay for play already under the guise of NIL from the collectives. This just allows them to do away with the pretense it's not pay for play.

Reactions: legi

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Hadn't seen this posted anywhere yet, but it's a pretty big deal.

Effectively the ruling prevents the NCAA from banning third parties from paying athletes to attend a particular school.

It's a temporary injunction, but the judge was pretty clear in saying that the NCAA's policy most likely violates antitrust laws.

"While maintaining competitive balance in college sports is “a legitimate and important endeavor,” spreading competition evenly across the member institutions by restraining trade is precisely the type of anticompetitive conduct the Sherman Act seeks to prevent."

i thought the NCAA was exempt from antitrust laws. And that’s what congress always threatened to remove when schools got left out of power conferences.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Practically I'm not sure it changes much since we basically had pay for play already under the guise of NIL from the collectives. This just allows them to do away with the pretense it's not pay for play.
True, but I still say it's significant, because NIL collectives sort of sprung up as a gray area after the NCAA issued their initial stance allowing NIL. Their status within the NCAA rules hadn't really been tested, and I think everyone knew it would end up in court if/when the league tried to enforce their rules on them. Certainly, NIL collectives were already offering pay for play, unofficially, but should the final ruling uphold the injunction, it's another "emperor has no clothes" moment for the NCAA.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
i thought the NCAA was exempt from antitrust laws. And that’s what congress always threatened to remove when schools got left out of power conferences.
No. They aren't. They're asking Congress for an exemption, but it's a long shot at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
good bye college sports

Pretty much. Only way I see it being saved is with unionization and collective bargaining. It’s going to be free agency all the time. Don’t even need to wait to the offseason. If your team isn’t going to make the tournament, transfer to one that will in January. The NCAA can’t stop you from playing, that’d be anti-competitive.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Aren't you guys tired of saying this after every court ruling over the last couple of years?

It'll stop being said when it stops being true. And the more decisions like this we see, the more gas gets put on it.

The destruction doesn't happen in a day. There's a lot of inertia involved. But its clear what the end effect of this will be and things are already visibly moving in that direction.

Anyone saying otherwise is just living in denial. Of course, that's nothing new. A lot of us warned about the effects of NIL and we were assured we were just overreacting, even though all those predictions came true.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
But its clear what the end effect of this will be and things are already visibly moving in that direction.
Please, enlighten me Mr. "dumb button". What are these disastrous consequences? None of them have manifested themselves yet despite assurances they will for years now. I figured you would have given up on college sports now since it's destruction is so certain. Why are you wasting your time?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
It's not going to be very fun trying to run a legitimate sports league that doesn't have any kind of oversight. States might as well sue over eligibility requirements, rule changes or blown calls, entire outcomes of games. The NCAA has no ability remaining to be any form of legislative body for their own sports. They've lost every time it's questioned.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
It'll stop being said when it stops being true. And the more decisions like this we see, the more gas gets put on it.

The destruction doesn't happen in a day. There's a lot of inertia involved. But its clear what the end effect of this will be and things are already visibly moving in that direction.

Anyone saying otherwise is just living in denial. Of course, that's nothing new. A lot of us warned about the effects of NIL and we were assured we were just overreacting, even though all those predictions came true.

Another semi warm take from dumb button guy.

• Winner
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Please, enlighten me Mr. "dumb button". What are these disastrous consequences? None of them have manifested themselves yet despite assurances they will for years now. I figured you would have given up on college sports now since it's destruction is so certain. Why are you wasting your time?
Dude don’t you remember when hunter left for NIL and it meant the end of ISU basketball because they couldn’t compete in the NIL era? I mean that’s the reason you guys suck this year and will never get into the tourney again.

Oh wait your team is amazing, is gonna get a top seed and have a real final four shot. My bad I got confused when I thought NIL was the end of college sports.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Dude don’t you remember when hunter left for NIL and it meant the end of ISU basketball because they couldn’t compete in the NIL era? I mean that’s the reason you guys suck this year and will never get into the tourney again.

Oh wait your team is amazing, is gonna get a top seed and have a real final four shot. My bad I got confused when I thought NIL was the end of college sports.

People shaking their fists are the ones worried about college sports. They will go on with or without the NCAA.

• Agree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

This take is like someone looking at a team getting a 3 star that overperforms and going 'see, stars don't mean anything'.

• Dumb
  • Agree
Reactions: Lineup and CyCrazy