Tennessee judge grants injunction against the NCAA (NIL related)

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
But how does that change ISU’s current position? This is kinda my point where you’re just saying the quiet part out loud but ISU isn’t competing with the SEC for players and you never really have been (neither has sparty for the record, Michigan is different).

Vanderbilt is 12 spots higher on the 247 recruiting rankings than ISU and they are the lowest ranked SEC team. This is before huge media deals or paying players in this future your thinking of. So what changes in your scenario that hasn’t always been the same? It’s just shining a brighter light on the lack of parity that has always existed in cfb
ISU typically doesn't compete much with SEC schools. Mizzou might be the exception. But I hope we are currently competing extensively with Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Illinois and Purdue for recruits. Not only in their home state areas, but also in recruiting hotbeds like Texas and Florida.

In the future, if the Big10 & SEC control a much bigger share of TV money. Then second tier Big10/SEC teams will have have significantly increased their advantage over Big12 and ACC schools. Sure today, Big10 and SEC schools make more money off their conference TV deals. But with the 4 team playoff, all P5 schools get the same share of the $500M rights money, around $7M annually.

But what happens with the 12 or 16 team playoff where TV rights money is between $1.5B-$2.0B and the Big10 & SEC demand 75% of that money? That incremental CFP money becomes a big advantage for 2nd tier Big10/SEC schools in recruiting. Whether the environment is NIL Collectives or CBA. If a 3 star kid can make $300K going to Iowa/Minnesota/Mizzou or $50k going to Iowa State, where do you think he goes?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Congress should amend the law to give a blanket antitrust exemption to competitive sports leagues. The health of the leagues depend on the teams being able to cooperate to maintain competitive balance and maintain revenues. In the case of the NCAA, universities shouldn't be forced to field professional sports teams.
Congress will never do anything or should they. There are a lot more important issues for them to tackle.

Competitive balance can happen if athletes are employees and a CBA is negotiated. Then every school under the agreement abides by the same work rules: pay structure and benefits.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Congress will never do anything or should they. There are a lot more important issues for them to tackle.

Competitive balance can happen if athletes are employees and a CBA is negotiated. Then every school under the agreement abides by the same work rules: pay structure and benefits.
I agree, but I'm just not sure I see it happening. Not without a significant breakup of participating schools. I hope it doesn't go to a Power 2 scenario, for personal reasons, but I definitely can't see a path forward to what you describe with all of the current FBS schools. Lesser conferences like the MAC, Sunbelt, and Mountain West will almost certainly not get a seat at the table.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
ISU typically doesn't compete much with SEC schools. Mizzou might be the exception. But I hope we are currently competing extensively with Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Illinois and Purdue for recruits. Not only in their home state areas, but also in recruiting hotbeds like Texas and Florida.

In the future, if the Big10 & SEC control a much bigger share of TV money. Then second tier Big10/SEC teams will have have significantly increased their advantage over Big12 and ACC schools. Sure today, Big10 and SEC schools make more money off their conference TV deals. But with the 4 team playoff, all P5 schools get the same share of the $500M rights money, around $7M annually.

But what happens with the 12 or 16 team playoff where TV rights money is between $1.5B-$2.0B and the Big10 & SEC demand 75% of that money? That incremental CFP money becomes a big advantage for 2nd tier Big10/SEC schools in recruiting. Whether the environment is NIL Collectives or CBA. If a 3 star kid can make $300K going to Iowa/Minnesota/Mizzou or $50k going to Iowa State, where do you think he goes?
Nothing changes, because that’s not happening right now. Your 2024 class’s top three players don’t have a single offer from the SEC or Big 10. I didn’t go further than that.

The thing is unless scholarship limits change there are only so many spots so ISU is going to get the same to similar guys they always have gotten and ISU has done an amazing job turning those guys into elite NFL players in a way those big ten schools haven’t. More money to those other programs isn’t going to change that and neither is NIL. It’s the same way for sparty although without anywhere near the recent NFL success ISU has had.

Now will you lose a potential break out player to someone offering a big NIL deal? Yeah probably. But that happens to the big programs too. Penn State lost their star WR to USC, OSU has had QB’s transfer, it happens to everyone.

I would love to see an NIL limit for transfers but that just isn’t gonna happen.

Again realistically very little changes despite what everyone thinks.

• Optimistic
Reactions: tzjung

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The NCAA is pausing all NIL investigations pending the outcome of the Tennessee judgement.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield

Dumb me says take what we give you. Unless there are other willing players.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron