Tennessee judge grants injunction against the NCAA (NIL related)

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It'll stop being said when it stops being true. And the more decisions like this we see, the more gas gets put on it.

The destruction doesn't happen in a day. There's a lot of inertia involved. But its clear what the end effect of this will be and things are already visibly moving in that direction.

Anyone saying otherwise is just living in denial. Of course, that's nothing new. A lot of us warned about the effects of NIL and we were assured we were just overreacting, even though all those predictions came true.
You are mistaking disbelief in the effects of NIL vs. not caring about those effects.

Myth: I don't think NIL will cause players to leave smaller schools and go to larger ones with more money.

Actual opinion: Players should be able to seek whatever they see as the best position for them. If that's a place that's offering the most money, ok. If that's the place where they can get more playing time, okay. It's their choice. If a school can't offer the same compensation, tough ****.

Myth: I think the idea that NIL deals will be used to entice players to go to certain schools is overstated. Pay for Play won't happen much.

Actual opinion: Schools should fully compete to attract players. And payment should be part of that competition. You might call it "Pay for Play". I call it labor in exchange for compensation, and that's how the world works. The NCAA doesn't get to be exempt from that, just because they don't like it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
True, but I still say it's significant, because NIL collectives sort of sprung up as a gray area after the NCAA issued their initial stance allowing NIL. Their status within the NCAA rules hadn't really been tested, and I think everyone knew it would end up in court if/when the league tried to enforce their rules on them. Certainly, NIL collectives were already offering pay for play, unofficially, but should the final ruling uphold the injunction, it's another "emperor has no clothes" moment for the NCAA.

I can't come up with a solution short of employee status for student-athletes. Schools with the wealthiest boosters benefit from lack of NIL transparency and regulation in recruiting and portal free agents. But even in the Big10 & SEC- the vast majority of schools will want a fairly level playing field so that they can be competitive. But maybe I am underestimating the complimentary Big10/SEC schools. Maybe Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota's are willing to be the Washington Generals for the Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan and USC's of college football.

It's easy to fault the NCAA as a governance entity, but the NCAA only exists because conferences and their schools created it and continue to support it because of its faults/lack of legal authority. NIL is only the latest issue where schools that like to push-the-envelop benefit from a weak, rudderless NCAA.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I can't come up with a solution short of employee status for student-athletes. Schools with the wealthiest boosters benefit from lack of NIL transparency and regulation in recruiting and portal free agents. But even in the Big10 & SEC- the vast majority of schools will want a fairly level playing field so that they can be competitive. But maybe I am underestimating the complimentary Big10/SEC schools. Maybe Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota's are willing to be the Washington Generals for the Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan and USC's of college football.

It's easy to fault the NCAA as a governance entity, but the NCAA only exists because conferences and their schools created it and continue to support it because of its faults/lack of legal authority. NIL is only the latest issue where schools that like to push-the-envelop benefit from a weak, rudderless NCAA.
NIL and sports go as conferences and the next round of TV deals go. The more money that goes to a smaller group of privileged schools, the less parity and overall quality of product there will be...outside of the in-group, that is.

The big picture takes a lot of time and small movements to implement. The glass won't break overnight, but the spiderweb of cracks will continue to slowly grow until the whole thing shatters.

As for immediate effects, I figure the next step is going after eligibility requirements and scholarship limits. No more 5 to play 4 and no more 85 scholly limit -- just do whatever with whoever.

• Sad
Reactions: NWICY

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
NIL and sports go as conferences and the next round of TV deals go. The more money that goes to a smaller group of privileged schools, the less parity and overall quality of product there will be...outside of the in-group, that is.

The big picture takes a lot of time and small movements to implement. The glass won't break overnight, but the spiderweb of cracks will continue to slowly grow until the whole thing shatters.

As for immediate effects, I figure the next step is going after eligibility requirements and scholarship limits. No more 5 to play 4 and no more 85 scholly limit -- just do whatever with whoever.
The thing is that parody never existed. That’s why this isn’t the end of the world because nothing is actually changing. The same schools that have legit chances to play for a title will be the same as they have been for years.

You realize ISU now has a better chance to win the Big12 and get into the playoffs than before right? The only time “parity” would matter would be the one game a year teams play another P4 out of conference and the playoffs where there has never ever been parity

• Disagree
Reactions: alarson

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Honestly the 5 year clock going away doesn't bother me.

If someone enrolls in college at 18, decides they're not ready for school, and then comes back in a couple years they can play well enough to get on a team, why not let them have their full 4 years of eligibility?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The thing is that parody never existed. That’s why this isn’t the end of the world because nothing is actually changing. The same schools that have legit chances to play for a title will be the same as they have been for years.

You realize ISU now has a better chance to win the Big12 and get into the playoffs than before right? The only time “parity” would matter would be the one game a year teams play another P4 out of conference and the playoffs where there has never ever been parity

You act like parity is an on\off switch.

It exists in degrees, and NIL and realignment both turn it up to 11.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

There was some parity, I view it as a sliding scale over time. ISU history notwithstanding. Most years have their typical strong programs, with a small mix of surprise visitors towards the top of the ranks and in high-profile postseason games. Future changes to conferences and media money is likely to grow the rift between the haves and have-nots as time goes on.

I don't care much for the Big 12 long term. It's merely invited to the party for now. Easy for your lot to say all of this when you've never had to worry about being left behind. We've gone through this 3 or 4 times now, never being grandfathered into the future P2 like you are.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
There was some parity, I view it as a sliding scale over time. ISU history notwithstanding. Most years have their typical strong programs, with a small mix of surprise visitors towards the top of the ranks and in high-profile postseason games. Future changes to conferences and media money is likely to grow the rift between the haves and have-nots as time goes on.

I don't care much for the Big 12 long term. It's merely invited to the party for now. Easy for your lot to say all of this when you've never had to worry about being left behind. We've gone through this 3 or 4 times now, never being grandfathered into the future P2 like you are.
I just don’t see a future where the Big12 is cut out but I get your point on that and you’re right.

I don’t think there has been as much parity as you think but that could just be a perception thing.

Reactions: MeowingCows

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Honestly the 5 year clock going away doesn't bother me.

If someone enrolls in college at 18, decides they're not ready for school, and then comes back in a couple years they can play well enough to get on a team, why not let them have their full 4 years of eligibility?
Agree. I was more referring to people who are hypothetically going to play 6, 7, 8 years, making it even harder for those 18 year olds to come in and crack depth charts.

Reactions: royalcy

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I just don’t see a future where the Big12 is cut out but I get your point on that and you’re right.

I don’t think there has been as much parity as you think but that could just be a perception thing.
You act like the Big 12 wasn't already cast off as dead years ago when OUT announced leaving. Sports media repeated it ad nauseum. Been hearing it over and over and over again this entire time. It's not gonna stop now, either. Just wait until next year's Big 12 champion loses their first playoff game, or just generally doesn't get as far as everyone else expects for them to not make quips about being a poverty league.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Agree. I was more referring to people who are hypothetically going to play 6, 7, 8 years, making it even harder for those 18 year olds to come in and crack depth charts.

Yeah, that wouldnt be great.

Honestly i think giving everyone an extra covid year may have been a mistake for similar reasons. Made sense for upperclassmen, i don't know about for everyone else.

Reactions: MeowingCows

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Yeah, that wouldnt be great.

Honestly i think giving everyone an extra covid year may have been a mistake for similar reasons. Made sense for upperclassmen, i don't know about for everyone else.
I tend to agree, but we didn't know that at the time. Hindsight cleared some of that up. We thought it was doing the right thing back then.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Thinking more on this, we could possibly see a similar effect getting rid of the 5 year clock with some players who opt to go pro.

Imagine a good number of players that left after 1-2-3 years might find that at a certain point in their career there's more money coming back to school for a year for an NIL paycheck

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You act like the Big 12 wasn't already cast off as dead years ago when OUT announced leaving. Sports media repeated it ad nauseum. Been hearing it over and over and over again this entire time. It's not gonna stop now, either. Just wait until next year's Big 12 champion loses their first playoff game, or just generally doesn't get as far as everyone else expects for them to not make quips about being a poverty league.
There is media and reality. Those same media people were talking about the strength of the PAC and how they were gonna get a deal done. Now which conference is alive and which is dead?

I can’t relate to the feeling having not gone through it but I do understand the concern but I just don’t see that world. I’ve been pretty firm on that point but I get the fear of exclusion.

Also 100% going to be talking heads talking ****. They already started and it won’t stop until someone makes some noise. That’s just the way it is.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
There is media and reality. Those same media people were talking about the strength of the PAC and how they were gonna get a deal done. Now which conference is alive and which is dead?

I can’t relate to the feeling having not gone through it but I do understand the concern but I just don’t see that world. I’ve been pretty firm on that point but I get the fear of exclusion.

Also 100% going to be talking heads talking ****. They already started and it won’t stop until someone makes some noise. That’s just the way it is.
Remind us all here which conference blew up the big hitters in the PAC? Who's still getting left out from them now? Ah, right -- two schools very similar to ISU culturally/positionally.

There's very little strength and unity outside of the P2, regardless of what those members say. They all see the writing on the wall and will jump at any opportunity. All else is just buying time. If it wasn't and there was real unity, the PAC would still be standing....ignoring multiple awful conference commissioners, that is.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Remind us all here which conference blew up the big hitters in the PAC?

There's very little strength and unity outside of the P2, regardless of what those members say. They all see the writing on the wall and will jump at any opportunity. All else is just buying time. If it wasn't and there was real unity, the PAC would still be standing....ignoring multiple awful conference commissioners, that is.
Well outside the P2 there is the Big12 which I feel is fairly unified outside of Utah, and the ACC which hasn’t been unified in a long time. I also never mentioned unity but yeah the PAC has no one to blame except themselves for how they conducted business

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Agree parity doesn't exist and has never existed when it comes to how many schools can consistently be top 10 teams. I don't feel most college sport fans are bothered by some teams being blue bloods and having more & better resources. But fans want to feel their team is on a level playing field with 80%+ of teams in P5/P4. It's OK if there are built in advantages for a few schools like Ohio State, Texas, A&M, Florida, etc. because then there is the whole David & Goliath thing. But if the divide becomes too big financially with a bigger pool of schools, then fans will lose interest. And moves by the Big10 and SEC to ask for 8 guaranteed Playoff spots reeks of entitlement vs. earning it on the field.

Also it feels like the Big10 and SEC are relegating the Big12 & ACC. And telling fans of Big12 & ACC schools we should feel great because our conferences will still get a total of 2-3 charity playoff bids. Really not much different than being G5 historically.