Texas eyes a conundrum ...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm curious. Did Texas fans know about the history of the song and just not care? Or did they just enjoy the song without thinking about it for years?

And is it possible for the meaning of a song to change from its origin? This seems to have happened with all sorts of other songs. For example, YMCA is just about the last song I would want my young, athletic child to be singing if I cared about its origins, but that song seems to have moved into the "just a fun song" category.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The Longhorn band's exception to the song is not surprising. This is a generational 'thing.'

I've talked to parents of recent (ISU) grads here at the lake who are so frustrated with their son's take on cultural issues that it's maddening.

Families are to the point that they can't even address matters which were commonplace in years gone-by like marriage, politics, religion, and the like.

We're in a new place for much of America.

• Creative
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
This is a post from the Texas 247 board.

beldar
Posted on 7 hrs, , User Since 117 months ago, User Post Count: 2,293
  • 7 hrs
  • 117 months
I am with you on wanting Blacks to be treated fairly in all forms of life. I was dumb enough to think we were getting there. I was wrong on that but we need to keep on trying. But, going after the Eyes of Texas, a song that is almost sacred to millions of Longhorn fans is going too far in my opinion. The Eyes has been sung at more funerals of Horn fans than Amazing Grace. The attempt to do away with the Eyes will divide our fan base beyond repair I fear. I have loved the Horns for 65 years. I think this thing is going to destroy the program. I don't think even Urban can fix this mess and would be stupid to try. Sure hope i am wrong . Hook Em

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The Longhorn band's exception to the song is not surprising. This is a generational 'thing.'

I've talked to parents of recent (ISU) grads here at the lake who are so frustrated with their son's take on cultural issues that it's maddening.

Families are to the point that they can't even address matters which were commonplace in years gone-by like marriage, politics, religion, and the like.

Philip K. **** called this "future shock."

Human society and technology are advancing so rapidly that people feel alienated from the world even within their own lifetimes. Unlike basically every other generation in human history save for the last few, the world that you will live your adulthood and later life in is very different from the world that you grew up in.

If it makes you feel better, it'll happen to kids these days, too.

I think Grandpa Simpson summarized it best --

1603391666743.png

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Human society and technology are advancing so rapidly that people feel alienated from the world even within their own lifetimes

Technology is certainly advancing rapidly. However, to say society is "advancing" would be subject to much disagreement, methinks. Granted, society is changing rapidly. This "Eyes of Texas" controversy is a symptom of that; a cause for much angst.

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not relevant but a rant I must express, and not worthy of starting a thread. Why do some schools change a mascot name for girl's or women's sports when the original name is not gender specific?

For example, why does Dallas Center Grimes call the boys teams Mustangs and the girls teams Fillies? Mustangs are both genders, idiots.

I thought there was some other HS that has Indians (whole other topic there) and calls or used to call the girls teams Maidens.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Like this?
maxresdefault.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

No reason for me to pay for that indoctrination. Hence, just another problem for "higher" education.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
This is a post from the Texas 247 board.

beldar
Posted on 7 hrs, , User Since 117 months ago, User Post Count: 2,293
  • 7 hrs
  • 117 months

I am with you on wanting Blacks to be treated fairly in all forms of life. I was dumb enough to think we were getting there. I was wrong on that but we need to keep on trying. But, going after the Eyes of Texas, a song that is almost sacred to millions of Longhorn fans is going too far in my opinion. The Eyes has been sung at more funerals of Horn fans than Amazing Grace. The attempt to do away with the Eyes will divide our fan base beyond repair I fear. I have loved the Horns for 65 years. I think this thing is going to destroy the program. I don't think even Urban can fix this mess and would be stupid to try. Sure hope i am wrong . Hook Em

The attempt to do away with Blank will divide our Society beyond repair I fear.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I believe there are real issues for universities attempting to keep funding up from successful families while at the same time taking issue with their cultural values. I know some of yours, actually worked with Richard Matzke at Chevron.

But at K-State you're talking about the former CEO of the BNSF, Bain Capital, Shamrock Trading, farmers, oil interests, and ranchers across the state. Not exactly the pinnacle of wokeness.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Funny how when it is one of your traditions being called out for sexism -- and "loyal sons" and only "loyal sons" is sexist by a plain reading of the text, like it or not -- you find all sorts of excuses.

Is it a pretty minor thing? Yes.

Was there exclusionary intent when it was written? Likely not.

Do most people care? No, but most people don't care about this stuff generally.

Should it be changed? Open question. I have not (yet) advocated that it should. But even if it were to be, it would only take modifying one word. It is not like we would need to junk it.

The song is from the 1930s. There are not a lot of things from the 1930s that will not pose some problem to modern morality and ethics when you are willing to turn over all stones.

I'm watching Craiglist for free puppies ;).

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I’ve never heard of Texas Takes before so I have no idea how credible this is. According to this guy he spoke to a booster who was contacted by the Texas AD about buying out Herman.
He claims Urban has agreed to be the next coach.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron