That game was fixed

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
I have been viewing these forums for a few seasons, and posting for just a fraction of one, but there is one thing i cam say for certain. No fanbase in America understands the rule book or officiating less than ours. That last PI non call was 100% correct. Have I seen that incorrectly ruled PI in the past? Yes. Did the officials get it right here? Yes. The defender had excellent position and clearly turned his head and made a play on the football.

This is 100% incorrect.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I like and respect Jeff Woody. I understand why he's talking people away from the "fix" talk in the post game call in show, but really it's tough to see this game as anything else. I know that "you don't win or lose a game in one play" but when you have a culmination of terrible calls with seemingly nothing going against the opponent, what are we as fans supposed to think?

I feel like Mizzou fans must have felt when McCarney was gifted the last game at home in 2006.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby and aauummm

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Curious. Has a team ever had 3 flags picked up against them in a game?

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
It's almost amusing, the screw jobs are so bad that the Big 12 doesn't even try to hide it anymore. They just don't give a damn. I feel sick for the players that should have won that. I can't understand how this goes on and on and on. That game was fixed, plain and simple folks.

Sep 5, 2017
Omaha
I have been viewing these forums for a few seasons, and posting for just a fraction of one, but there is one thing i cam say for certain. No fanbase in America understands the rule book or officiating less than ours. That last PI non call was 100% correct. Have I seen that incorrectly ruled PI in the past? Yes. Did the officials get it right here? Yes. The defender had excellent position and clearly turned his head and made a play on the football.

How is the weather in Iowa City????????

• Funny
Reactions: Zyklon and CyBobby

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Even with the bad officiating we probably still win if we run twice, that is what actually bothers me more than the officiating. We have a slim margin and that includes coaching. If we hadn't gone for two instead of kneeling they would have had to kick too. This one, sad to say, is on the staff.

How many times have we run the ball in the past and people complain we were too conservative and lost the game. I'm a run first kind of guy myself, but there is validity to trying to throw for a first down.

abrand

Apr 20, 2006

Based on the pass interference rule from the NCAA Rules and Interpretations Manual from page FR-77 that reads:

"Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass. When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable. Defensive pass interference occurs only after a legal forward pass is thrown (A. R. 7-3-8-VII, VIII, XI and XII).

It is not defensive pass interference (A.R. 7-3-8-III and 7-3-9-III):
1. When, after the snap, opposing players immediately charge and establish contact with opponents at a point that is within one yard beyond the neutral zone.
2. When two or more eligible players are making a simultaneous and bona fide attempt to reach, catch or bat the pass. Eligible players of either team have equal rights to the ball (A.R. 7-3-8-IX). FR-78 RULE 7 / SNAPPING AND PASSING THE BALL
3. When a Team B player legally contacts an opponent before the pass is thrown (A.R. 7-3-8-III and X). 4. When there is contact by a Team B player that otherwise would be pass interference during a down in which a Team A potential kicker, from a scrimmage kick formation, simulates a scrimmage kick by throwing the ball high and deep."

I wholeheartedly disagree. They were beyond 1 yard past the the neutral zone, there was no play on the ball by the defender, and turning your head does not make it legal to bear hug the offensive player.

Walt Anderson needs to go **** himself and leave the Big 12 so we can get a competent Coordinator of Football Officials who is a little less biased who isn't a pu$$y and will actually make his officials call a game properly.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
No doubt the Big 12 made a call to this crew, that is obvious and beyond dispute. There were also some horrific play calls that would have avoided all this, some really good ones as well, but the pass on 2nd and 6 just can't happen. Need a lot of improvement from everyone in late game situations.

• Agree
Reactions: BigD and CyBobby

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yeah that one was total BS, Lazard was trying to run a pattern and two guys crashed into him.
I'm pretty sure he was trying to run a pick, but he still has the right to run to a spot plus contact occurred before the ball was in the air. So bad call yes, but I do think it was a pick play.
Sad thing is with all the game extending picked up flags that call doesn't even stand out, especially since that was followed by the great connection to Butler.

clonefan841

Oct 30, 2017
This is a good team but far from the best team ISU has ever had. Next year's team should be better.
lol well I'm not counting next year, it hasn't happened yet. I actually do think we will be better next year, even after losing Lazard, although a little concerned on the secondary. But I hope to god you are right about that.

As far as best team ever in terms of years past, I stand by it, at least since I started following in the mid 90s. Even the 9-3 team lead by Sage I think this team had that beat, I saw much better defense here, and we still were so outmatched by the best of the nation that resided in our conference. This year was the first time in my life I watched us play top 5 teams and said "you know what, we match up with these guys quite well.", and that alone will always convince me that this year was the best I've seen wearing pads.