The “We Will” Collective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Beyond who is setting this up, I am curious how these things will run. How do they determine who to pay and how much to pay? Do they have like a board of directors that will sit down with TJ and CMC and negotiate player offers for the next year? I know they are entities outside the school, but ultimately it is the coaches who are identifying who they want to recruit and retain.

What will the administration costs be?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Beyond who is setting this up, I am curious how these things will run. How do they determine who to pay and how much to pay? Do they have like a board of directors that will sit down with TJ and CMC and negotiate player offers for the next year? I know they are entities outside the school, but ultimately it is the coaches who are identifying who they want to recruit and retain.
If it goes like KSU or Florida you have three options as a donor:

Specific Player
Specific Team
General Fund which doles it out based on a board of directors (former alumni).

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Here's an abbreviated version (snippets) of something I posted a few days ago after working with somebody involved in the process. Big disclaimer that these were his early projections with not a lot of precedent to go off of and could end up wildly different.
  • Small Tier Donors = 1,000 donors at average of $200 per year
  • Mid Tier Donors = 25 donors at average of $5,000 per year
  • High Tier Donors = 5-8 donors at average of $25,000 per year
  • Max Donors = 2 donors at $100,000 per year
Total collective amount = 500K to 600K per year
Direct NIL donations = 200K to 500K per year
Based on people he’s talked to at Michigan State, Minnesota, Illinois, Kansas State, Kansas, Northwestern, and Iowa, our projected collective amount (plus high dollar one offs) would be less than half of just the minimum collective projections of any of those competitors (many haven't found the need yet for a collective based on high-roller donors being more than enough). Then, each of those schools has high-roller donors that would cumulatively donate directly at roughly $1.5 to $5 million annually. (Iowa being on the low end of that group)
For context, he’s seeing NIL figures ranging from 50-200K for a mid 3-star recruit to 750K for a mid 4-star recruit, and over 1-1.5mil for a 5-star recruit in the transfer portal. Football is heating up to the point that anybody in the Top 150-350 is demanding 75K to 125K or more, with Top 100 to 150 now reaching 500K right out of HS.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Here's an abbreviated version (snippets) of something I posted a few days ago after working with somebody involved in the process. Big disclaimer that these were his early projections with not a lot of precedent to go off of and could end up wildly different.
Based on people he’s talked to at Michigan State, Minnesota, Illinois, Kansas State, Kansas, Northwestern, and Iowa, our projected collective amount (plus high dollar one offs) would be less than half of just the minimum collective projections of any of those competitors (many haven't found the need yet for a collective based on high-roller donors being more than enough). Then, each of those schools has high-roller donors that would cumulatively donate directly at roughly $1.5 to $5 million annually.
For context, he’s seeing NIL figures ranging from 50-200K for a mid 3-star recruit to 750K for a mid 4-star recruit, and over 1-1.5mil for a 5-star recruit in the transfer portal. Football is heating up to the point that anybody in the Top 150-350 is demanding 75K to 125K or more, with Top 100 to 150 now reaching 500K right out of HS.
Damn, how does a 52 year old out of shape dude get 4 stars?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Based on people he’s talked to at Michigan State, Minnesota, Illinois, Kansas State, Kansas, Northwestern, and Iowa, our projected collective amount (plus high dollar one offs) would be less than half of just the minimum collective projections of any of those competitors (many haven't found the need yet for a collective based on high-roller donors being more than enough). Then, each of those schools has high-roller donors that would cumulatively donate directly at roughly $1.5 to $5 million annually. (Iowa being on the low end of that group)
This was always gonna be a very uphill battle for a school with as weak of a donor base as ours.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and hlb76

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Just casually tried to test the interest in mrs cyfan92 in throwing our money into NIL.

She was mad I asked... I believe her quote was "you want to pay 18 year old's with our money... I'd rather our money be given to hungry children"

Looks like I'm out fam..

Shabazz Napier would like a word about being hungry

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
If those numbers are anywhere close to accurate, I'm out. It was fun while it lasted. 130 years is a pretty good run. This is about as far from Jack Trice as one can get.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Shabazz Napier would like a word about being hungry

I lived with a track student athlete in the early 2010's.. His family was poorer than poor and he was WELL taken care of thru stipend and food allowances.. That story was the biggest farce in the world and also not a problem in 2022 with current NCAA guidelines

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I'm with you but explain to me who the high roller donors are at Kansas State? They are not brimming with state of the art facilities in Manhattan, KS. And Northwestern likely has wealthy alums but they have never dumped cash into their AD. To say we are at half of Kansas State seems absurd.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
maybe some heavyweight will front load the collective with $5 Mil or something. I saw in the twitter comments that there is some thought it could be tax deductible in some fashion (filtering through charities, who then hire the athletes to promote). If that is actually feasible, I could justify (with my wife) making annual donations to this.

Reactions: agentbear

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Just casually tried to test the interest in mrs cyfan92 in throwing our money into NIL.

She was mad I asked... I believe her quote was "you want to pay 18 year old's with our money... I'd rather our money be given to hungry children"

Looks like I'm out fam..

Your wife isn't wrong, but that logic could be applied to 90% of the things people buy. Tell her that, I'm sure she'll come around.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If those numbers are anywhere close to accurate, I'm out. It was fun while it lasted. 130 years is a pretty good run. This is about as far from Jack Trice as one can get.

I don't see a huge distinction between putting $200 to the AD vs putting $200 to this fund. 6 of 1, as they say.

I don't love it either, and I am not sure I will donate, or even continue in the NCC or buying season tix. But that has more to do with my sports interest waning as I age, than another $200 annual. Every year I care a little less about sports in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron