The “We Will” Collective

Status
Not open for further replies.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
maybe some heavyweight will front load the collective with $5 Mil or something. I saw in the twitter comments that there is some thought it could be tax deductible in some fashion (filtering through charities, who then hire the athletes to promote). If that is actually feasible, I could justify (with my wife) making annual donations to this.

If it is set up as a 501c(3) contributions will be deductible.

or when doing your taxes just tell your accountant you gave $XX in charitable contributions, they don't need to know the details ;)

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Here's an abbreviated version (snippets) of something I posted a few days ago after working with somebody involved in the process. Big disclaimer that these were his early projections with not a lot of precedent to go off of and could end up wildly different.
  • Small Tier Donors = 1,000 donors at average of $200 per year
  • Mid Tier Donors = 25 donors at average of $5,000 per year
  • High Tier Donors = 5-8 donors at average of $25,000 per year
  • Max Donors = 2 donors at $100,000 per year
Total collective amount = 500K to 600K per year
Direct NIL donations = 200K to 500K per year
Based on people he’s talked to at Michigan State, Minnesota, Illinois, Kansas State, Kansas, Northwestern, and Iowa, our projected collective amount (plus high dollar one offs) would be less than half of just the minimum collective projections of any of those competitors (many haven't found the need yet for a collective based on high-roller donors being more than enough). Then, each of those schools has high-roller donors that would cumulatively donate directly at roughly $1.5 to $5 million annually. (Iowa being on the low end of that group)
For context, he’s seeing NIL figures ranging from 50-200K for a mid 3-star recruit to 750K for a mid 4-star recruit, and over 1-1.5mil for a 5-star recruit in the transfer portal. Football is heating up to the point that anybody in the Top 150-350 is demanding 75K to 125K or more, with Top 100 to 150 now reaching 500K right out of HS.

$200 buys me 1 racing tire
$5000 buys me a new set of racing shocks
$25000 buys me a new race engine
$100000 buys me a new a new completely race ready car

So I guess I'm out too

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'm with you but explain to me who the high roller donors are at Kansas State? They are not brimming with state of the art facilities in Manhattan, KS. And Northwestern likely has wealthy alums but they have never dumped cash into their AD. To say we are at half of Kansas State seems absurd.

Fair questions; not sure of the answers as I didn’t get enough time to ask every question that ran through my mind.

The gist of the message was that we’re going to be 12th out of 12 in the new Big 12 in AD donation giving and things are looking like we’ll certainly be in the same position for NIL giving barring any fundamental change in attitude and trends. I’m less worried about us and K-State battling for the 11th and 12th position and more about the likely drastic spread between the top 10 and those last 2.

Unfortunately, there are enough currently mid-tier schools (think Oklahoma State, Florida State, Arkansas, Miss State, etc) that are going to have a big time financial advantage that could leap them into a new tier between the current top dogs and us current mid-tier programs.

At the end of the day, we're still going to need to be a developmental school. Get the 3-star guys, hope that we can be competitive enough to keep a fair share of them after they develop in years 1 and 2 and sprinkle in with transfers.

Last edited:

whatthewhat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 7, 2019
I don't see a huge distinction between putting $200 to the AD vs putting $200 to this fund. 6 of 1, as they say.

I don't love it either, and I am not sure I will donate, or even continue in the NCC or buying season tix. But that has more to do with my sports interest waning as I age, than another $200 annual. Every year I care a little less about sports in general.
I'm right there with you. I don't have nearly the interest in sports that I used to have. Saying that, I will probably contribute, so that grandkids can get excited about ISU sports and follow a hopefully competitive team.

Reactions: BACyclone

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Those were just the averages, they're going to accept any amounts.

I expected there to be some sort of subscription amount that would give the supporter access to certain events, Zooms with athletes etc. So while they will take a one-time $10 donation, the $200/year level is in the $15-20 a month range for a subscription. Do you think this is right?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I expected there to be some sort of subscription amount that would give the supporter access to certain events, Zooms with athletes etc. So while they will take a one-time $10 donation, the $200/year level is in the $15-20 a month range for a subscription. Do you think this is right?
Like Netflix for Cyclone football.

jdolson27

May 23, 2015
Wish they would do something similar to that. Be like a gym membership you never use. You have the option of recurring payment for amount you chose. Just taken out during each month if you don’t want to do one lump sum. That way they continue to have money flowing in each month.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Wish they would do something similar to that. Be like a gym membership you never use. You have the option of recurring payment for amount you chose. Just taken out during each month if you don’t want to do one lump sum. That way they continue to have money flowing in each month.
I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine they wouldn't be considering a subscription option, it just makes too much sense.

Reactions: BACyclone

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Greatest ambassadors for ISU athletics right now that also have the largest audience and could help the "collective"

Haliburton
Breece Hall
Brock Purdy
Niang
Monte
Matt Thomas
Coach Mac
Hornacek?

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
Greatest ambassadors for ISU athletics right now that also have the largest audience and could help the "collective"

Haliburton
Breece Hall
Brock Purdy
Niang
Monte
Matt Thomas
Coach Mac
Hornacek?
Lazard has to be there too. Bridget Carleton maybe? Kene Nwangwu

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Haliburton
Breece Hall
Brock Purdy
Niang
Monte
Matt Thomas
Coach Mac
Hornacek?
Geoffrey is still hanging around and is a good dude.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Yes 1200 dollars is typically what makes someone go from poor to not poor.

The biggest point being that Gunner isn’t poor and neither are 99% of Cyclone graduates and posters on this website. If you don’t want to give or you are too young in your career then just be honest.

Reactions: Gunnerclone
Status
Not open for further replies.