The Big 12 AD meeting Thursday night

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I think this idea that the pac and big are suddenly going to start handing out invites to be a bit of a fallacy. Nothing left moves the needle for them.
I agree about the B1G, but the Pac could use a wall of 4 Midwest States (TT, OSU, KSU and ISU) east of the Rockies. That would be a powerful block of markets, footprint, etc.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I agree about the B1G, but the Pac could use a wall of 4 Midwest States (TT, OSU, KSU and ISU) east of the Rockies. That would be a powerful block of markets, footprint, etc.

PAC needs eyeballs eastward and competition…this gives them that. This is the PAC’s shot they missed in 2011 because of TX. Once they make the move, the B1G follows.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
PAC needs eyeballs eastward and competition…this gives them that. This is the PAC’s shot they missed in 2011 because of TX. Once they make the move, the B1G follows.
They wll be better off this time than before too. They will land 4 states in their footprint instead of two, and they don't have to deal with the drama of Texas.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
They wll be better off this time than before too. They will land 4 states in their footprint instead of two, and they don't have to deal with the drama of Texas.

I mean, they really dodged a bullet there. Plus, if I recall TX was dictating who was moving with them if they were to grace the PAC with their presence…I don’t think the PAC was on-board with the selections.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Can you imagine having just won a national championship in basketball and having to wonder before the next season starts if you'll end up playing in any sort of quality conference just two seasons later?

Attachments

• sucks-to-BU.jpg
    sucks-to-BU.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Haha
Reactions: quasistellar

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Can you imagine having just won a national championship in basketball and having to wonder before the next season starts if you'll end up playing in any sort of quality conference just two seasons later?

I'd love for us to get a Big 10 invite soon so this limbo status we're currently in doesn't distract from what I'm hoping will be our greatest season ever.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

tsirnickesqcy

Oct 13, 2013
Des Moines, IA
With all the sturm and drang of the las 48 hours, not enough attention has been paid to the impact and influence of streaming platforms on CFB realignment.

ISU should be in a better position for streaming than traditional TV networks. The former is narrative driven, while the latter is bound by geography and TV market size. And Cyclone Football has a very compelling narrative.

Not really. I love ISU as much as the next guy but even when you factor streaming in, while ISU has a passionate and decent sized fan base, it is still very small compared to the bigger brands. I don’t think ISU moves the needle for streaming either.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
TV ratings last season sans Texas and OU games ...

E7Ab_U1XMAMxDhz

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Not really. I love ISU as much as the next guy but even when you factor streaming in, while ISU has a passionate and decent sized fan base, it is still very small compared to the bigger brands. I don’t think ISU moves the needle for streaming either.
It entirely depends on the end-goals of the Big 10, PAC and ACC as well as how each positions themselves for the inevitable next round. It’s not just about getting to #1, it’s also about staying ahead of whomever is behind you.

The PAC is well behind the other three conferences, and needs to swing for the fences to change that. By scooping up their choice of schools, the Big 10 can limit that. All the schools on the board have some positives and negatives. Baylor and TCU have great academics, but are smaller schools with fewer viewers and are private religious institutions. Tech, OSU and K-State have poor academics. KU has a terrible football program. ISU has recent success, but a terrible history of football.

On the flip side, ISU has the second biggest TV audience behind OSU. ISU has the largest stadium and has been very aggressive in upgrading facilities. ISU has the third best academics behind Baylor and TCU, and is one of two AAU members. That’s a pretty compelling resume.

Reactions: tsirnickesqcy

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016

meh. **** Baylor.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't think that's true at all. What % of midwestern sports fans do you think watch a reformed SEC with ND, tOSU, Michigan, PSU, etc?

They'll all just go back to watching their NFL teams at take their Saturdays back.

I also don't buy that gambling has that much impact. Sports betting is big business, but its a minority of fans that partake. Heck I think most sports wagers are informal bets and office pools, the people that are big into betting don't factor into the media decisions.

Yes, CFB ratings last year were down 30% year over year. That’s absolutely tanking. Prior to last year ISU was one of the few that bucked the trend of declining attendance.

CFB trends are not good. Things like AAF were absolute flops. This idea that they can just throw out some type of CFB product and it’s going to succeed isn’t true.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I must say, Texas and OU had a very low disregard for their peer institutions and B12 leadership to let this happen in secret as it did. I've been in many business contracts where partners would never ever treat one another like this without serious cause, and I'm talking Chevron/BP level. It's hard for me to grasp how seriously bad the conference must have been configured.

• Agree
Reactions: larrysarmy

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I must say, Texas and OU had a very low disregard for their peer institutions and B12 leadership to let this happen in secret as it did. I've been in many business contracts where partners would never ever treat one another like this without serious cause, and I'm talking Chevron/BP level. It's hard for me to grasp how seriously bad the conference must have been configured.

Which is ultimately why I’m not interested in salvaging the B12, and hope the remaining 8 find safe harbor. This conference has become too toxic, sadly.

I’ll miss the rest of the schools (well, except Baylor) that we don’t move with, but it’s time.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
This has been bothering me as well. The only reasons to spring a surprise on the rest of the conference are insidious. It definitely seems like the conference hasn’t been built on mutual respect for a long time. Sports are zero sum and cut-throat, but the Big 12 is easily the most dysfunctional conference in the FBS.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Not only dysfunctional and insidious but sophomoric in how their personal relationships must have been. It would be like me and @bannedman being in the boardroom together.

Business-to-business relationships are really about people as much as anything else. And those relationships, yes, they must have been toxic. Thus, I can't imagine why smart people in the room - your AD, ours - did not sense what was going down at some point. Unbelievable.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron