The fat lady isn't singing yet...

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I'm a glass is half full kind of guy. I can't help it. I'm just wired that way. I'm also really fine with everybody being pissed off about last Thursday night. I was.

This was my first post in the gameday thread... post 55. Before the game even kicked off.

"I just hope that Manning doesn't try to get to cute with play calling and adapts with what works and what doesn't."

Well... that didn't happen.

All of that said.

Last year:
UNI - 20/25 loss
Iowa - 3/42 loss
TCU - 20/41 loss
SJSU - 44/10 WIN

This year:
UNI - 42/24 WIN
Iowa - 41/44 loss
Akron - 41/14 WIN
Texas - 7/17 loss

We are better than we were last year. I believe we have talent on the team that is B12 worthy. We have some really good young guys. We are better. What stings is the fact that we had Iowa on the ropes.

Look at the pre-season prediction thread. 3-1 was probably the optimistic majority opinion. Heck... just beating UNI was a concern. Seriously.

There are wins out there this year. We don't suck.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Blowing the Iowa game bugged me more than the Texas game. We had the Iowa game won and pee'd it away but it never felt like we were going to get a lead in the Texas game let alone get it and hold it.

Exactly how I feel.

But the fact that we have these feelings is because it wasn't 42-3 or 27-7.

We are improving.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014 and aauummm

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Blowing the Iowa game bugged me more than the Texas game. We had the Iowa game won and pee'd it away but it never felt like we were going to get a lead in the Texas game let alone get it and hold it.

As badly as we played, there was still some very close plays that didn't go our way that could have allowed ISU to steal the game. The kickoff fumble at the 5 could have changed the entire game. The stupid unsportsmanlike penalty was a killer too.

Poor coaching was the biggest correctable thing, that and getting Park to settle down. Again, I am confused why a coach would see his QB struggling and continue to put it all on him to win the game. Especially when there is a great running back that you are using for pass protection.

Not going to give up on this team, but they are going to have to get a lot better to get to a bowl game. The one thing they have going for them is that they get the annual pounding from the Sooners out of the way quickly. There really isn't another team in the conference that looks scary to me. Unfortunately, the 3 teams that seemed like easy wins are showing a pulse at this time, but if you can't beat the worst teams in you conference, then bowl games are a pipe dream.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
As badly as we played, there was still some very close plays that didn't go our way that could have allowed ISU to steal the game. The kickoff fumble at the 5 could have changed the entire game. The stupid unsportsmanlike penalty was a killer too.

Poor coaching was the biggest correctable thing, that and getting Park to settle down. Again, I am confused why a coach would see his QB struggling and continue to put it all on him to win the game. Especially when there is a great running back that you are using for pass protection.

Not going to give up on this team, but they are going to have to get a lot better to get to a bowl game. The one thing they have going for them is that they get the annual pounding from the Sooners out of the way quickly. There really isn't another team in the conference that looks scary to me. Unfortunately, the 3 teams that seemed like easy wins are showing a pulse at this time, but if you can't beat the worst teams in you conference, then bowl games are a pipe dream.

Only the ultimate here we go again trendsetter, other then that didn't mean anything.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Exactly how I feel.

But the fact that we have these feelings is because it wasn't 42-3 or 27-7.

We are improving.

I am open at this point to either being optimistic or pessimistic, depending on how the next few games after the Sooners go. Unless we are insanely good at Norman I'm just going to toss that out as not a real good indicator. Haven't been down to a game in a few years but leaning towards making a homecoming run this fall.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014 and aauummm

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Only the ultimate here we go again trendsetter, other then that didn't mean anything.

But that kind of stuff affects the team and the fans. There are very few times that ISU has given up that first 1st down that they have been able to stop the other team on downs later in the drive this year.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
If we could somehow upset OU, that would completely take away the sting of the EIU and UT games. I know - ain't gonna happen - but I would immediately forget those two losses if we pulled off the upset.

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: isu2014 and Cyclad

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm a glass is half full kind of guy. I can't help it. I'm just wired that way. I'm also really fine with everybody being pissed off about last Thursday night. I was.

This was my first post in the gameday thread... post 55. Before the game even kicked off.

"I just hope that Manning doesn't try to get to cute with play calling and adapts with what works and what doesn't."

Well... that didn't happen.

All of that said.

Last year:
UNI - 20/25 loss
Iowa - 3/42 loss
TCU - 20/41 loss
SJSU - 44/10 WIN

This year:
UNI - 42/24 WIN
Iowa - 41/44 loss
Akron - 41/14 WIN
Texas - 7/17 loss

We are better than we were last year. I believe we have talent on the team that is B12 worthy. We have some really good young guys. We are better. What stings is the fact that we had Iowa on the ropes.

Look at the pre-season prediction thread. 3-1 was probably the optimistic majority opinion. Heck... just beating UNI was a concern. Seriously.

There are wins out there this year. We don't suck.
No problem with your view - props to ya. The entire season will tell the tale.
But I see Purdue looking instantly much better than last year, and this is Brohm's first season. And he has less to work with than Campbell.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Moral victories and Kool Aid for everyone!!

Yup. Can't discuss how the team has improved since last year. If you don't win, you suck, end of discussion.

ritter.gif

giphy.gif

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
OU, OSU, TCU, KSU will get us to six losses. Have to win the rest.

Likely, but not sold. Either TT is legitimate and we're screwed either way, or OSU is a fraud - and we almost beat them at their house last year.

As far as K-State, they lost to freaking Vanderbilt and didn't have an easy time with Baylor, not to mention 9 of the last 10 years we've been within one score of them. Not ready to put that in the L column yet.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
As far as K-State, they lost to freaking Vanderbilt and didn't have an easy time with Baylor, not to mention 9 of the last 10 years we've been within one score of them. Not ready to put that in the L column yet.[/QUOTE]

At this point in time all you can do is look for progress, and team improvement. Beating KSU would be a great start, as somehow ISU has mystically found ways to lose to those guys over the last decade. After the Iowa game, this is the one I would really like to see ISU win, even if it is on a fluke play that breaks the curse.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Baylor appears to be improving rapidly as the season goes on. I'm not comfortable counting that as a victory for us, especially on the road.

At this point, I think we can beat everybody on on our schedule outside of OU (spoiler alert, we won't) but we could also lose to everyone remaining on our schedule outside of KU.

I'm really down on this team after thursday. It was a huge opportunity to showcase our program on a national stage, and we **** the bed. I think 4-8 is most likely and 5-7 is optimistic. Regardless, I'll be at the rest of the home games crushing busch light and screaming in the stands, like always.

Last edited:

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I think the defense we saw Thursday could keep us competitive with anyone. It amazes me that D line development is ahead of O line development, but that seems to be the case. Until the O line takes a step or two forward, I think it's going to be a struggle. Having said that, Manning and Campbell are prideful, competitive people who intend to make a name for themselves in the coaching business. I don't think they are going to just "collect paychecks" at Iowa State and retire in their 40's. I expect to see us compete with Oklahoma Saturday. Probably not enough to hang with them for four quarters, but not embarrassing either.

My group had a great time at the Texas game in spite of the crappy outcome. There's nothing better than seeing 50,000+ people decked out in Cardinal and Gold. Props to the fans who continue to show up and create an amazing atmosphere for a program that is 8-21 AT HOME since its last bowl appearance. When this thing gets turned around, it's going to be great.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Yes we are better than we were last September. Hard for anyone to convince me we are a better than last October or November though. I'm hoping we make a jump again this month like we did last year at this time.

• Agree
Reactions: BryceC

Help Support Us

Become a patron