The Fran fade

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Which is pretty normal for a 12 seed. Iowa state got the dream draw I think you're referencing. I know Pollard was on the committee too so I think this will a simple mistake
They did get a pretty lucky first round draw with LSU after recently firing their sleezeball of a coach. But having to play Wisconsin in Milwaukee is almost the exact opposite of a lucky draw. That was the committee trying to **** us, and it backfired on them beautifully.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Historically easy? That's ridiculous you could argue 5 was an overseed but Richmond as a 12 and providence as a 4 in Buffalo was no easy draw.

Providence was favored by 2 points over the 13 seed! There had never been a 4-seed as that short of a favorite in the R64 ever - Historical.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Which is pretty normal for a 12 seed. Iowa state got the dream draw I think you're referencing. I know Pollard was on the committee too so I think this was a simple mistake

It says a lot about Big 10 hoops that you are asserting playing the Conference Champion in a pseudo home game constitutes a "dream draw"

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Providence was favored by 2 points over the 13 seed! There had never been a 4-seed as that short of a favorite in the R64 ever - Historical.

Providence was by far the weakest 4 seed. Hindsight is 20/20, and we of course know you would have met the eventual champion in the Sweet 16 had you advanced that far, but there was a lot of data at the time that would suggest KU was the weakest of the 1-seeds.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It says a lot about Big 10 hoops that you are asserting playing the Conference Champion in a pseudo home game constitutes a "dream draw"
It was literally a sold out crowd and probably, what, 75/25 Wisconsin to ISU fans?

• Winner
Reactions: mikeiastat

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
They did get a pretty lucky first round draw with LSU after recently firing their sleezeball of a coach. But having to play Wisconsin in Milwaukee is almost the exact opposite of a lucky draw. That was the committee trying to **** us, and it backfired on them beautifully.
Wisconsin was beaten up at that point and not playing well. Nobody had Wisconsin going far and they were a very high seed. It was impressive for Iowa State to win in Milwaukee but I don't think anyone was shocked Wisconsin lost early

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Providence was by far the weakest 4 seed. Hindsight is 20/20, and we of course know you would have met the eventual champion in the Sweet 16 had you advanced that far, but there was a lot of data at the time that would suggest KU was the weakest of the 1-seeds.
I don't get that at all. They were 25-6 in a good conference and they beat Texas tech and Wisconsin in the non conference. Calling them the weakest 4 is just stupid. They gave Kansas the champion arguably its toughest game in the tournament too. Agree to disagree

• Dumb
Reactions: mikeiastat

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Wisconsin was beaten up at that point and not playing well. Nobody had Wisconsin going far and they were a very high seed. It was impressive for Iowa State to win in Milwaukee but I don't think anyone was shocked Wisconsin lost early
Wisconsin and Providence were both weird teams last year. And no one was calling Wisconsin world beaters. The very fact that they won the Big 10 outright shows how "meh" the Big 10 was last year (and most years). And yes, there were actually a lot of people that were shocked that Wisconsin lost to Iowa State.

The funny thing is that most of America had Iowa beating Providence and advancing to the Sweet 16 to play Kansas. So they didn't really buy into the fact that Iowa had a "tough draw".

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Wisconsin and Providence were both weird teams last year. And no one was calling Wisconsin world beaters. The very fact that they won the Big 10 outright shows how "meh" the Big 10 was last year (and most years). And yes, there were actually a lot of people that were shocked that Wisconsin lost to Iowa State.

The funny thing is that most of America had Iowa beating Providence and advancing to the Sweet 16 to play Kansas. So they didn't really buy into the fact that Iowa had a "tough draw".
I'd agree they were weird teams. They were better than their talent and both didn't finish season strong so they were maybe perceived as weaker high seeds.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't get that at all. They were 25-6 in a good conference and they beat Texas tech and Wisconsin in the non conference. Calling them the weakest 4 is just stupid. They gave Kansas the champion arguably its toughest game in the tournament too. Agree to disagree
Who cares about Providence. You guys couldn’t take care of business to even play them if possible.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Wisconsin was beaten up how? Because Chucky Hepburn got hurt right before halftime and couldn't finish the game? Big deal. Iowa State had 9 scholarship players. Gabe Kalscheur made the Big 10 POY and eventual lottery pick his little b!tch.

Reactions: legi and Statefan10

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Wisconsin was beaten up how? Because Chucky Hepburn got hurt right before halftime and couldn't finish the game? Big deal. Iowa State had 9 scholarship players. Gabe Kalscheur made the Big 10 POY and eventual lottery pick his little b!tch.
Johnny Davis hurt his ankle right at then end of the year and was awful at the end of the season. Kalscheur and the boys made it rough for him alright

• Dumb
Reactions: CyPunch and Ayagi

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

WI would have finished in about the middle of the Big 12 standings if that and were soft all year. It's hard to use the 'beaten up' deal when you don't play a good defense for over 2 months of the season.

Davison's antics showed just how much of a house of cards they were when they got guarded.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Johnny Davis hurt his ankle right at then end of the year and was awful at the end of the season. Kalscheur and the boys made it rough for him alright
His ankle was fine. He played 37 mins and had 25 and 8 in a game 2 days before ISU. You don’t do that on an ankle that’s hurt. No reason to look for things to devalue ISU’s win over WI.

WI simply couldn’t handle ISU defense/intensity since it was nothing they’ve seen before.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron