The Fran fade

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Tough to tell given opponent. I like Perkins a lot, love Connor hitting 3s and shooting them with confidence if that carries over would be huge. I didn't love defense early on and that it appears Ogundele and Mulvey still will not be ready. Rebounding could be a problem with this team
This is way more info than needed on this site about a program I detest.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Iowa is going to be solid offensively but horrible defensively again. Like really bad. Size is going to be a big issue this year.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Typically they have size, albeit goofy and and a Clearasil stock holders dream, but size.
Yeah Josh O and Mulvey just aren’t there and Josh O likely won’t ever be. Who knows on Mulvey but it won’t be this year.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
They will have plenty of size when their third McCaffery joins them in 2025. Connor can find some reason to be on his 8th or 9th year in college basketball.

Reactions: ScottyP

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There is actually a slight possibility that in 2025 Iowa has 6 guys on scholarship who had a brother or father play at Iowa..

Patrick McCaffery
Payton Sandfort
Pryce Sandfort
Cooper Koch
Luke Wieskamp
Jack McCaffery

And if Iowa offers Pete Moe, another legacy who is playing at a prep school, that'll be 7. That would be INSANE.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
There is actually a slight possibility that in 2025 Iowa has 6 guys on scholarship who had a brother or father play at Iowa..

Patrick McCaffery
Payton Sandfort
Pryce Sandfort
Cooper Koch
Luke Wieskamp
Jack McCaffery

And if Iowa offers Pete Moe, another legacy who is playing at a prep school, that'll be 7. That would be INSANE.
That would be Frantastic!

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
To me, Iowa will be about the same as last year on the bottom line. Kris Murray will be a liter version of Keegan, but Iowa will be a little bit better in the backcourt. I agree with Go Hawks, that Tony Perkins might be ready to put this team on his back, and athletically/defensively, not having Jorbo is a pretty major improvement. Time will tell of course. Rebounding and defense, especially on the interior, will be an issue, just like pretty much everyone knows.

I am curious to see how well they shoot from 3 this year. Sandfort can knock them down, as can Murray, but will that be enough to play the space and pace style Fran likes to play normally?

Also, surprised to see Dix in the boxscore from the Truman State game. I didn't think he'd be playing at all this year. Good to see he's recovering well, I just assumed he'd be a medical redshirt then Fran 6-year player special.

Reactions: Dirt Boy 2

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
While at my brother's home on Monday (he's an Iowa alum), I was forced to watch the second half of their exhibition against Truman State. About the time that Iowa finally hit the 100 mark, in came the backups (had to get the score as out of hand as possible, first) when what did I see/hear, was the name KINGSBURY. Another former player who's kid joins the program. If A-hole Fran didn't have his family tree or the Hawkeye family tree to fill his rosters, god forbid he may have to do the part of a coach's job that so many others have to do, RECRUIT. Jezuz......

• Informative
Reactions: Lafaester54

DunkeyFeller

May 22, 2022
While at my brother's home on Monday (he's an Iowa alum), I was forced to watch the second half of their exhibition against Truman State. About the time that Iowa finally hit the 100 mark, in came the backups (had to get the score as out of hand as possible, first) when what did I see/hear, was the name KINGSBURY. Another former player who's kid joins the program. If A-hole Fran didn't have his family tree or the Hawkeye family tree to fill his rosters, god forbid he may have to do the part of a coach's job that so many others have to do, RECRUIT. Jezuz......
Saying Fran can’t recruit anything other than legacies is stupid. Outside of Keegan, all of his best players were guys he scouted and landed.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
How is this part even known?
I think assumptions are being made that Kris Murray and Tony Perkins have made significant offseason strides. Sandfort as well,l to a lesser extent. I actually do tend to agree that these assumptions could be valid. The team won't have a player as good as Keegan Murray or Luka Garza, but the top 3 players will be better than the top 3 were either of the last two seasons IMO. What's more is Fran's system generally does yield good to great offensive results. The question I have, that really will determine just how good they can be offensively, is can they shoot it well enough? Outside of Kris Murray and Sandfort, I don't think they have a lot of guys who have proven they can knock down 3's consistently. Perkins and McCaffery shot it in the 32-33% range last year, which is fine, but not scary good by any means. And yes, I do realize that either of them would have been top 3 or 4 at ISU with those %'s a year ago. LOL

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

Patrick McCaffery
Payton Sandfort
Pryce Sandfort
Cooper Koch
Luke Wieskamp
Jack McCaffery

And all white guys too. Imagine trying to compete at a high level of basketball with 7 white guys on the team lol