The great washing machine debate

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I actually have no idea if there is any debate here or not, but I wanted to pick CF brains about their experience with certain washing machines. Anyway, we're in the market for a new washing machine (and dryer) and I've done a decent amount of research, but I'd like to get some additional first-hand experience if possible. The brand I've been looking into most is Speed Queen. They're the throwback, old school, never-going-to-break machines and have an amazing reputation. My only concern with them is the drum size. We're a family of 5 and at ~3.5 cubic feet, it's not very big. However, my understanding is that these things can be completely filled to the top of the drum, versus these new HE machines that fill-up around 60% at most. Maytag has a similar type model, as does Bosch. Anyone have experience with these machines? I'd be curious about the large-sized HE models that people have and how they've performed.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Don't buy a front load washer. Don't care what people say, they are a PITA to keep from some kind of mold or mildew buildup even if you leave the door open when not in use and regularly clean it. The last one we had didn't last long either, so poorly designed seemed like something was always breaking on it and finally just replaced it after the warranty expired and the repair was going not going to be worth the cost.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Second Speed Queen. We had one and opted for a Whirlpool in our new house. Big mistake. Already on our third repair on the Whirlpool. The Speed Queen doesn't have any of the extra bells and whistles, but they work and they last forever. You'll never use the extra features on the new box store models. Who actually needs wifi to your washing machine?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I actually have no idea if there is any debate here or not, but I wanted to pick CF brains about their experience with certain washing machines. Anyway, we're in the market for a new washing machine (and dryer) and I've done a decent amount of research, but I'd like to get some additional first-hand experience if possible. The brand I've been looking into most is Speed Queen. They're the throwback, old school, never-going-to-break machines and have an amazing reputation. My only concern with them is the drum size. We're a family of 5 and at ~3.5 cubic feet, it's not very big. However, my understanding is that these things can be completely filled to the top of the drum, versus these new HE machines that fill-up around 60% at most. Maytag has a similar type model, as does Bosch. Anyone have experience with these machines? I'd be curious about the large-sized HE models that people have and how they've performed.
Get what your wife wants, otherwise you will end up doing all the laundry.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Our Samsung top load is just over ten years with minor maintenance of replacement of the stabilizer spring things. I know they had a bad rap for a while and maybe we just got lucky but I am very pleased with it.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Previous owners of our house took their Washer/Dryer so we wound up buying SpeedQueen units in Dec '21. We have the 'classic' ones so not the HE models. 2 adults and 2 young children and we never have problems with the size of the basket, able to do multiple sets of sheets no issue. We wouldn't wash a comforter in a larger machine anyway.

The wash cycle is much faster than any other machine we've owned, less than 30 minutes. The dryer's sensed dry cycle is a bit annoying, the distance on the dial between two settings is tiny but the end dry result is massive. Once we figured out why so many loads were still damp we've had no issues.

Our laundry room is tiled and in a tiled hallway behind the living room and the noise level is not significant.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
We tried a low water use one. Wife hated it and made my life miserable. Quickly bought another one that fills with water. Wife happy, I am happy.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
We have mixed feelings about our Samsung Washer/dryer. I like the top load of the washer, it just becomes unbalanced a lot. The dryer seems loud and obnoxious. Outside of that stuff has held up so far.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Second Speed Queen. We had one and opted for a Whirlpool in our new house. Big mistake. Already on our third repair on the Whirlpool. The Speed Queen doesn't have any of the extra bells and whistles, but they work and they last forever. You'll never use the extra features on the new box store models. Who actually needs wifi to your washing machine?
Dude. WiFi is a game changer.

Remote start the thing before you leave work and it's ready to switch when you walk in the door. Saves so much time when you have to do a couple loads in the evening.

I've had nothing but good luck with my LG. 8 years in and no maintenance at all. It just runs.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
All those blinged out stainless steel front loaders have always struck me as one of the more colossal wastes of money out there. We have an old school top loader Whirlpool with matching dryer that were half the price and have had zero issues. I just wish they still came in avocado.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
We had a front load washer and dryer for 10+ years. My wife hated it. This year we bought a Speed Queen Washer and Dryer set. She loves them both. I could see where drum size might be a concern. We are empty nesters so we have no issues. The cycle times do seem to be less with Speed Queens, so that may help offset capacity. I was concerned about the dampness of the clothes exiting the washer vs a front load machine, but I don't see any significant difference.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
If you regularly work or play in a way that your clothes actually get dirty, I think Speed Queen is the way to go. Every farmer, mechanic, etc I know that has them says they are amazing.

We have an LG front loader that's almost 10 years old and, knock on wood, has been reliable. It definitely struggles getting things as clean during the parts of the years that I'm in the field but that seems to be the nature of HE machines. Never had the mold issues others mention, but we leave the detergent drawer and the door open whenever it's not being used. I've been told that getting somebody to work on them if needed is next to impossible though.

Not sure if the agitator-less top loads have improved, but they used to be absolutely awful.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Never had an issue with the Samsung washer dryer in 5 plus years.

Now the Samsung dishwasher is another matter. Always gave trouble.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We bought a Maytag washer/dryer when an apartment building revamped their laundry room. The machines were probably 5-6 years old when we bought them. They lasted us for another 20 years...throughout my boys' childhoods & teen years. We finally replaced them with another pair of Maytags that were still going strong when we downsized to a smaller stackable set upstairs.

Moral of the story - Maytags were virtually indestructible for us.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Dude. WiFi is a game changer.

Remote start the thing before you leave work and it's ready to switch when you walk in the door. Saves so much time when you have to do a couple loads in the evening.

I've had nothing but good luck with my LG. 8 years in and no maintenance at all. It just runs.

Why not just start it when you put the clothes in?

Help Support Us

Become a patron