The Most Awesome/Stupid Thing You've Ever Done

cychhosis

May 12, 2006
S.E. Iowa
After a football game in the '70s (when you could take two fifths & a pint into the game in a grocery bag of popcorn). We were walking back to my friend's girl friend's house on Beach. We see a tailgate cooler setting out behind someone's van. We didn't say a word, just looked at the cooler, looked at each other - grabbed the cooler and started to run. It was great, had plenty of beer and sandwiches to keep the party rolling. I think later that day I was wearing the tall white boots of one of the pom squad members. They tell me I looked pretty sharp!

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Coolest thing I ever did:

Spent a summer working for a non profit ministry that fought povery in Appalahica by fixing up houses at no cost to the home owners.

Dumbest thing:

Dipped into the sauce a little too much at the wife's first coworker party. I'll spare the details.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I graduated in 1986, but I think it's:
"Carver to Beardshear is like across the sidewalk".

A Carver to Curtis run is still across campus...

Damn, I scewed up correcting a screw up. Thats the worst kind of screw up :no:

And yeah I know... clearly I wasn't paying much attention to my response :rolleyes:

Cycloin

Feb 5, 2009
Johnston
Arrowhead stadium tailgating for the ISU-FSU game. On a dare from a friend, I spent like 6 hours introducing myself to people that walked by as Doug Gross, who, at the time, was running against Tom Vilsack. Doug while tall, is rather slight. I, too, am tall, but tip the scales at about 360. Almost everyone was cool with it, asking things like what policies do you support (pro-family, pro-education, and anti-Nebraska for the record). The lone exception were the folks tailgating next to us. They must have been Gross' relatives (or tired of the fat, drunk guy's shtick) and made it well known that I was offensive. I don't know if it was awesome or stupid, but aren't they often the same?

Last edited:

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Arrowhead stadium tailgating for the ISU-FSU game. On a dare from a friend, I spent like 6 hours introducing myself to people that walked by as Doug Gross, who, at the time, was running against Tom Vilsack. Doug while tall, is rather slight. I, too, am tall, but tip the scales at about 360. Almost everyone was cool with it, asking things like what policies do you support (pro-family, pro-education, and anti-Nebraska for the record). The lone exception were the folks tailgating next to us. They must have been Gross' relatives (or tired of the fat, drunk guys shtick) and made it well known that I was offensive. I don't know if it was awesome or stupid, but aren't they often the same?
The line between awesome and stupid is fine. Alcohol just makes it harder to see.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Came home to Friley from a band party one night drunk as hell. So drunk I cound't get up into my loft and ended up sleeping on the couch. A short while later I had to go to the restroom and puke. I spent a long while praying to the porcelin gods and semi-passed out on the bowl (nasty I know).
I got up a few hours later and went back to my room. Apparently while I was gone, my roomate had returned from his date with his girlfriend and they had then gone to her dorm room on the other side of Friley. They of course locked the door when they left. There I was, locked out of my room, at 3 am, in my boxer briefs and a t-shirt.
I ended up knocking on my riends door across the hall. He was nice enough to answer, even though his girlfriend from home was visiting that weekend. I crashed on his futon and was very embarassed the next morning.
That morning, Jimmy (my friend) and his girl were leaving and I was still locked out and pantsless. I ended up borrowing some shorts from another friend and running to the other end of Friley to get a key from my roomate.
Not my proudest moment. I got some flack from my floormates for that one.

AmesCloneFan

Aug 17, 2008
Ames
Just one of many, many more...

Had a kegger in the parking lot of our apartment on Hunt St (the night the riots started in '04 as a result of said party getting busted). Anyway, a good friend of mine who happened to live in the neighboring apartment was broke and had his electricity shut off due to late utility payments. I had to go, so after seeing a line of 5 girls to the bathroom in MY apartment, I decided to use his.

I blindly entered his empty apartment with no lights due to no electricity, and tried feeling my way to his bathroom. I eventually made it and could feel that I was in the right general area by feeling the toilet on my shins. I unleashed the beast, and could only hear splattering. I just figured I was hitting the rim so I kept the flow going and just tried to adjust my aim. After 45 seconds of drunken peeing while basically aiming at a 180 degree area, I was done, having never struck water. I reached down after the ordeal only to find the lid had been down the whole time.

I didn't tell a soul, and played dumb the next morning when my buddy came in yelling about somebody "peed all over my bathroom!!"

-Pay your electric bill, dude.

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
I puked in the hall of my dorm in Freeman the night before the ISU-Iowa football game of 05. I was too drunk to clean it up that night, and of course their were things to do the next day so the puke sat out in the heat of the dorms for more than a day.

Last year after I was done with finals I proceeded to drink an entire case of Busch Light playing lawn games. Then we went to the bar, I got a Green Tree Frog, and stuff gets fuzzy from there. Apparently, a couple hours later when I deemed it appropriate to leave, I had to use the bar walls as a leaning post on my way down the sidewalk. I then had to take a wizz so I dropped my pants in some backyard yet forgetting to button them up or secure my belt. My pants then fell down as I walked. I guess I found this hilarious and continued to walk with them down and even winked the snake at some onlookers I passed. I somehow made it home and passed out only to be woken up by my girlfriend at 4AM who was worried about be since I hadn't returned her calls. I was lying in the bathroom completely naked and puke was everywhere. She was not happy haha.

I too, caught my leg on fire, but instead of stop drop and roll I deemed the best antidote to being on fire was to jump and flail around yelling. I got 2nd degree burns and the lower half of my leg was pretty much all goo instead of skin.

The Sunday before classes started my freshmen year, my friends and I went to Oak Elm for supper and proceeded to walk around campus to get acquainted with it a bit before classes started. I had grabbed an apple for the walk and as we went on we saw two raccoons eating some garbage about 20 yards away. Having an apple, and being a good samaritan, I thought the raccoons would enjoy eating that much more and my process of delivery would be to chuck it at them as hard as I could. Now this was from pretty far away and I'm no Greg Maddux so I thought the worst that would happen is that I scared them....but when I released the fruit time slowed down and am almost certain "Chariots of Fire" began to play. As the frozen rope was flying over, one of the raccoons looked over to see what was going on and was immediately hit in between the eyes with the projectile apple blowing the fruit to bits. The coon then started spazzing out and making a sound which is too hard to describe through type but it sounded like this, "aldks;dlkt34095fslkdjlkfj04-" it then stopped and died. We were in shock, none of us being cruel people, yet when someone said "Rocky Raccoon came out from his room, not expecting to be hit by an apple" we all bursted out laughing.

farmerbrent

Feb 29, 2008
Most awesome accomplishment:

Our dumpy house on Wood Street (right off Highland) was a regular stop of the drunk bus on Friday and Saturday nights after 10:00. Seemed awesome until finally got busted by the Ames PD. Had to visit the police station for that one. Two weeks later, the Ames paper ran an article about "party houses" that the police would regularly check the week of VIESHA and our place was on the top of the list. I still have a copy of that paper. They didn't lie either. A cop car slowly drove by about every two hours all week. Needless to say, we were not home much that week.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
Man, I only had one when I opened up this thread, but as I started reading others, I though, "hmm, yeah, I did that. Something close to that. Oh, yeah. That reminds me of that."

But, my funniest memory was from the end of my second year, second semester. It was the saturday before finals, and a group of about 6-7 of us had just finished off a pony key, and 4 of us were going back to Old RCA for one of the last times. I was in the mood for Mac & Cheese, but we didn't have butter. So, we stopped at the Kwik Trip on the way, and off we went.

Well, knowing that the semester was over in just a few days, and that we only had one box of Mac & Cheese left, I knew we wouldn't need all four sticks of butter. So, as we were walking, I decided it would be cool to see if I could hit a car driving down Lincoln Way. Not just throw it at it, but launch it.

At that time, I still had a pretty decent arm. I could throw a football 60 yards pretty consistently. So, while two of the guys with me stopped to pee in bushes, I took one of the sticks of butter out, and waited for my target. We were on the south side of the east bound lane of Lincoln Way, and there was a car traveling in the west bound lane. So, I reached back and threw that stick of butter as high as I could possibly throw it, and somehow, someway it ended up hitting the car right on the windshield and exploding into smitherines.

I fell down laughing and in disbelief and I never really got to see the reaction from the driver. But, I'm sure confusion was right up there. :yes::biglaugh:

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
Other dumb dorm things:

There was a group of about 5 of us that were always pulling the same shenanigans...

1. One weekend, we all decided to pee in the den garbage can to see how full we could get it.

2. Quite often, we would have a 1am "fire drill", where we would go in and turn on all of the showers at full speed and flush all the toilets at once, causing massive flooding. Ironically, we were the only ones not to ever get our feet wet...

3. Took about 3 "Exit signs". It was much easier after I realized they twisted off. The first several tries on the first one resulted in a lot of pain, trying to swing on it.

I'm sure more will come to me, and probably won't post any of the really illegal things. ;-)

milrtym

Sep 19, 2008
West Des Moines
A dorm one. My roommate, myself, and 10 other people went to a party. My roommate got hammered. I (6-1 175lbs) was dragging my roommate (6-4 275lbs). We got to the room and with my massive beer muscles I was able to get him up into his loft. I went to bed woke up in the morning and he was gone. As it turns out he got out of his bed to go to the bathroom. When he came he walked into the wrong room. He got into neighbors loft (without a ladder) and slept there. With the neighbor guy still in the bed. We did have pictures of them spooning each other before they woke up.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I was at ISU many years ago, prior to the remodel of Carrie Chapman Catt Hall; then it was known as Old Botany and sat idle for years as they decided what to do with it. There was a fire escape on the east side you could access from the ground; a GF & I used to climb up it to look out over campus. We found an unlocked window and spent many evenings after the bars closed exploring this relic which had been closed for a decade.

We had so much fun exploring Old Botany that a few friends and I decided to expand our missions. On a cold Sunday night in January, 1985, we shinied up a rain gutter and found ourselves on the front roof of Morrill Hall in search of unlocked windows. Suddenly two campus police cruisers came around the corner with lights flashing; we laid on our backs behind the 16" fascade to hide. They knew we were there and called up to us to come down; we chose to stay in place and wait them out, never acknowledging them. After about 90 minutes, they were on the ground discussing where they could get ladders and we were about to surrender! A call came across the radio and they departed as quickly as they'd come! Completely frozen (it was January), we climbed down as quickly as we could and departed, never to explore again!

My other stupid but cool story involves stealing a large Tasmanian Devil head off a Veisha float parked in front of a fraternity on Lincoln Way. We threw it in the back of a pickup and carried it all over central campus, trying to decide where to leave it. Taz visited the library, Campanile, Union fountain, etc. before we finally left it on Bob Parks' front steps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Palmer

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Another great one (arguably the greatest thing I've ever done):

This summer I was in Iowa City for a wedding. The night before, some buddies (all ISU alum who were at Iowa for grad school) had gone to a party. As we were walking back to his place, we walk by another party, and the guys on the porch invite us to come up and drink, so we do. After a couple of minutes of convo, I state that we're all ISU alums, to which the guy (who had been really friendly) responds "GET OUT! WE DON'T NEED ANY ******* CYCLONES!", I argue that we're not doing anything wrong and a couple of guys agree with me, but we're outnumbered, so we leave.

This REALLY irked me, and being pretty hammered, I decided this aggression couldn't stand. So, when we get back to my friends place, we all change into ISU gear, and head back to that party. This time we're walking from the other direction. When we get there, we yell up at the porch to see if anyone is still partying, and as soon as they see us in ISU gear, a posse of about 10 guys (there were 3 of us) come out to meet us, obviously displeased.

One guy, who was obviously coked out starts screaming "those are the guys!" I immediately play dumb, and ask someone who is calmer what he's talking about. He says that about 20 minutes earlier, they kicked out a couple of guys for being ISU fans. This whole time, Coke-boy keeps screaming at me, and acting like he's gonna hit me. I ask the guy if one of them looked just like me, and then I described what I had been wearing, and the guy goes "Exactly!" I tell them that was my twin brother, and he had just come back to where we had been completely wasted, and blathering about he had gotten kicked out of a party.

Completely buying my story, the guys are ready to just let us go on our way, when Coke-head tackles me, out of nowhere. I flip him over, get him facedown, and start bashing his face into the sidewalk. This is quickly broken up, and the guy's friends start reaming him out for just attacking us, when we "weren't the guys!" The guys invite us back into the house, give us some brewskies, and Coke head's girlfriend starts cleaning up his bloody nose/face. He soon apologizes, and tells me "man, I really honestly thought you guys were these other guys we just kicked out of here..."

Stupid Hawkeyes...

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Stupidest thing: Got in a fight and got hit with a golf club. Not as bad as it sounds he barely caught.

Haha, reminds me of two years ago after golf league. We had just beaten my best buddy in league that night pretty handily and we were playing an emergency nine with an emergency 18 (beer for you lame-o's). After we played the last hole, it was almost completely dark out so i dropped my ball on the fringe and hit it towards my buddy who was driving away on his cart about 50 yards away. By some grace of god, he drove right into the ball and it smacked him on the side of the face, instantly causing it to swell up and bleed. He is a huge (300 lb) Samoan dude with a terrible temper. I tried to walk up and apologize to him but he grabbed his 9 iron and beat the livin **** out of me with it. He managed to hit me twice in the arm. The worst part of the story is that I rolled my golf cart trying to get away from him, which broke 3 clubs in my bag.

Last edited by a moderator:

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
Freshman year, late on a Friday or Saturday night, I walked out the south doors of Birch Hall. Over on Lincoln Way, westbound, saw a police car come to a screeching halt right in the middle of the roadway, stop for about 5 seconds, and then peel out. Odd. So I'm walking towards MWL to meet friends in Willow, and see a police car pull into the little lot on the west side, almost still on Beach. Cop flies out of the car, barely with enough time to put the thing in park, and manages to tackle a kid right in the foyer of Maple by the elevator. Knee in his back, cuffing him up, and pretty much all the cop is saying is "Bet you're ******* sorry you chucked that brick now, huh?"

Upon a further examination of the police car....big ole spider crack in the windshield.

Note to self. Do not throw things at police, or their cruisers. :yes: