The Most Awesome/Stupid Thing You've Ever Done

Cycloin

Feb 5, 2009
Johnston
My other stupid but cool story involves stealing a large Tasmanian Devil head off a Veisha float parked in front of a fraternity on Lincoln Way. We threw it in the back of a pickup and carried it all over central campus, trying to decide where to leave it. Taz visited the library, Campanile, Union fountain, etc. before we finally left it on Bob Parks' front steps.

AH HAAAAAA!

I was in that frat (PIKE) and I actually operated that character on out float that year. Towards the end of the parade, we had an electrical mishap (a grossly undersized wire caught fire) and we had to bail out of the float at the end before we died from somke inhalation.

AmesCloneFan

Aug 17, 2008
Ames
A dorm one. My roommate, myself, and 10 other people went to a party. My roommate got hammered. I (6-1 175lbs) was dragging my roommate (6-4 275lbs). We got to the room and with my massive beer muscles I was able to get him up into his loft. I went to bed woke up in the morning and he was gone. As it turns out he got out of his bed to go to the bathroom. When he came he walked into the wrong room. He got into neighbors loft (without a ladder) and slept there. With the neighbor guy still in the bed. We did have pictures of them spooning each other before they woke up.

I had a similar experience myself.

Saturday before the first day of first semester, freshman year in Towers (Wallace). Long story short, partied way to hard at a kegger and went home and passed out on my futon- or so I thought. I woke up the next morning on a futon, with another guy laying on a different couch across the dorm room. We both woke up at the same time, and both said in unison "who the f__ are you?"

I had walked in to the wrong room and passed out, but the guys who's room it was were too drunk to notice. I had also filled this guy's nearby microwave box (they had just moved in) with puke sometime in the night.

We actually became friends after that- last time I saw him he had stolen a one of those golf carts at Jack Trice and he was flying down the hill towards the fence on the east side of the stadium, being chased by police. I think he got an OWI out of that deal...

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I got a couple
Just Plain Stupid
Freshman year - Road trip out to Crescent Beach, had a ton of captain and coke on the way out and as we were driving over the intercoastal I told my friends to stop, I wanted to jump off the bridge... It was ALOT higher than it looked before I got up there, jumped and had bruises on my shins and feet for a week...
Stupid Fun
After my friend's graduation party we were hanging out on court avenue and my buddy said he would give me $100 to streak up Welch Ave. I tookthe bet and took off from behind Peoples, ran up welch (at 1:45 am so it's packed!) ran up past the fire station (where a ton of cops were) and almost made it back to Stanton Heights when they were busting a party at the yellow house and they basically ran me right into the back of the cop car... All I had was my boots, keys, and phone. Had to spend the night in jail wearing a plastic suit, 90 degrees, no AC. Called my buddies to pick me up the next day and they drove out to county jail so I was wandering around Ames for around an hour in that stupid plastic suit... The fine was $125...
Stupid (bad luck) but mildly awesome
A week after signing my first minor league contract and the night of my best game yet, we leave the bar with these smoking hot girls to go back to their place. Getting out of the girls jeep I catch my foot on her seatbelt and fall out. I stick my right hand out to try and stop my fall on the car next to us and slice my hand on their wipers. The one girl takes me to the emergency room and it turns out I have to get stitches, but there was alot of time in the examining room so we have a little fun, it was crazy; )... Anyhow, luckily the team kept me on while the hand healed...

Last edited:

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
AH HAAAAAA!

I was in that frat (PIKE) and I actually operated that character on out float that year. Towards the end of the parade, we had an electrical mishap (a grossly undersized wire caught fire) and we had to bail out of the float at the end before we died from somke inhalation.

The Taz we pilfered was VEISHA - 1986. Your bio says you graduated in 1999, so either it was a different TAZ or you spent too many years in school!

Cycloin

Feb 5, 2009
Johnston
The Taz we pilfered was VEISHA - 1986. Your bio says you graduated in 1999, so either it was a different TAZ or you spent too many years in school!

That would be the latter, good sir. I actually had 4 different freshman years:smile:

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I was at ISU many years ago, prior to the remodel of Carrie Chapman Catt Hall; then it was known as Old Botany and sat idle for years as they decided what to do with it. There was a fire escape on the east side you could access from the ground; a GF & I used to climb up it to look out over campus. We found an unlocked window and spent many evenings after the bars closed exploring this relic which had been closed for a decade.

We had so much fun exploring Old Botany that a few friends and I decided to expand our missions. On a cold Sunday night in January, 1985, we shinied up a rain gutter and found ourselves on the front roof of Morrill Hall in search of unlocked windows. Suddenly two campus police cruisers came around the corner with lights flashing; we laid on our backs behind the 16' fascade to hide. They knew we were there and called up to us to come down; we chose to stay in place and wait them out, never acknowlidging them. After about 90 minutes, they were on the ground discussing where they could get ladders and we were about to surrender! A call came across the radio and they departed as quickly as they'd come! Completely frozen (it was January), we climbed down as quickly as we could and departed, never to explore again!

My other stupid but cool story involves stealing a large Tasmanian Devil head off a Veisha float parked in front of a fraternity on Lincoln Way. We threw it in the back of a pickup and carried it all over central campus, trying to decide where to leave it. Taz visited the library, Campanile, Union fountain, etc. before we finally left it on Bob Parks' front steps.

my favorite

AmesCloneFan

Aug 17, 2008
Ames
A few more quick ones:

-Raided food service at towers one night, and spent the next day throwing random stolen food items out our 10th floor window. We shook up a 2 liter mountain dew and tossed it, it almost launched all the way back up to the 10th floor! Other items included vegi-dogs (splattered, gross), 1 galon can of nacho cheese. Oh, and a computer monitor.

-Filled a 55 gal garbage can with water, leaned it up against the closed elevator doors, and called the elevator. As the elevator opened, the can fell into the elevator and drenched everyone inside. Problem was, we didn't think about what happens when you pour 50 gal of water down an elevator shaft. It caused thousands in damage and news stretched as far as the Omaha World Herald of the "Towers Vandals". (I know because my parents got the paper and called me on it.) Didn't get into trouble luckily. :cool:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Never have been one of the big drinkers, so I don't have many college drunk stories. That would also include me not really drinking on my 21st birthday, and I let it slip to my friends back home about that. Big mistake. They take me out for my 25th birthday (my first home freshly graduating from ISU). Basically mixing beer and (rather large) shots all night. Keep taking shot after shot and beer after beer (really lost count) and my friends are starting to get visibly pissed because here's the guy that rarely drinks and therefore shouldn't have any kind of alcohol tolerance whatsoever, yet I'm outdrinking them like a champ and at worst I just appear "tipsy". Still singing karaoke, still hitting notes (well, as well as one who was completely hammered could - I was still getting cheers), still having a great time, and my friends were getting more pissed by the moment. Then they decide to order the Boilermaker. Guzzle that thing like it was nothing. After that one I hit the wall - turned pale and glassy, and my friends could see in my eyes I was completely out of it. However, I STILL kept going. A couple more beers and a couple of more shots later and I was done. We'll never know how close I came to dying from alcohol poisoning that evening. My friends when they dropped me off truly didn't know if they were going to see me alive again. All I know is I had never puked that much in my life, and I was still dry-heaving well into the next evening. It was days before I ate solid food again (I couldn't even stand to look at it). An evening that was awesome up until the Boilermaker (pissing my friends off the way I did), and was straight ******* the rest of the evening.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Good time for my Reno, Nevada story.

I was at a bar called Brew Brothers. It was a Piano bar. I got so drunk I went back to my hotel. My Marine Corps buddy was my roomate. My room key did not work. I banged on the door and nothing. So I just passed out in the hallway of the hotel. A couple hours or so later a security guard came and woke me up. Ask me what the hell I was doing. I explained the damn key for this damn room does not work.
He took the key from me. Looked at the key and then explained to me that I was on the wrong floor. I was also at the wrong hotel. So basically if your ever in Reno, Nevada make sure you are in the right hotel on the right floor or your key won't work.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
my favorite

Thanks! Which of my fun but stupid hyjinks was amusing?
a) Ghosthunting in Old Botany?
b) Suffering hypothermia on the roof of Morrill Hall? or
c) Stealing TAZ from the Pikes and leaving him at the Knoll?

I'm kinda proud of the fact that none of my shenanigans included property damage or personal injury to others!

As a final offering for this thread, again following the exporation motiff, I'll offer the following. My partner in the Old Botany explorations, an on-again off-again GF with a wild streak, wanted to see the banana crop in the greenhouse (had a good view of it from the fire escape on Old Bot). We somehow got into Bessey Hall at 3am (don't remember how) and hopped on the elevator to take us to the top. The elevator got stuck and we were in it until 7am (Sunday AM), when we managed to pry the doors apart (between floors) and hop out! A custodian was standing in the hallway as I helped her down, never saying a word as we walked past him and out. I saw him the following week while departing a lab; he smiled broadly and nodded his head...

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
If I post anything, it will no longer be possible for me to become President. :no:

But I always wondered what a person would do if they found a tool lying around used to shut off water mains. Even more curious is what would happen if said tool was used to shut off the water supply to buildings all over campus. Thankfully I never had to wonder about what might happen if said activity occurred simultaneously with a fire. :policeman:

I've wondered about other things far worse than that, but in some states you can be arrested for what you are thinking, so I'll keep those to myself.:err:

MonsterBack

Sep 7, 2008
Parts Unknown
It's threads like this that REALLY make me wish my co-workers didn't know my user name. I've got a couple-dozen stories that I just can't afford to have floating around the office.

So I'll go with a safe one that can't get me in trouble.
I was on an AAU Open division team sponsored by AquaSleepWorld in the early 90s. Afew of my teammates were Gary Thompkins, Ronnie Harris, Lefty Moore, Lafester Rhodes, and Terry Woods.
We made it to the national semifinals in Topeka, and went up against a team out of Detroit that starred a couple of Magic Johnson's former MSU teammates (the Kelser brothers) a former NBA champ (Terry Durod) and a few other former stars.
Their PG was former Michigan D-bag, Antoine Joubert.

With about 5 minutes to go, we were getting drilled, so I got some quality mop-up duty.
I was out front matched up on Joubert, and he was trying to toy with me a little, and did a good job of it. But when I saw the chance to reach in for a steal, a went after it hard.
He managed to move the ball away just in time for me to land what looked like a full-on punch to the junk, and he dropped to the floor.
I could hear the crowd gasp, and heard a few of my teammates laughing their ***** off.

Before the ref had even finished reporting my foul to the scorer's table, Joubert came up swinging. He didn't land any punches, and we had to be separated. He got ejected and I got nothing but high-5's and applause after the skirmish.

There haven't been many college players who were d-bags on Joubert's level. Laetner, and maybe a few others would make that list.
So the memory of putting him on the ground and walking away without a scratch to the sound of applause was pretty f'ing cool.

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines
Hmmmmmmm.
Well, back in the day, I lived at Larch for a while. Lived on third floor and used to get a lot of complaints from the people on upper floors that our floor used the elevator.
"Why don't you guys on third, second, and first just walk down the stairs so that the rest of us don't have to wait so long and so often?"
I shared this comment with a few friends of mine, among them Kevin G. Don't we all know someone who can get you to do most anything if he asks you to?
Well, about a week later, late one Saturday morning, Kevin came to my room and asked me if I wanted to get even with the guys on the floors above.
Suuuuuuuuuuure Kevin. What do you have in mind?
Needless to say, Kevin had thought this through. He had a soldering kit, wires, electrical nuts, etc. Some kind of amperage meter, I think.
We got in to the north elevator, shut it down, and proceeded to open the control panel. Kevin pulled the wires that corresponded to the floors above, wrapped them and nutted them off. Then he proceeded to spot weld the control panel shut.
That elevator only stopped on floors three, two, and one for the next ten days. We never heard another word of complaint.
By the way, you haven't lived until you see Roman Candles and sky rockets go off, up an elevator shaft.
Do you guys still have floor meetings, sitting on the carpet between the elevators? We used to fill the eighty gallon trash cans with warm water in the shower and then drag the half full trash can to an awaiting elevator, set the trash can inside and lean it (pull it) towards the closing door and then send it on its merry way (usually down to the second floor) You have the option of adding bird seed to the warm water. When the elevator opens, and forty gallons of warm water spills out on to the carpet it is quite the scene (so I am told, .........all we could do was hear the yelling that came from below) Anyway, if you opt for the birdseed, the warm water and the carpet are condusive to seed germination in about a week. The carpet was blue at that time, and there were little green plants growing up from it. It is quite colorful.

Yes, I am ashamed.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxPower57

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Hmmmmmmm.
Well, back in the day, I lived at Larch for a while. Lived on third floor and used to get a lot of complaints from the people on upper floors that our floor used the elevator.
"Why don't you guys on third, second, and first just walk down the stairs so that the rest of us don't have to wait so long and so often?"

Yours was a lot funnier, but the upper floors in Larch last year loved when we got the elevators on our floor (5th) and put a chair in the doors so they wouldn't go up or down. Clear to floor out to parties, etc. and you don't have to worry about the annoying *** sound they make.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
okay most of mine involve setting furniture on fire-at tailgates, inside my living room, in my backyard, and a couch in a frat house tree across the street from where i lived.
dumbest would have been not paying for garbage pickup for a whole year in a house that 7 guys lived in. we got caught throwing it in a neighbors dumpster about halfway through the year, and after that we just stored it in our garage until the end of the year. then we threw it in our front yard in a huge goddamn mountain and moved out.
other stupid things: breaking out most all windows in our house, burning panties and bras in our fireplace, burning trash in our fireplace, having a homeless man stay on our porch for guitar lessons, catching a roomate eating 3 day old hotdogs out of the trashcan, throwing a table through our front door, and too many others to name.

we had padlocks on our bedroom doors. in a house. that we didn't ever even close the frontdoor to.

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines
Yours was a lot funnier, but the upper floors in Larch last year loved when we got the elevators on our floor (5th) and put a chair in the doors so they wouldn't go up or down. Clear to floor out to parties, etc. and you don't have to worry about the annoying *** sound they make.

I don't know why, but I seem to have an affinity for elevators. On weekends, late at night, we used to open them, and get into the cage above the elevator and ride them up and down the shaft in the dark.
When someone would call for the elevator, we would let the elevator go and pick up our almost always inebriated "prey," and then in the ensuing time between pick up and delivery to the appropriate floor that they wanted, we would stop the elevator between floors. (The cage has an override button on it for repairs, I suppose.)
Anyway, there were many who screamed, hollered, or prayed and avowed they would go the church the next day, if the elevator would just start moving again, so, ......... often,........... we would oblige them.

Yes, I am ashamed.

Last edited:

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines
You shouldn't be :wink:

Hmmmmmmmm.
Well, back in the day, still at Larch, we heard our HR was going to be a couple of days late in returning for the spring session. So, Kevin and I decided that Steve should have a surprise awaiting him when he returned. I don't know if the story is still told or not, maybe not, it wasn't that big of deal. Anyway, we pennied his door closed and Kevin said that was just lame, we needed to do something else, so we went to town and bought a couple of sheets of dry wall.
We took off the frame for the door and proceeded to set the drywall into the cavity after backing it with the appropriate spacing. You KNOW what happened next. We taped it off and painted it, even spackled it a bit, and the entrance to Steve's dorm room disappeared.
A couple of days later, when he got off the elevator, half of the floor was in the lounge and saw Steve's reaction. He spun completly around, DID A 360, thinking he had gotten off the other elevator and was facing the wall next to the lounge! He just sat down on the carpet, with his luggage next to him, head in hands.

We helped him get his door back.

Yes, I am ashamed.

Last edited:

farmerbrent

Feb 29, 2008
Hmmmmmmmm.
Well, back in the day, still at Larch, we heard our HR was going to be a couple of days late in returning for the spring session. So, Kevin and I decided that Steve should have a surprise awaiting him when he returned. I don't know if the story is still told or not, maybe not, it wasn't that big of deal. Anyway, we pennied his door closed and Kevin said that was just lame, we needed to do something else, so we went to town and bought a couple of sheets of dry wall.
We took off the frame for the door and proceeded to set the drywall into the cavity after backing it with the appropriate spacing. You KNOW what happened next. We taped it off and painted it, even spackled it a bit, and the entrance to Steve's dorm room disappeared.
A couple of days later, when he got off the elevator, half of the floor was in the lounge and saw Steve's reaction. He spun completly around, DID A 360, thinking he had gotten off the other elevator and was facing the wall next to the lounge! He just sat down on the carpet, with his luggage next to him, head in hands.
]
We helped him get his door back.

Yes, I am ashamed.

You win!. By far the most awesome stories on this thread. I am honored to be able to read them. You need to write a pilot for a sitcom or something. Thanks for making my night. I do want to go back to college again now, though.

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
Yes, I am ashamed.
Dude. You are the thread winner.

Please award this man no less than 10,000,000 credits.

While living on Trip Street in a co-ed apartment, my one roommate and I nearly completely switched two of our roommates' rooms one weekend while they were away. They had carpooled back to our hometown, and arrived sunday night together. The girl walked down the hallway with her arms full of stuff and pushed her door open with her foot. She just stood there for a good 5 seconds with her mouth open, then sidestepped in front of the other door and pushes it open. Looks back and forth a couple times, then without looking down the hall at all of us says, "Hey 'Scott,' your room is in my room!" Priceless. :yes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Balrog

Help Support Us

Become a patron