THE SUNDAY AFTER: Texas

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Sorry guys forgot to post this on the forum yesterday. Great stuff from Jay.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2017/09/the-sunday-after-texas-wah-wah-wah/

Completely accurate. Was saying these exact things after the first couple of series. The frustrating thing is how did the coaching staff not adjust at all because of the things said in article? Not once. It was clear that right off tackle with run game we could do damage. The game was one series away from being an ISU win. Said it after the Iowa game. Our short yardage plays are not good. Park needs to some 5 yard check down options. Steal some of the Iowa playbook with Wadley's routes.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I saw this yesterday, and I am with you on that. Just baffles me how many times ISU checked out of one thing into something worse. I think Manning was simply out coached and tricked into doing what Texas wanted him to do. Just overthinking a bit I guess. Not running Montgomery, especially after early success just seemed silly.

This is the first time I've felt we were truly out-coached.

I learn more football Xs and Os from Jay's posts than from any other blog, post or poster on this or any board. These have become my favorite morning after cures regardless of the root cause.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I was even more angry about the ISU offense after watching/reading this article. My wife got sick of me talking about beating the Texas blitz. Run the damn ball! Man it was all there....3-1 going to Norman. I thought it was a loser misses a bowl type game on Thursday. Guess, we'll be home for the holidays....again.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
PLEASE don't forget we just set university records with Manning at the helm. Put this clunker in context.

Against who? Iowa? They gave up about 600 yds to PSU and North Texas ran all over them too. Whoooppeee!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I was even more angry about the ISU offense after watching/reading this article. My wife got sick of me talking about beating the Texas blitz. Run the damn ball! Man it was all there....3-1 going to Norman. I thought it was a loser misses a bowl type game on Thursday. Guess, we'll be home for the holidays....again.

It only took the crowd Thursday night about 2 series to go from "pumped" to "yep, we're still ISU"..... and what is that atrocity on our helmets?? It was pretty much a morgue in there after the 1st quarter. It felt like everyone knew how it was going to turn out.

Really, the air went out of the balloon on the very first series when we threw on 3rd and 1 and got sacked. The section I was in was like "here we go again".

• Agree

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The bi-ploar avalanche of emotions on clonedudes slippery slope is in full force.

All I'm wondering is if our offense really faced much opposition in our first 3 games??? Possibly not. Texas was a whole different level of defense than we had faced all year.

Who wasn't a bit excited scoring over 40 a game in our first 3 games? I was. But I'm just now wondering if it wasn't a mirage?

Hopefully we'll see some big adjustments against OU. I don't expect to win, I just want to see us doing some smart things scheme wise.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
As someone who knows nothing about football strategy, I love these articles.

And without knowing much, I knew Manning had to be missing something in our playcalling Thursday night, I just didn't know what. Jay's illustrations/play breakdowns are great.

Having said that, it is WAY too early to give up on Manning. He's 34 years old. I've seen plenty of playcalling over the past two years that DID take advantage of something he saw from the opposing defense. The young man has potential.

During the broadcast, I heard the UT DC makes $1 million per year. ISU is not in that position, so we're going to pay for someone learning on the job. I'll say it now - Tom Manning might very well be our next HC if ISU is successful and he matures in his role as OC over the next few years. It was one game, fellas (and gals).

veteran4cy

Nov 13, 2012
Ankeny
It reminded me of the wv game last year. Lanning had just run all over TT, I know it was TT. But he only got in for one play and it was successful without the holding call. Campbell said he should have been in more. So are we going to move Montgomery to linebacker now since we couldn't figure out how to utilize him?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
It only took the crowd Thursday night about 2 series to go from "pumped" to "yep, we're still ISU"..... and what is that atrocity on our helmets?? It was pretty much a morgue in there after the 1st quarter. It felt like everyone knew how it was going to turn out.

Really, the air went out of the balloon on the very first series when we threw on 3rd and 1 and got sacked. The section I was in was like "here we go again".
Can some of the Manning supporters on this board help explain to me why we attempted this play.

• Agree

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
Sorry guys forgot to post this on the forum yesterday. Great stuff from Jay.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2017/09/the-sunday-after-texas-wah-wah-wah/

Two thumbs up Jay.
I am wondering if Manning forgot what our identity is or if we still don't know what it is. I thought Campbell wanted to be a run team first, but this game was a terrible effort to do that. Idk if manning thought park would be able to throw all night and that was the plan? Park maybe not ready for that mentally, he was terrible. He missed on throws and he missed in reads. Check downs were open but park like to drive the ball downfield and with pressure it doesn't work.
I thought this staff was beyond the level of awfulness that we saw, that's my biggest disappointment.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
In another game-related thread someone brought up using K-State or Iowa's schemes to give ISU a chance, with the argument being that scheme isn't the issue--that's likely true since ISU is well, ISU.

My problem with the other night, and after watching Jay's videos, is that there were things that worked that fit ISU's personnel, and they didn't go back to them, and things that were available that they didn't attempt to attack.

It's not that someone like KSU's actual scheme is something amazing. They just simply work to be very good at very few things that fit their players, to build off of. That's what I wish would have been the case the other night instead of trying to do everything.

Execution's an issue too...players need to make plays when the chance arises.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah and JJIII

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Another good analysis. I was sort of lost for the right word for what our offense was missing, and that was an outlet for Park. Either he will not check down or why weren't provided.

I think it's fixable, and better be, because other DC's are going to use Texas' game plan.

• Agree

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The real problem is not the offensive scheme, its the fact that our Offensive Lineman are NOT big 12 caliber ie. able to block the front 7 of the Texas Horns.....

Poor Jacob Park is in the pocket as his linemen get pushed back in his face with no place to throw the ball...Until our Offensive Line gets better this program will continue to struggle.....

Wanna beat Texas well just recruit better Offensive Linemen...Its really just that simple....but very hard to accomplish at ISU.

Go Cyclones ....Lets go to Norman and upset the Sooners

I don’t know how anyone can disagree with this post.

• Disagree
Reactions: bthebutcher

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
All I'm wondering is if our offense really faced much opposition in our first 3 games??? Possibly not. Texas was a whole different level of defense than we had faced all year.

Who wasn't a bit excited scoring over 40 a game in our first 3 games? I was. But I'm just now wondering if it wasn't a mirage?

Hopefully we'll see some big adjustments against OU. I don't expect to win, I just want to see us doing some smart things scheme wise.

What about the results from the end of last season?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron