*****The Super, Mega, Huge Big 12 Expansion Thread*****

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
"I don't think Missouri is going to get any sportsmanship awards from the Big 12 Conference this year..." -Chuck Neinas, Nov. 21

Moe Named Community of Champions Winner Missouri junior WR honored for fall term

Nov. 22, 2011

COLUMBIA, Mo. – Junior wide receiver T.J. Moe has been selected as a 2011 Fall Community of Champions winner, as announced Tuesday afternoon by the Big 12 Conference, in conjunction with Chick-fil-A. During the fall, winter and spring terms, one student-athlete from each institution is honored based on several criteria.

This criteria include an academic standard of a 3.00 grade point average or higher, the student-athletes involvement in community service programs and their demonstration of leadership and sportsmanship on and off the field.

The institution of the selected student-athletes will be awarded $4,500 from Chick-fil-A as a result of their efforts within the community.

Moe Named Community of Champions Winner - MISSOURI OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

I know, I know, it's not what he MEANT, but I can't help but have some fun at the old guy's expense...

You're an idiot. Someone from every university got that award.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Wow. I expected them to lose out of state kids but that's a Missouri kid:

Evan Boehm - Yahoo! Sports

Maybe Luke Knott (teammate) and CPR can swing him to the good guys. Guess he wants his family to be able to watch him play.
Simpsons-Nelson-haha.jpg

Hey Mizzoulander! What's your excuse to this now?

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
Hey Mizzoulander! What's your excuse to this now?

Based on his tweet, he sounds like a good kid who's struggling with a difficult choice. Like a lot of kids deciding on college.

BIGboehmTHEORY Evan Boehm
I really am sorry its one of the toughtest things I've had to do! Mizzou is still on my list I'm just confused right now! sorry guys

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Based on his tweet, he sounds like a good kid who's struggling with a difficult choice. Like a lot of kids deciding on college.

I really am sorry its one of the toughtest things I've had to do! Mizzou is still on my list I'm just confused right now! sorry guys
AKA "I'm really not sure if I want to get my *** kicked week in and week out so I don't know if I want to play for Missery"

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009

Was that Evan's tweet, or Dan Beebe's?

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
So, every conference BUT the SEC stinks?

I'd say that most EVERY team has a better winning percentage when its competition is weaker. (Duh.) But over the past 5 years, has the Big 12 ever been lower than 3rd in conference strength? Usually it's #2. Mizzou has benefitted from playing in the North Division, but there's not much they can do about that...you play the schedule you get.

The Big 12 HAS to have 9 games because its TV partners would walk if they didn't. I'll believe the SEC goes to 9 games when I see it. The coaches don't want it, and the conference will wait until it expands with 2 more teams before realigning the divisions and adding games. That's years down the road.

Everybody on the Gator Board agrees with me. There's not much to discuss. :smile:

Yeah. I mean how many times do you really need to both type and get in response such enlightening posts as derp!, yarp!, holla!, and go fetch me some boiled peanuts son.

Surprised you cannot find some message board from one of your new "friend" schools where you can talk about how they should be worried because they now have to fear about losing recruits to Missouri. Oh, wait, even your football coach has to get wasted to tolerate living there and being associated with that athletic department. My bad.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
So someone presented the board of curators at MU a false report claiming that they could get an extra $12 million from the SEC, and MU bought it, hook, line and sinker? That's hilarious.

I think it's unlikely that Missouri would make a major decision with long-term ramifications for the entire university off of a "false report." Does anybody here believe MU didn't take ENOUGH time to make its decision?

Neinas doesn't specify what information he believes to be "false." Missouri's under no obligation to share anything with him. This isn't a court case...if the financial report dealt with future revenue strategy for the SEC, then there's good reason NOT to share it.

From reading this, it seems like Neinas got his Depends in a wad over the fact that he wasn't allowed to "make his case" to the MU administration. The Big 12 had YEARS to prove that it was committed to all of its members. Yet none of the proposed changes were approved until after NU, CU and TAMU left, and when MU had one foot out the door.

Does SEC membership generate an extra $12M per year for Mizzou? We will find out. But if not, then that's MU's problem. Not Chuck Neinas's.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I think it's unlikely that Missouri would make a major decision with long-term ramifications for the entire university off of a "false report." Does anybody here believe MU didn't take ENOUGH time to make its decision?

Neinas doesn't specify what information he believes to be "false." Missouri's under no obligation to share anything with him. This isn't a court case...if the financial report dealt with future revenue strategy for the SEC, then there's good reason NOT to share it.

From reading this, it seems like Neinas got his Depends in a wad over the fact that he wasn't allowed to "make his case" to the MU administration. The Big 12 had YEARS to prove that it was committed to all of its members. Yet none of the proposed changes were approved until after NU, CU and TAMU left, and when MU had one foot out the door.

Does SEC membership generate an extra $12M per year for Mizzou? We will find out. But if not, then that's MU's problem. Not Chuck Neinas's.

poor, poor Mizzou...looking for love. Somewhere, anywhere.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

With all the extra money you will be getting just make out the check for the maximum Exit Fees that you owe. Exit money is not an issue. Remember? We are still waiting for the check.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Anybody see this posted today? More evidence that A&M is delusional and they used false reports about the Longhorn Network as a smoke screen to bolt...Delusional...sounds like of like Missouri...only difference is A&M will be middle of the pack SEC and Mizzou will be bottom of the pack SEC in a few years after they lose their Texas recruits

Texas Tech spokesman: ESPN did not threaten Tech | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Texas Tech spokesperson Blayne Beal said Monday that ESPN never threatened the university to air its Big 12 Conference football game against Texas on the Longhorn Network.

In a July 21 email from Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne that was published by the Dallas Morning News on Nov. 18, Byrne claimed ESPN "Threatened Tech."

"The first year of cable system is the critical startup time," Byrne wrote. "So far no cable systems have signed up. According to (Texas AD) Deloss (Dodds), tu contract calls for one game with best efforts for a 2nd game. ESPN pushing hard to get clearances and inventory. Threatened Tech. Deloss acknowledges ESPN rep did that but he stopped them from doing that anymore. Privately says he can control ESPN, publicly says he can't."

Beal said Monday that Byrne's claim of ESPN threatening Tech is "unequivocally not true."

"ESPN presented a plan," Beal said. "We reviewed it and decided against it."
The email, which contains a series of concerns regarding ESPN and the Longhorn Network, does not list a recipient. In the email, Byrne also notes that A&M needs "...a backup plan. SEC? Pac-12? Bigger-10?"

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
(leaving aside the contractual problems of having the conference slot the bowl teams...)

Not even a little. Mizzou is going to a bowl, there's no doubt. I could care less whether it's a Big 12 tie-in or not. Ticket City in Dallas vs. the Big 10 would be fine with me. Pinstripe in NYC in a baseball stadium against some Big East team would be less appealing, but also fine.

You know where a 5th-place SEC team goes bowling? Peach Bowl (now Chick-Fil-A) in ATL or Cotton in Texas. Even their crappy bowls are in places like Memphis or Nashville...fun and easy to get to.

Holiday Bowl in San Diego is a better 5th bowl than the Peach in ATL. ATL is a dump compared to San Diego.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
Here is an interesting read about our defacto conference commissioner Deloss Dodds. Good news for all of us who think we need to get back to 12 teams. Dodds says that further expansion has not been ruled out. Rutgers, Louisville, and BYU all named. Got to wonder if this might be one reason why the Big East expansion is taking so long.

Dodds thinks Horns will still play on future Thanksgivings

I am strongly in favor of going back to 12. Given the addition of WV, going East to create a regional rivalry within the conference only seems to make sense. Would think you could structure the entrance of these teams so that they gradually come up to full $$$ share without significantly harming the existing members in the short term.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Here is an interesting read about our defacto conference commissioner Deloss Dodds. Good news for all of us who think we need to get back to 12 teams. Dodds says that further expansion has not been ruled out. Rutgers, Louisville, and BYU all named. Got to wonder if this might be one reason why the Big East expansion is taking so long.

Dodds thinks Horns will still play on future Thanksgivings

I am strongly in favor of going back to 12. Given the addition of WV, going East to create a regional rivalry within the conference only seems to make sense. Would think you could structure the entrance of these teams so that they gradually come up to full $$$ share without significantly harming the existing members in the short term.

Interesting to hear Rutgers name thrown out. I think that Kirk Bohls speculation himself and nothing else.

As much as A&M/Mizzou fans would like you to think otherwise, I don't think DeLoss Dodds is the commish of the B12 anymore. The last couple years have given Texas a lot of negative pub and more defections by disgruntled members would either force Texas' hand to a move they don't want to make and give Texas more negative pub.

-------

In other news, and this may have already been posted, but it looks like BYU to Big East may not happen. Does that stop Boise from going, which kills the whole thing??? Who knows...

Report: BYU to Big East deal in trouble, attorneys are 'a piece of work' | BYU Sports | The Salt Lake Tribune

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
Interesting to hear Rutgers name thrown out. I think that Kirk Bohls speculation himself and nothing else.

As much as A&M/Mizzou fans would like you to think otherwise, I don't think DeLoss Dodds is the commish of the B12 anymore. The last couple years have given Texas a lot of negative pub and more defections by disgruntled members would either force Texas' hand to a move they don't want to make and give Texas more negative pub.

-------

In other news, and this may have already been posted, but it looks like BYU to Big East may not happen. Does that stop Boise from going, which kills the whole thing??? Who knows...

Report: BYU to Big East deal in trouble, attorneys are 'a piece of work' | BYU Sports | The Salt Lake Tribune

I hear you Cyman. I do think Dodds still carries a lot of weight in the conference though. The good news as far as I am concerned is that the article seems to indicate that Texas is now open to 12 teams. I would love to see the Big 12 take it even further and grab Louisville, Cincinnati, Rutgers, and UCONN to go to 14. That would collapse the Big East and perhaps just force ND's hand. Would be nice to be the aggressor for once.

Finally, did you see the article about Vandy's Associate AD saying that the SEC is not finished expanding. Really hope the target this time is the ACC and not UT for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.