Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I’m guessing in time something will get named and she will have a statue. I should have specified womens bball although you could make a really strong case for mens and womens.
There are many athletes that would be in front of her. That isn't a knock on her but you are getting out over your skis here.

Reactions: AllInForISU

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
What other womens bball player from the state or one that played within the state have been better?

The point of the post was it’s women’s basketball. Don’t include men, which you mentioned. It’s a different game and it’s not even comparable tbh.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
What other womens bball player from the state or one that played within the state have been better?
They didn’t specify women’s basketball. They said there are other great athletes from Iowa. Like Kurt Warner. Someone who actually has lead their team to championships

• Haha
Reactions: 1776

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
At the very least, you were considering it.
I said you could make a case, but that was that. It is hard to compare across different sports. And it would be from a dominant standpoint within the sport they compete in, not from a standpoint that CC could ever compete with men.

• Haha
Reactions: Cyhig

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I said you could make a case, but that was that. It is hard to compare across different sports.

She is the best women’s player to play in the state of Iowa through today. Full stop. She is not the best basketball player to play in the state. Almost any men’s guard who played Iowa or Iowa State on scholarship in the last 20 years minimum would wipe the floor with her in a one on one matchup. Insinuating it’s even close is an absolute joke.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
She is the best women’s player to play in the state of Iowa through today. Full stop. She is not the best basketball player to play in the state. Almost any men’s guard who played Iowa or Iowa State on scholarship in the last 20 years minimum would wipe the floor with her in a one on one matchup. Insinuating it’s even close is an absolute joke.
Have never said CC could compete with men. The media playing up the pistol record was asinine.

Reactions: AllInForISU

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Well I'll bet a mediocre NBA player today would probably wipe the floor with Elgin Baylor and Bob Cousey in one-on-one. An average male tennis player would wipe the court with Serena Williams. The 2023 LA Chargers would steamroll the 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers. I have no idea if CC is the best basketball player in the state's history or not, but it seems kind of silly to measure greatness based on that and not based on their success vs. the gender/era in which they compete.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: Candide

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Well I'll bet a mediocre NBA player today would probably wipe the floor with Elgin Baylor and Bob Cousey in one-on-one. An average male tennis player would wipe the court with Serena Williams. The 2023 LA Chargers would steamroll the 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers. I have no idea of CC is the best basketball player in the state's history or not, but it seems kind of silly to measure greatness based on that and not based on their success vs. the gender/era in which they compete.

I didn’t bring gender into it first, but I will certainly end the absurdity of entertaining the idea that she is as good as a D1 male basketball player.

As I said, she is the best women’s basketball player to ever play in Iowa through today. I don’t think that’s a debate.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I didn’t bring gender into it first, but I will certainly end the absurdity of entertaining the idea that she is as good as a D1 male basketball player.

As I said, she is the best women’s basketball player to ever play in Iowa through today. I don’t think that’s a debate.
I would say to date she is the best women's shooter in college basketball. She does not hold the high school scoring record for the state. And as a all round player she is down the list, not at the top.

Last edited: